What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
it would seem he prefers the NQ or Newcastle model, lots of community engagement but on the bones of their ar5e5! I am sure if you ask Broncos fans they don't really care about the business model of their club, they enjoy the worlds best RL facilties, the worlds biggest RL crowds, a succesful team on the field and a club with a very high profile that makes a profit. Personally I would have no problems if my club was meeting those criteria!

age.s

First Grade
I really think that the NRL should get serious about expansion, and add 2 teams to the comp in 2013, with a stated clear plan for 2 more in 2015.

All this talk about the playing depth not being high enough for 20 teams ignores the fact that we won't produce more players if we don't grow junior bases in new areas. The best way to do this is to increase interest in the game in new areas. We're not going to increase playing depth by plumbing the same junior bases over and over. It also ignores the fact that there are 3 more teams with extremely strong cases for being admitted into the competition, and limiting ourselves to two slots shuns a potentially valuable option from the competition.

I really think the NRL needs to go national again. I know Adelaide is the least popular expansion option here, I know it's the city with the lowest growth in the country, I know it's an AFL city. Still it's home to 1.2m people, and we need to have a plan to get the game growing in every major city in this country so the game does not stagnate long term.

While the Bears and Brisbane 2 are heartland areas, the merits of both have been pretty well documented. The most important rationale for the Bears (imo) is to finally heal the wounds of the great war. It would be fitting that they re enter the comp as News Limited leaves.

I'd like to see the NRL go with.
2013 - CC, WA
at the same time announce
2015 - Brisbane 2, Adelaide.

WA and Adelaide would need to be propped up, so this would obviously be dependant on enough money coming from the new TV deal. Still this is what I'd like to see happen.

BDGS

Bench
Sounds as if you have already conceded that the league playing states will need to prop up the non-league playing states .........

To start off they will, after 5-10 years they won't.

Look at Melbourne, some real good Victorian talent now playing for the Storm Toyota cup and SG Ball team with strong results. Within the next two years the first Victorian developed player will be playing in the NRL.

The NRL unlike the AFL does not have a draft system in place to force players to teams located in 'poor junior participations areas', so we may have to go about things a bit different.

Could you imagine an Ipswich/Newtown jets team located in SA, how strong would that team be in 10 years?

sheepbender

Juniors
So what part of Australia are the Auckland Warriors from?

There needs to be more QLD based sides in the NRL because of the huge gap between the number of NSW based sides and QLD based sides.

And as for the real issue.......the real issue is QLD players should be able to play in the NRL and still remain in their home state. To do that there needs to be a greater number of QLD based teams.

QLD shouldnt just get teams purely because NSW has more, thats a bit whiny to me..
Teams should be admitted based on their merits alone, and what they can bring to the comp. QLD has a lot of players to choose from, but whether theyre of NRL quality is another thing, just having QLD teams to give QLD born players a go wont be successful in the long run.

Until the Brisbane 2 idea was floated, Id never thought of it, Ipswich and CQ are solid ideas, but probably still a long way off. Although I think having a Bris2 would put Ipswich even further back.

And in my opinion Adelaide is a very very long way off, 20 years minimum, a 2nd NZ team would be better..

BDGS

Bench
it would seem he prefers the NQ or Newcastle model, lots of community engagement but on the bones of their ar5e5! I am sure if you ask Broncos fans they don't really care about the business model of their club, they enjoy the worlds best RL facilties, the worlds biggest RL crowds, a succesful team on the field and a club with a very high profile that makes a profit. Personally I would have no problems if my club was meeting those criteria!

I'm guessing you are referring to me?

The model is not exclusive to regional areas like NQ and Newcastle. I know that Canterbury, Penrith, Parramatta, Melbourne Storm and even the Sydney Swans all do this.

Look at the Melbourne Storm, South Sydney Rabbitohs and what the Newcastle Knights will be by the next few months. These are clubs owned by rich businesses or rich people, the business models of these clubs are solid and results in strong teams (off Field) however both the Melbourne Storm and the South Sydney Rabbitohs are two clubs that are just as active in their communities as the Cowboys are in almost every way, Interest, junior days, fans days etc etc.

The Newcastle Knights run under Tinkler will be like this too, they will continue with their work in their community despite the fact that their financials will be safe.

Whats wrong with having the best of both worlds? In fact the best of both worlds are the way of the future for Rugby League in Australia. Look at the Broncos territory, look at how famous of a club they are, look at how poor their membership numbers are compared to that? why is this? because they aren't active in the slightest in the community.

