What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

BDGS

Bench
I know where you going and to infer that it is the same because Craig Davidson was the head of the Broncos' Thoroughbreds. Linking him strongly with the Broncos and because of the Broncos ties with News etc - therefore it is the same - is stupid.

Good thing that's not what I'm doing then.

BDGS

Bench
I see nothing in the Brisbane2 development so far that would suggest they won't do fan engagement. In fact what club doesn;t engage with its fans through a variety of mediums?

You mean from behind their computers on facebook and twitter?

Not that i'm knocking facebook and twitter, done correctly you have two very powerful weapons at your finger tips. Unfortunately, you have to the hard yards in the ACTUAL community and not in the cyberspace community. imo

In reference to towards the nothing saying that suggests they won't engage friends, there is also nothing to suggest they will (ala Broncos) and at this stage of the their bid i believe it is a vital thing to have.

I agree that a conglomerate of Brisbane2 plus 2 or 3 Q'land cup teams would be a very powerful proposition. I somehow can;t see it though as the Q'land cup teams would still play second fiddle to the NRL side and there would be constant power struggles. I would have concerns over promotion of a Q'land cup side as you would naturally get many people who wouldn;t support them as they already allign themselves with other existing Q'land cup clubs.

I agree with these statements

re Adelaide. With a decent strategy and $1mill a year investment spent in SA you could have them ready for the NRL within 5-6 years. Perth has done it over the 7 years with very little ARL money or NRL support. With both of those things Perth would have been ready in under 5 years.

Totally agree here again.

adamkungl

Immortal
2013 CC and WA
2016 Brisbane2 and Southern NZ
2025 Adelaide and PNG
that would be my dream line up for expansion over the next two decades

Agree. For PNG however, I would allow them entry at ANY time if they could provide a holeproof bid with everything 100% covered - stadium, finances, players. Simply because they are the one bid that would result in a large almost instant influx of players to the NRL, and an entire new international market, automatically justifying their inclusion.

Have to disagree with the last statement - David Gallop said on Thursday the NRL is not attracted to a Brisbane CBD team due to the oversaturation of the sporting landscape there and the impact such a team would have on the Broncos.

Both Ipswich bids are in there infancy and need a stadium built, as does CQLD, which population wise is probably 15-20 years away from NRL levels. David Gallop was more positive in his comments long term re these locations.

By a process of elimination there are two contenders left for inclusion in 2013 or 2014, the two whom the NRL have been spruiking for 1 year now.

did you miss the part on thursday, where he also said that he had concerns re the overcrowding between the central coast and newcastle

the old bamboozle them with bullsh*t and hope they swallow it, again

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agree. For PNG however, I would allow them entry at ANY time if they could provide a holeproof bid with everything 100% covered - stadium, finances, players. Simply because they are the one bid that would result in a large almost instant influx of players to the NRL, and an entire new international market, automatically justifying their inclusion.

PNG would be a MASSIVE challenge but also a massive pay off for RL generally if not the NRL. Again a proactive NRL that partnered with the PNGRL and PNG Govt to build the bid in all the right ways would be the only likely way it would ever happen. Sadly I can't ever see RL being that visionary and proative, even with all the money in the world.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You mean from behind their computers on facebook and twitter?

Not that i'm knocking facebook and twitter, done correctly you have two very powerful weapons at your finger tips. Unfortunately, you have to the hard yards in the ACTUAL community and not in the cyberspace community. imo

In reference to towards the nothing saying that suggests they won't engage friends, there is also nothing to suggest they will (ala Broncos) and at this stage of the their bid i believe it is a vital thing to have.

Not knowing too much about Brisbane maybe Brisane fans can agree or refute that the Broncos do not engage with their fans or local community?

Is it really by chance or lack of choice that 30K of them turn up every week?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
After reading all this, you really shouldn't comment on Adelaide. :lol:

I was in Adelaide recently and was talking to an CEO of a jewelery business that was considering approaching one of the NRL bids to sponsor due the coverage that possible team would get in Eastern Australia.

I was there for two days and got this, imagine how much a person with business and marketing background could get if they set up and approached business in the right way.

Saying we can't sustain a team in an area where AFL has two clubs and even the A-league has a fairly solid team there in Adelaide united is a cop out mostly from people with invested interests.

You can also see they are interested in the game from the 10k fans that showed up in freezing conditions to watch a team that couldn't get points take on a team that missed out on the top 8, and the very successful Bulldogs fans days in the area last year which was so successful that the dogs went back their this year for the one community carnivals.

You then go on to say the Stadium is crap and the government won't support it, i'm interested in knowing how your last meeting with the SA government on this matter went.

