What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fair enough. I'm not doubting the talent and potential in Perth but just questioning the ability of league to sustain Adelaide as well as Melbourne and, hopefully in 2013, Perth. Perth is an absolute must for expansion if it comes in 2013.

I reckon there is a fair amount of talent that never gets chance to shine in NRL due to limited opportunities. In terms of new frontiers and player development it all comes down to $'s. If the NRL gets $billion deal then it will have more than enough money to really pump cash into expansiona reas to set up jnr programmes. In WA with very meagre resources we have set up a jnr elite academy, a new schools programme and running an SG ball side that has already within one year produced a player that has been signed up by an NRL club. Imagine what we could do with an extra $million a year to spend on jnr development!

BDGS

Bench
.......let's "look at Melbourne". The rugby league gene pool in QLD was raffled off to support the Storm. The storm only exists because of the player resource it gets/got from QLD.

Wrong, Storm exist because of Newslimited.

Storm original players came from Hunter and Adelaide, some from WA after they left.

QLD players have since found an direct route to the NRL through the Melbourne Storm, no body made Cronk, Slater, Johnson or Smith move to Melbourne. Just like no body made Hoffman or King move from NSW to there. Those players moved to get a start in their dream job. Good luck to them, the only reasons why there is a myth that Melbourne only exist because of QLD players is because newslimited (and therefore the Storm) were sh*t at junior development at the start and it has taken 10 years to get it to something that can produce NRL talent and compete with the WARL junior systems AND because QLD have been dominant in Origin over the past 5 years and the club that has been dominant at club level have been the Storm.

If NSW had been dominant, and a lot of Storm NSW players were selected, people would be saying the same thing about substituting "QLD" for "NSW".

The VRL have produced a number of up and comers that will make their debuts in the next 2-3 years in the NRL, They have also produced an SG ball team that made the grand final and finals in the first two years that was was majority made up by Victorians or Victorian developed players.

QLD has proven itself as the premier league state. It's a joke that nearly 70% of the "NRL" is still made up of teams based in NSW. The QLD bids would be based on their merits and would succeed if the NRL supported it with the same fervour as it does in trying to justify the NRL name brand.

Yes, its a joke that NSW club have managed to survive or do you want a 30 team comp just so QLD has the same amount of teams as NSW?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
yeah i read none of that, utter bullsh*t.

But i'll put it in terms that you will understand
yawn-2.jpg
You're a strange illogical child. How did you know it was bullsh*t if you didn't read it numbskull?

Poor old bear - 1000+ posts and still got nothing.

applesauce

Bench
I think this is a very good way of summing it up, now the question is do we want two Brisbane teams like this or do we want a new one to engage the community in all the ways the Broncos don't and more which should (hopefully) kick the Broncos arses into gear?

I think the point about community engagement is irrelevant. It will happen no matter what with the new team (under any business plan).

The bid team (grated approval by the ARLC) will no doubt be out and about spreading the word etc. They will have to to be successful. But it will then force the Broncos to do something more than they are now.

Both teams should feed off each other fighting for fans/memberships. Pumping money into advertising for RL, increasing exposure and waking the sleeping giant, as I think the Broncos & a 2nd BNE team could be bigger than anything we have seen before.

Mr Fourex

Bench
QLD players have since found an direct route to the NRL through the Melbourne Storm, no body made Cronk, Slater, Johnson or Smith move to Melbourne. Just like no body made Hoffman or King move from NSW to there. Those players moved to get a start in their dream job. Good luck to them, the only reasons why there is a myth that Melbourne only exist because of QLD players is because newslimited (and therefore the Storm) were sh*t at junior development at the start and it has taken 10 years to get it to something that can produce NRL talent and compete with the WARL junior systems AND because QLD have been dominant in Origin over the past 5 years and the club that has been dominant at club level have been the Storm.

QLD were sh*t at junior development ?

........get a clue.

The Storm plundered the QRL and found a wealth of player talent.

......btw you failed to mention the most famous (at the moment) of QRL players in Greg Inglis. He was poached by the Storm as well

you might remember.

The reason players like you mentioned ....and the one you didn't, wind up playing for an out of state team was/is because there was/is no room or an alternative in QLD to support them....

You can blame News Limited ......you can blame John Ribot for selling out QLD's gene pool. At the end of the day the NRL backed it to the hilt. If they had shown as much interest then in QLD as they had been in trying to replicate the Storm "vision" in Perth and in Adelaide (both dismal failures and an embarrassment to the game btw) in trying to realise the N-dream, then QLD would have by now at the very least another 2-3 teams.