BDGS

Bench
QLD shouldnt just get teams purely because NSW has more, thats a bit whiny to me..
Teams should be admitted based on their merits alone, and what they can bring to the comp. QLD has a lot of players to choose from, but whether theyre of NRL quality is another thing, just having QLD teams to give QLD born players a go wont be successful in the long run.

Until the Brisbane 2 idea was floated, Id never thought of it, Ipswich and CQ are solid ideas, but probably still a long way off.

I agree with everything from here.

And in my opinion Adelaide is a very very long way off, 20 years minimum, a 2nd NZ team would be better..

True, but remember up until the NRL realised it would get a significant financial boost by having a WA team, they were saying WA were 15 years away. I'm sure if SA can offer a similar financial boost as WA then they will also be fast tracked in the minds of the NRL.

Although I think having a Bris2 would put Ipswich even further back.

Brisbane2 would kill any chance of Ipswich ever having a team imo.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Until the Brisbane 2 idea was floated, Id never thought of it, Ipswich and CQ are solid ideas, but probably still a long way off. Although I think having a Bris2 would put Ipswich even further back.

You seriously think Rockhampton is a solid place for an NRL team?

Also we had an Adelaide team over a decade ago and they had more members in their first season than most Sydney clubs do now. Twenty+ years away my arse...

applesauce

Bench
Offering an alternative to the Broncos by duplicating them is not the way to go imo.

You have no idea about the sporting landscape in BNE do you...

This new team is not associated with NEWS LTD/SuperLeague or the fall of the BRL. :roll:

joshreading

Staff member
I do wonder if the Brisbane2 NRL bid would be open to wider involvement and investment. There does seem to be some openness to change (ie. The redcliffe possibilities)

If Easts Tigers and Ipswich Brothers both approached this group with a proposal for equity stakes as community/Rugby League organisations (plowing in their money/community and corporate connections) you could come out with the best of ALL worlds. (it might be as simple as certain community/RL agreements and a board position or two)

Imagine a New SQ Side (redcliffe not actually really being Brisbane) that had the corporate and professional systems links of the present bid with the wider finance/community connections and Rugby League history of Ipswich Brothers/East Tigers AND the Dolphins.

Surely such a team would actually be a challenge to the status of the Broncos as the king RL Club in the world. There is no reason we could not have two Brisbane based clubs with averages over 30 thousand (and possibly significantly higher with increased derbies - Broncos could start to top 40 again)

The challenge would likely also garner strength in membership growth from Broncos fans stepping up to the plate to stake their pride in their team.

sheepbender

Juniors
You seriously think Rockhampton is a solid place for an NRL team?

Also we had an Adelaide team over a decade ago and they had more members in their first season than most Sydney clubs do now. Twenty+ years away my arse...

What I said was its a "solid idea, but probably still a long way off", the claims of 500,000+ population in the area that would support the team, are a bit outlandish, but in time, with more population growth, it would be a solid foundation to work from, and would be a success.

With Adelaide, aside from the collapse of Super League, its demise was due to a lack of support, and poor success on field.. Whilst people are saying Perth has come a long in leaps n bounds since their demise, has Adelaide done the same to warrant a place in the NRL in the next 10 years?

There are 4 spots open in the short term for rugby league.

WA and SA are needed for national coverage, increased sponsorship and new juniors.

Bris2 and Nz2 as these are the next two largest markets that are not over-saturated

Goddo

Bench
I really doubt Adelaide's viability for the NRL for these reasons:

* Its 1m people.
* They are even worse than Victorians when it comes to AFL.
* They have 2 AFL clubs (roughly 600k people per club).
* AFL has all the sponsorship dollars tied up, and one club is still struggling.
* The stadium there is crap.
* There would be little Government or public backing without a large scale commitment from the NRL.

The only benefit of going to Adelaide currently will be because its an OzTam city.

Yes, it is a capital, and yes there is long term prospects there, but it would simply cost too much at this point for it to be viable.

Adelaide is like Melbourne without the large population and sponsorship dollars to justify it. It is at least 20 years away.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
I really doubt Adelaide's viability for the NRL for these reasons:

* Its 1m people.
* They are even worse than Victorians when it comes to AFL.
* They have 2 AFL clubs (roughly 600k people per club).
* AFL has all the sponsorship dollars tied up, and one club is still struggling.
* The stadium there is crap.
* There would be little Government or public backing without a large scale commitment from the NRL.