Before this you assume that everybody in Adelaide is an AFL fan, thats not true. Is everybody in QLD a Rugby League fan? no.

Assuming both AFL teams have 600k without any research or backing up is wrong.

However, an SA or Adelaide team is 5 years away if done right.
It seems that our favourite* Bear supporter spends his days travelling from region to region annoying everyone he meets talking about expansion in areas he favours. And in two days the great** and intrepid BearDGS has gauged the thoughts of the Adelaide people and their desperate need and willingness for a NRL side.

Unfortunately, for our little, simpleminded*** Bear the truth about Adelaide's readiness is far removed from his little fairytale about jewellers. Although in time a NRL side could fit into this city's landscape 5 years is far too early, especially if Perth comes in in 2013 or 2014. Players would have to be found to fill Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne as they are yet to produce anywhere near enough 1st grade level players (and Matt 'sideshow bob' Peterson does not constitute enough 1st Graders from Perth). Adelaide is 20+ years off.

Where will these 1st graders come from? The ESL will contribute some players but not the raging torrent that many seem to think. Apart from a few who have had to leave the NRL because of salary cap pressures the majority of ESL players are in Europe because they are simply not good enough for the NRL. 'Bringing them back' will dilute the strength of our competition.

The other option is the Melbourne solution - Queenslanders. But why pillage Queensland to provide players to non league areas. Why not do the logical thing and put another team in Brisbane? Too logical?

* :sarcasm:
** :sarcasm:
*** not at all :sarcasm:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Players would have to be found to fill Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne as they are yet to produce anywhere near enough 1st grade level players (and Matt 'sideshow bob' Peterson does not constitute enough 1st Graders from Perth). Adelaide is 20+ years off.

Where will these 1st graders come from? The ESL will contribute some players but not the raging torrent that many seem to think. Apart from a few who have had to leave the NRL because of salary cap pressures the majority of ESL players are in Europe because they are simply not good enough for the NRL. 'Bringing them back' will dilute the strength of our competition.

The other option is the Melbourne solution - Queenslanders. But why pillage Queensland to provide players to non league areas. Why not do the logical thing and put another team in Brisbane? Too logical?

* :sarcasm:
** :sarcasm:
*** not at all :sarcasm:

You mean like why pillage Kiwis to fill Australian club ranks, surely we should be putting a 2nd NZ team in the comp?

Also with zero profile, RU muscling in, virtually zero help from the NRL and not alot more from the ARL Perth has produced 5 or 6 current first graders. Sure not alot and no where near enough to fill a team but imagine with a much bigger profile, much more money, an NRL team owned by the WARL and vastly improved jnr programmes how many more players we could produce. Melbourne's model was poor from day one and its taken 10 years before they got serious about the VRL and jnr development (though I would argue they still have alot more they could be doing at Victorian grass roots level). Chuck in PNG, a quickly improving NZRL, SL Aussies and English and even SARU ripe for the picking and there is more than enough talent to go around.

The bolded part is an absolute myth. 75% of the Aussies/Kiwis in SL would still be in first teams if they hadn;t chased more lucrative contracts overseas. Ryan Tandy couldn;t even get a SL place yet walked straight back into NRL 1st grade, the flow of players straight back into the NRL from SL recently debunks this "Phil Gould" myth completely.

applesauce

Bench
Not knowing too much about Brisbane maybe Brisane fans can agree or refute that the Broncos do not engage with their fans or local community?

Is it really by chance or lack of choice that 30K of them turn up every week?

TBH the Broncos do a piss poor effort in terms of school visits and community involvement. They raise money here and there, do the odd public appearances but it falls well short of what I would expect.

They are very accessible to corporate Brisbane, doing dinners, tours etc with former players and any businessmen that want to be involved.

In many ways they don't need to engage the community anymore. They have money to advertise which grows the fan base consistently and are not in a financial position to have to claim their turf, grow their fans and increase their profits even further because the current setup is self-fulfilling, allowing continual growth with little effort.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You mean like why pillage Kiwis to fill Australian club ranks, surely we should be putting a 2nd NZ team in the comp? .
We are not pillaging Kiwis. the polynesian and kiwi influx has come from those who were born in Australia or came here at a young age. But you are correct - a second New Zealand side is much more feasible than one from Adelaide. But the warriors are the caution - 16 years in the competition and they have had middling onfield success.

Also with zero profile, RU muscling in, virtually zero help from the NRL and not alot more from the ARL Perth has produced 5 or 6 current first graders. Sure not alot and no where near enough to fill a team but imagine with a much bigger profile, much more money, an NRL team owned by the WARL and vastly improved jnr programmes how many more players we could produce..
Please provide their names as I honestly confess ignorance to their existence.
Yes, Perth/WA will provide juniors eventually but short term they will need to be subsidised from NSW and QLD for the foreseeable future.

