What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

adamkungl

Immortal
What do people see as the ideal situation for QLD, in say 20-30 years. Lets pretend we have a 24 team comp or so with 2 conferences...

I'd go with
Brisbane Broncos
Nth QLD
GC Titans representing the South East
Ipswich representing South West Brisbane
Redcliffe or something representing North East Brisbane
Central QLD if the population is there

Is a second Brisbane city team the right option?

What do people see as the ideal situation for QLD, in say 20-30 years. Lets pretend we have a 24 team comp or so with 2 conferences...

I'd go with
Brisbane Broncos
Nth QLD
GC Titans representing the South East
Ipswich representing South West Brisbane
Redcliffe or something representing North East Brisbane
Central QLD if the population is there

Is a second Brisbane city team the right option?
I think ideally the Broncos will entrench themselves more as a northside team and there will be a team for the southside and a team for the greater Ipswich region which will essentially be western Brisbane by then, plus obviously the GC. I don't think there is a great need for any more teams. Four big, strong clubs in SEQ would ensure RL's position as top dog without going overboard and having too many clubs in the market like in Sydney. I think the idea of having more clubs should not be anout bringing the Broncos down a peg or two by competing with them. The plan should be to have four clubs that are at least as big as the Broncos. If Sydney clubs can't compete with that, tough luck.

BDGS

Bench
Well you'll be happy to see Ipswich or Easts or any other bid in ahead of the Bears then.

Is this a question?

If so, yes i would be as long as its done right.

So far, no SEQ bid has got the right location with the right style of bid. By style i mean the way things are done and the motivates for such things.

So you say you support a Brisbane team but none of the bids. That's convenient.

I support a team on the CC, but there's no bids that have the right style for mine.

clarency

Juniors
I do want a second Brisbane team, just not one that is run by this bid team.

This is the most trivial point, it's amazing you think anyone buys it at all.

It's like me saying:

"Yea of course, I wana see a team coming out of Central Coast playing at Bluetongue that are called the Bears. I just don't like their CEO's hair colour... Sorry but it gets a no from me..."

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So far, no SEQ bid has got the right location with the right style of bid. By style i mean the way things are done and the motivates for such things.
Where is the right location?, let me guess - the central coast of nsw and the north shore of Sydney.
And the right style? I think I've got that answer covered as well - one run by ex North Sydney bears players and fans.

You obviously went to the Greg Inglis school of geography.

Last edited:

wanted man

Juniors
I think Redcliffe would be a good tie in with the Sunshine Coast sometime in the future, certainly not in the next five years though , as Ipswich, CQ are next in line as QLD teams IMO. Redcliffe is a short drive to the major population centres of the sunny coast including Caboolture, Caloundra, Kawana and Maroochydore. Sunhine coast school boys representative teams are already picked from players that play for schools from Redcliffe to Noosa. The SUNSHINE COAST DOLPHINS captures both areas images very well. Not a fan of the second inner city Brisbane team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What is RL's fascination with wanting teams in every suburb? two teams that represent the whole city is the best way to go. Brisbane should have two teams and no more, we want teams to be massive successful businesses not be at each others throats all fighting for the same limited corporate $ and fan. Queensland should have 5 possibly 6. Two Brisbanes, GC, NQ and CQ or Sunshine coast depending on how each area develops in the next couple of decades.

Every suburb? Hardly. Because Brisbane has three distinct areas. North, South and increasingly the greater West, which can and will include Ipswich. And they will all be bigger than CQ or Sunshine Coast, even in 20 years. Brisbane is geographically the second biggest city in the Southern Hemisphere and it was first until the four Auckland districts became one city. The distances between Redcliffe, Logan City and Ipswich are huge.

smithie

Juniors
What is RL's fascination with wanting teams in every suburb? two teams that represent the whole city is the best way to go. Brisbane should have two teams and no more, we want teams to be massive successful businesses not be at each others throats all fighting for the same limited corporate $ and fan. Queensland should have 5 possibly 6. Two Brisbanes, GC, NQ and CQ or Sunshine coast depending on how each area develops in the next couple of decades.

