What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Spitty

Juniors
I can't believe how blind the Broncos are to potential benefits of another Brisbane side when the Crushers were originally in town at 1995. The crowds for Crushers vs Broncos were:

49607 Brisbane v South Queensland QE II31-Mar-1995
34263 South Queensland v BrisbaneLang12-Apr-1996
source: http://stats.rleague.com/

A Brisbane derby would guarantee a sell out these days with the attention to membership which has a positive correlation to attendances. So it's best for Broncos to stop the 'protectionism' and think of what's best for SE QLD.

I mean AFL has 2 teams in WA & SA you didn't see them complain when a extra team was added they saw the advantages of the derbies.

Sorry mate but the Adelaide Crows have always complained about Port Adelaide being included and were totally against another AFL team in Adelaide before Port were promoted.

I don't think the Broncos are concerned about crowd numbers. The major concern is the competition for sponsors and corporate support.

Sorry mate but the Adelaide Crows have always complained about Port Adelaide being included and were totally against another AFL team in Adelaide before Port were promoted.

I don't think the Broncos are concerned about crowd numbers. The major concern is the competition for sponsors and corporate support.

Oh, I did not know that it was a general assumption I made but I am now corrected.

joshreading

Staff member
This is EXACTLY the foundations of an AMAZING rivarly. All good derbies have a sense of bitterness for something and this New team should use QRL links to breed some stories. Get some 'born and breds' that never played for the Broncos to hammer them about arrogance (yes just to increase the competition)

I do think this side should be open to community funding or some level of membership ownership or direct board representation. Especially if they could get a couple sides in the QRL to not only be 'feeders' but integral partners/share holders financially etc.
(for instance like GWS has done with ACT, open up the possibility of games/support IF there is strategic reciprocal support from the region - ACT4GWS had to get 5 thousand members AND GOT IT and thus also secured a board seat)

Who is a QLD Legend that has NEVER played for the Broncos and might have reason to hate them?

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
Both teams will have plenty of money to attack memberships, participation and junior funding in attempt to gain superiority.

The Broncos (and even their fans through memberships) sit on their hands but this will force them into action.

Who is a QLD Legend that has NEVER played for the Broncos and might have reason to hate them?

Any Storm player...

Spitty

Juniors
I'm one that thinks that if done right Brisbane 2 can make the Broncos bigger and better.

But in this corporate world of statistics and percentages, as far as the Broncos are concerned the status quo is a 100% chance of success. A change is a 75% chance. Best to stick with 100%.

joshreading

Staff member
HEY HEY, hands off the Storm players we 'aquired' them from QLD fair and square. Seriously though, yes there a couple but who has reason to be bitter.

Mal Meninga could be used to brew up the rivalry in that he played for Canberra but was a QLD legend.

He could drop some parocial statment about QLD but slightly damning of the Broncos and you could start a brush fire that puts some passion into this equation (which makes community passion more likely)

Goddo

Bench
The benefits for the game as a whole has to be the main concideration. The Broncos would benefit from the rivalry, and the game would have 2 sell outs at Suncorp guarenteed every year.

Corporate support is the one area though where there will be competition. But that can only be good can't it? Just look a the way sportsbet and sportingbet have backed either side.

This bid has very exciting potential for the game, which is why its caused such a stir. The bid team just needs to tap it.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
HEY HEY, hands off the Storm players we 'aquired' them from QLD fair and square. Seriously though, yes there a couple but who has reason to be bitter.

Mal Meninga could be used to brew up the rivalry in that he played for Canberra but was a QLD legend.

He could drop some parocial statment about QLD but slightly damning of the Broncos and you could start a brush fire that puts some passion into this equation (which makes community passion more likely)

Mal is the perfect man to spearhead the new club. He is revered in Brisbane on equal terms with Bennett, Lewis and Lockyer and would generate an enormous amount of support.

It is common knowledge now he is very keen to return to the NRL coaching ranks after his Origin tenure is over and I could not think of a greater challenge. He has a quick wit and could certainly stir up a good-natured rivalry with the Broncos.

There are risks, no doubt, but I believe it is one worth taking for Mal himself and the bid team. I hope they are pursuing him with tremendous energy.

BDGS

Bench
Yeah, its no surprise anyone close to the Broncos is against it. They feel threatened.

But it isn't fair for News Ltd to hold the game back by blocking expansion in SE Queensland simply for the Broncos gain. It wasn't right the way they had SQ Crushers and Gold Coast killed off.

Admitedly they had debt problems from the SL war, but so did a lot of teams. That area needs more teams to generate loyal fans, avenues for players, boosting TV rights, gaining sponsors from the area et cetera.

The NRL clearly needs more sides there.

lol, life isn't fair. get over it.

_Johnsy

Referee
Who would have thought that the brisbane broncs "faithful" would be dead against a 2nd SE QLD team. protect your market, TBH at least a 2nd Brisbane side is a must.

AuDragon

Juniors
Who would have thought that the brisbane broncs "faithful" would be dead against a 2nd SE QLD team. protect your market, TBH at least a 2nd Brisbane side is a must.
I'm not against a second team in Brissy. It will make for a true derby with lots of rivalry and 2 more sold out games at Suncorp.

Yes, we may loose some corporate sponsoring, but it will be good for the game and will be another avenue for our talent up here.

johns_reds

First Grade

I'm a massive Broncos fan and i've been saying since this bid was launched that this would be one of the best options besides Perth.

Goddo

Bench
Well, you guys are Broncos fans, but also fans of Rugby League, so understandably you want whats best for the game in Brisbane which is another side.

However, there are those with vested interests in the Broncos who for their own gain would rather hold Rugby League back in Queensland. This would involve quite a few Brisbane players, a large section of its ownership and management structure.

News Ltd have a conflict of interest here though. They want their team the Broncos to dominate, but they also want more Qld TV content. They can't have it both ways.

AuDragon

Juniors
Well, you guys are Broncos fans, but also fans of Rugby League, so understandably you want whats best for the game in Brisbane which is another side.

However, there are those with vested interests in the Broncos who for their own gain would rather hold Rugby League back in Queensland. This would involve quite a few Brisbane players, a large section of its ownership and management structure.

News Ltd have a conflict of interest here though. They want their team the Broncos to dominate, but they also want more Qld TV content. They can't have it both ways.
So you're not really talking about fans, but a minority of people with interests that would collide with a second Brisbane team... Not sure why you mention players though, can't see any reason for them to be against a serious Brisbane bid...

Perth Red

Post Whore
going to be interesting to see how much influence clubs have on the IC's first major decision.
1. Clubs have major influence and no expansion unless TV wants to pay alot more
2. The almight Broncos cabosh the BRisbane2 bid with the help of the Titans
3. Sydney clubs cabosh the Bears led by Manly and Newcastle.

Times like this I am glad we're not a heartland bid!