Melbourne's model was poor from day one and its taken 10 years before they got serious about the VRL and jnr development (though I would argue they still have alot more they could be doing at Victorian grass roots level). Chuck in PNG, a quickly improving NZRL, SL Aussies and English and even SARU ripe for the picking and there is more than enough talent to go around.
Paul Aiton is the one PNG player I can name offhand who is first grade material. The standard in PNG is far, far below that required of the NRL. It will take a whole generation change of nutrional improvements, coaching, equipment and the like before PNG is a viable source of NRL talent. And if they do become so, wouldn't it be better for them to have their own side rather than farming them out?

As for Victoria and South Australia - there is noone on the horizon. League is the toughest sport in the world to play for what it does to the body. It takes a lot of time for players to develop the necessary physical hardness to play the game at the top level. Even if the NRL threw truckloads of cash at these leagues the first generation of Vic and SA players are 5-6 year olds.
The bolded part is an absolute myth. 75% of the Aussies/Kiwis in SL would still be in first teams if they hadn;t chased more lucrative contracts overseas. Ryan Tandy couldn;t even get a SL place yet walked straight back into NRL 1st grade, the flow of players straight back into the NRL from SL recently debunks this "Phil Gould" myth completely.
Please do a Jamie and Adam and bust this myth for me by providing a list of ten Aussie/Kiwi players good enough to 'walk back into the NRL'. I am happy to be proven wrong. And I'm not talking about players who come back for one season and then retire.

BDGS

Bench
When you type out crap that is painful to read only after 2 lines it is pretty easy to ignore it and just move on. Thus why i haven't responded to any post of yours for a while now. Just a tip take it or leave.

TBH the Broncos do a piss poor effort in terms of school visits and community involvement. They raise money here and there, do the odd public appearances but it falls well short of what I would expect.

They are very accessible to corporate Brisbane, doing dinners, tours etc with former players and any businessmen that want to be involved.

In many ways they don't need to engage the community anymore. They have money to advertise which grows the fan base consistently and are not in a financial position to have to claim their turf, grow their fans and increase their profits even further because the current setup is self-fulfilling, allowing continual growth with little effort.

I think this is a very good way of summing it up, now the question is do we want two Brisbane teams like this or do we want a new one to engage the community in all the ways the Broncos don't and more which should (hopefully) kick the Broncos arses into gear?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
When you type out crap that is painful to read only after 2 lines it is pretty easy to ignore it and just move on. Thus why i haven't responded to any post of yours for a while now. Just a tip take it or leave.
Bear we know the reason you don't respond to logic is because it hurts your mind. A little tip - if you truly want to ignore reason and truth put me on your ignore list and continue to live in your narrow minded fantasy land. It won't make a lick of difference to me.

If you post inane bullsh*t be prepared to be pulled up on it.
Here's a picture, I know you love them. This represents you discussing League in Adelaide
images

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Just want to thank the poster below for yet another peice of readings that both flowed and contributed to the discussion in ways we would all of been less for if we had not read.

Bear we know the reason you don't respond to logic is because it hurts your mind.

You don't have logic, you have pictures.

A little tip - if you truly want to ignore reason and truth put me on your ignore list

That is too much time to spend on a scum bag like yourself.

and continue to live in your narrow minded

I'm narrow minded despite discussing a number of possibility for NRL teams that aren't necessarily in Rugby League heartlands? yeah good on ya for that one :sarcasm:

fantasy land. It won't make a lick of difference to me.

use your own terms, copying ones used by other people is just sad, particularly when it was used only a few post ago.

If you post inane bullsh*t be prepared to be pulled up on it.
Here's a picture, I know you love them. This represents you discussing League in Adelaide
images

Go to bed little boy, you have school tomorrow.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Just want to thank the poster below for yet another peice of readings that both flowed and contributed to the discussion in ways we would all of been less for if we had not read..
English please.

You don't have logic, you have pictures.
Pictures can be logical peanut. And just because what I have to post doesn't suit your small minded made up agenda doesn't make it illogical.

That is too much time to spend on a scum bag like yourself.
Translation: Bear has the inability to perform even the most basic of tasks.

I'm narrow minded despite discussing a number of possibility for NRL teams that aren't necessarily in Rugby League heartlands? yeah good on ya for that one :sarcasm: .
You're narrow minded because you are constantly putting down the Brisbane bid because you have an abject fear of your beloved bears missing out. And don't confuse delusion with broad mindedness - despite what your 'Adelaide jeweller' says Adelaide is a long way off from a self sustaining NRL side.

use your own terms, copying ones used by other people is just sad, particularly when it was used only a few post ago.
Fantasy land is your own term? Laughable.