Thank you, I couldn't agree more. There are a hell of a lot of people that seem it forget what the "N" stands for in NRL. The real issue here is why do all of these QRL clubs feel they need to be in the NRL?

Mr Fourex

Bench
Thank you, I couldn't agree more. There are a hell of a lot of people that seem it forget what the "N" stands for in NRL. The real issue here is why do all of these QRL clubs feel they need to be in the NRL?

So what part of Australia are the Auckland Warriors from?

There needs to be more QLD based sides in the NRL because of the huge gap between the number of NSW based sides and QLD based sides.

And as for the real issue.......the real issue is QLD players should be able to play in the NRL and still remain in their home state. To do that there needs to be a greater number of QLD based teams.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
So you say you support a Brisbane team but none of the bids.

None of the current bids are the right bids to lead the NRL into the future.

I support a team on the CC, but there's no bids that have the right style for mine.

If that is your opinion, then fair enough. No body can argue with that.

If you were to ask me what type of bid from SEQ i would support, then that would be a different thing altogether.

BDGS

Bench
This is the most trivial point, it's amazing you think anyone buys it at all.

It's like me saying:

"Yea of course, I wana see a team coming out of Central Coast playing at Bluetongue that are called the Bears. I just don't like their CEO's hair colour... Sorry but it gets a no from me..."

When did i mentioned that i made my decision not to like the Brisbane2 bid because of their CEO?

Mr. Davidson is a good and successful businessman and good luck to him in his future path, whatever he decides that is.

I do not like how the bid is run, the bids attitude and things they are doing to the things they aren't doing.

If i thought any bid was run well and would serve the NRL well into the future, i wouldn't give two sh*ts about who is in charge. If it is Hitler or Ribot, if its a good bid its a good bid.

There is nothing personal about what i think of the Brisbane2 bid.

BDGS

Bench
I think Redcliffe would be a good tie in with the Sunshine Coast sometime in the future, certainly not in the next five years though , as Ipswich, CQ are next in line as QLD teams IMO. Redcliffe is a short drive to the major population centres of the sunny coast including Caboolture, Caloundra, Kawana and Maroochydore. Sunhine coast school boys representative teams are already picked from players that play for schools from Redcliffe to Noosa. The SUNSHINE COAST DOLPHINS captures both areas images very well. Not a fan of the second inner city Brisbane team.

Now that type of bid is something i have mentioned a few times on another forum. An Redcliffe bid that can also bring in all the community you mentioned but i'm particularly drawn to it because of its ties to both North Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast.

The bid should incorporate the community into the bid as well, not just a cop out of "you choose the name and colours" but also get residents of those areas inside the bid running it, get people feeling apart of the bid, tie in with local junior Rugby League competitions as well as Indigenous Rugby League in that area. If all that is achieved, the Redcliffe Dolphins would be one of the biggest sporting teams in the country when successful.

BDGS

Bench
Thank you, I couldn't agree more. There are a hell of a lot of people that seem it forget what the "N" stands for in NRL.

Exactly right!

Its the NATIONAL rugby league, not the East Coast Rugby League. WA are a must at the next expansion window and then we need to be seriously looking at SA or Adelaide and get there before Rugger does. Whether that is a relocation of a current team OR an their own team OR a relocation of one of the SEQ bids to Adelaide.

Could you imagine that, you could get the Ipswich and Newtown Jets together to form a bid located in Adelaide. One jersey can be green, yellow and white, the other the traditional Newtown Jets jersey. They can be called "South Australia" or "Adelaide" Jets and the the nickname "jets"can represent both Ipswich and Newtown. The team (if successful) would have three junior areas which to get talent and sponsorship from (South Australia, Ipswich and Newtown)

Mr Fourex

Bench
Exactly right!

Its the NATIONAL rugby league, not the East Coast Rugby League. WA are a must at the next expansion window and then we need to be seriously looking at SA or Adelaide and get there before Rugger does. Whether that is a relocation of a current team OR an their own team OR a relocation of one of the SEQ bids to Adelaide.

Sounds as if you have already conceded that the league playing states will need to prop up the non-league playing states .........