The only benefit of going to Adelaide currently will be because its an OzTam city.

Yes, it is a capital, and yes there is long term prospects there, but it would simply cost too much at this point for it to be viable.

Adelaide is like Melbourne without the large population and sponsorship dollars to justify it. It is at least 20 years away.

After reading all this, you really shouldn't comment on Adelaide. :lol:

I was in Adelaide recently and was talking to an CEO of a jewelery business that was considering approaching one of the NRL bids to sponsor due the coverage that possible team would get in Eastern Australia.

I was there for two days and got this, imagine how much a person with business and marketing background could get if they set up and approached business in the right way.

Saying we can't sustain a team in an area where AFL has two clubs and even the A-league has a fairly solid team there in Adelaide united is a cop out mostly from people with invested interests.

You can also see they are interested in the game from the 10k fans that showed up in freezing conditions to watch a team that couldn't get points take on a team that missed out on the top 8, and the very successful Bulldogs fans days in the area last year which was so successful that the dogs went back their this year for the one community carnivals.

You then go on to say the Stadium is crap and the government won't support it, i'm interested in knowing how your last meeting with the SA government on this matter went.

Before this you assume that everybody in Adelaide is an AFL fan, thats not true. Is everybody in QLD a Rugby League fan? no.

Assuming both AFL teams have 600k without any research or backing up is wrong.

However, an SA or Adelaide team is 5 years away if done right.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
Obviously. :sarcasm:

I know where you going and to infer that it is the same because Craig Davidson was the head of the Broncos' Thoroughbreds. Linking him strongly with the Broncos and because of the Broncos ties with News etc - therefore it is the same - is stupid.

Goddo

Bench
Just add him to your ignore list applesauce. The forums are much more enjoyable to read that way.

Beowulf

Juniors
There are 4 spots open in the short term for rugby league.

WA and SA are needed for national coverage, increased sponsorship and new juniors.

Bris2 and Nz2 as these are the next two largest markets that are not over-saturated

Have to disagree with the last statement - David Gallop said on Thursday the NRL is not attracted to a Brisbane CBD team due to the oversaturation of the sporting landscape there and the impact such a team would have on the Broncos.

Both Ipswich bids are in there infancy and need a stadium built, as does CQLD, which population wise is probably 15-20 years away from NRL levels. David Gallop was more positive in his comments long term re these locations.

By a process of elimination there are two contenders left for inclusion in 2013 or 2014, the two whom the NRL have been spruiking for 1 year now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm guessing you are referring to me?

The model is not exclusive to regional areas like NQ and Newcastle. I know that Canterbury, Penrith, Parramatta, Melbourne Storm and even the Sydney Swans all do this.

Look at the Melbourne Storm, South Sydney Rabbitohs and what the Newcastle Knights will be by the next few months. These are clubs owned by rich businesses or rich people, the business models of these clubs are solid and results in strong teams (off Field) however both the Melbourne Storm and the South Sydney Rabbitohs are two clubs that are just as active in their communities as the Cowboys are in almost every way, Interest, junior days, fans days etc etc.

The Newcastle Knights run under Tinkler will be like this too, they will continue with their work in their community despite the fact that their financials will be safe.

Whats wrong with having the best of both worlds? In fact the best of both worlds are the way of the future for Rugby League in Australia. Look at the Broncos territory, look at how famous of a club they are, look at how poor their membership numbers are compared to that? why is this? because they aren't active in the slightest in the community.

I see nothing in the Brisbane2 development so far that would suggest they won't do fan engagement. In fact what club doesn;t engage with its fans through a variety of mediums?

I agree that a conglomerate of Brisbane2 plus 2 or 3 Q'land cup teams would be a very powerful proposition. I somehow can;t see it though as the Q'land cup teams would still play second fiddle to the NRL side and there would be constant power struggles. I would have concerns over promotion of a Q'land cup side as you would naturally get many people who wouldn;t support them as they already allign themselves with other existing Q'land cup clubs.

re Adelaide. With a decent strategy and $1mill a year investment spent in SA you could have them ready for the NRL within 5-6 years. Perth has done it over the 7 years with very little ARL money or NRL support. With both of those things Perth would have been ready in under 5 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
2013 CC and WA
2016 Brisbane2 and Southern NZ
2025 Adelaide and PNG
that would be my dream line up for expansion over the next two decades

Latest posts