Go to bed little boy, you have school tomorrow.
For the upteenth time you are wrong. I'd suggest you have a nap lad - all this bullsh*t you sprout must make you extremely tired.

Keep rolling out the bullsh*t chump.

Mr Fourex

Bench
To start off they will, after 5-10 years they won't.

Look at Melbourne, some real good Victorian talent now playing for the Storm Toyota cup and SG Ball team with strong results. Within the next two years the first Victorian developed player will be playing in the NRL.

The NRL unlike the AFL does not have a draft system in place to force players to teams located in 'poor junior participations areas', so we may have to go about things a bit different.

Could you imagine an Ipswich/Newtown jets team located in SA, how strong would that team be in 10 years?

.......let's "look at Melbourne". The rugby league gene pool in QLD was raffled off to support the Storm. The storm only exists because of the player resource it gets/got from QLD.

QLD born players HAVE to accept these offers from other clubs because there are not enough alternatives to stay in their home state

QLD shouldnt just get teams purely because NSW has more, thats a bit whiny to me..
Teams should be admitted based on their merits alone, and what they can bring to the comp. QLD has a lot of players to choose from, but whether theyre of NRL quality is another thing, just having QLD teams to give QLD born players a go wont be successful in the long run.

QLD has proven itself as the premier league state. It's a joke that nearly 70% of the "NRL" is still made up of teams based in NSW. The QLD bids would be based on their merits and would succeed if the NRL supported it with the same fervour as it does in trying to justify the NRL name brand.

just having QLD teams to give QLD born players a go wont be successful in the long run.

Yes having the Broncos, Cowboys and the Gold Coast Titans admitted into the NRL has been a tremendous failure. ......:roll:

There are currently 55 players of "NRL quality" playing for clubs outside of QLD. Qld could probably form a 2nd string SOO side out of these players and still give NSW a touch up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Please provide their names as I honestly confess ignorance to their existence.
Yes, Perth/WA will provide juniors eventually but short term they will need to be subsidised from NSW and QLD for the foreseeable future.

Please do a Jamie and Adam and bust this myth for me by providing a list of ten Aussie/Kiwi players good enough to 'walk back into the NRL'. I am happy to be proven wrong. And I'm not talking about players who come back for one season and then retire.

point one, of top of my head all of these played WARL jnr comp

Cory Patterson, Bronx and Bryson Goodwin, Jon Green, Daniel Holdsworth, Le Te Marri. As I said not any superstars yet but within a few years of an NRL team we will be producing alot more. Our SG Ball side just beat the Western Sydney Academy, shows that talent is here in the West.

In terms of SL players who would start at an NRL club next season; Mason, Newton, Dobson, Finch, Hoffman, Lima, O'Meley, Buderus, Green, Webb, Cross,Perry,SA to name just a handful.

Sure some of them might only have a couple of seasons left in them but to suggest there isn't talent in Sl that would still be playing 1st grade is a total myth. You could comfortably build two squads out of them for next season and no doubt come 2012 you could do the same for 2013.

Recent player returns, Johnson, Orford, Eastwood, etc etc

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
point one, of top of my head all of these played WARL jnr comp

Cory Patterson, Bronx and Bryson Goodwin, Jon Green, Daniel Holdsworth, Le Te Marri. As I said not any superstars yet but within a few years of an NRL team we will be producing alot more. Our SG Ball side just beat the Western Sydney Academy, shows that talent is here in the West.
Fair enough. I'm not doubting the talent and potential in Perth but just questioning the ability of league to sustain Adelaide as well as Melbourne and, hopefully in 2013, Perth. Perth is an absolute must for expansion if it comes in 2013.

BDGS

Bench
English please.

Pictures can be logical peanut. And just because what I have to post doesn't suit your small minded made up agenda doesn't make it illogical.

Translation: Bear has the inability to perform even the most basic of tasks.

You're narrow minded because you are constantly putting down the Brisbane bid because you have an abject fear of your beloved bears missing out. And don't confuse delusion with broad mindedness - despite what your 'Adelaide jeweller' says Adelaide is a long way off from a self sustaining NRL side.

Fantasy land is your own term? Laughable.

For the upteenth time you are wrong. I'd suggest you have a nap lad - all this bullsh*t you sprout must make you extremely tired.

Keep rolling out the bullsh*t chump.

yeah i read none of that, utter bullsh*t.

But i'll put it in terms that you will understand
yawn-2.jpg