5-6 QLD teams is a number I could live with and then support expanding the game into non-league states.

14K Victorians turned up to watch their one team as opposed to the 67K Qld'rs who turned to watch their 3 teams in Rd 1 and the Storm are in your words the "dominant" NRL team.

I'd hate to see the crowd numbers if they were sh*t.

Goddo

Bench
It is quite simple. We can improve the on the deficiency of Queensland clubs, and expand into a new market that will work in Perth.

We just have to overlook the short sighted thinking of those supporting the Bears bid. Yes, the Bears plug a hole in the distribution of sides in NSW, but what about the holes in Queensland, or WA? Especially when there are too many sides in other parts of NSW already.

BDGS

Bench
I think the point about community engagement is irrelevant. It will happen no matter what with the new team (under any business plan).

yeah, i don't see it the same way.

The bid team (grated approval by the ARLC) will no doubt be out and about spreading the word etc. They will have to to be successful. But it will then force the Broncos to do something more than they are now.

Both teams should feed off each other fighting for fans/memberships. Pumping money into advertising for RL, increasing exposure and waking the sleeping giant, as I think the Broncos & a 2nd BNE team could be bigger than anything we have seen before.

I think thats a nice dream and something any SEQ bid should aim for, and i would agree that this is the best way to approach it. I just don't see the current Birsbane2 NRL bid as the ones capable of doing that.

That's your opinion, and thats mine. It would be pretty boring if we all thought along the same lines.

BDGS

Bench
QLD were sh*t at junior development ?

........get a clue.

I'm gonna stop you right there because, even though i haven't read the rest, i'm sure you followed this line of thinking for the entire post.

Stop, read it again. I said "newslimited (and therefore the Storm) were sh*t at junior development at the start'

Never once did i say QLD were sh*t at junior development, what do you take me for? an AFL supporter? Jesus man!

BDGS

Bench
It is quite simple. We can improve the on the deficiency of Queensland clubs, and expand into a new market that will work in Perth.

We just have to overlook the short sighted thinking of those supporting the Bears bid. Yes, the Bears plug a hole in the distribution of sides in NSW, but what about the holes in Queensland, or WA? Especially when there are too many sides in other parts of NSW already.

Why do you feel the need to constantly repeat yourself?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You would take any bait wouldn't you! :lol:
What bait dingleberry? You've got nothing lad.

Keep posting drivel son, everyone is in raptures hearing your fairy tales about inside information at the NRL, trips to the Central coast AKA the land of red and black and Adelaide rugby league loving jewellers. Plus the invention of the term fantasy land.:lol:

BDGS

Bench
I didn't say i invented the term, i said its one of my terms for the simpletons out there it means its a term i use regularly.

I just made a point that you don't or haven't used the term until immediately after someone else (in this case, me) has used it.

Get your facts right, also i didn't say there was a Rugby League loving jewellers, what i said was that there was a CEO of a jewelry company that was considering sponsoring an NRL bid. He wanted to do this because his Adelaide based company wants to expand into Eastern Australia.

If you are gonna bring it up with an negative point, at least get it right please!

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

Bench
I'm gonna stop you right there because, even though i haven't read the rest, i'm sure you followed this line of thinking for the entire post.

Not exactly .......go on, read it anyway.
turned.gif

Stop, read it again. I said "newslimited (and therefore the Storm) were sh*t at junior development at the start'

Never once did i say QLD were sh*t at junior development,

Ahemmm.....it appears as though you are right.

Carry on........
blush-1.gif

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I didn't say i invented the term, i said its one of my terms for the simpletons out there it means its a term i use regularly.
I suppose if you're in fantasy land that often you would tend to use it a fair bit.

I just made a point that you don't or haven't used the term until immediately after someone else (in this case, me) has used it.
You're assuming that I actually read your posts with enough interest to copy them. A skim here and there to see if you've come up with anything substantial to offer. Still waiting.
Get your facts right, also i didn't say there was a Rugby League loving jewellers, what i said was that there was a CEO of a jewelry company that was considering sponsoring an NRL bid. He wanted to do this because his Adelaide based company wants to expand into Eastern Australia..
No. You were carrying on about Adelaide joining the competition in 5 years time or some other, dare I say it, FANTASY LAND nonsense.

BDGS

Bench
As directed, i am reading it :)

......btw you failed to mention the most famous (at the moment) of QRL players in Greg Inglis. He was poached by the Storm as well

you might remember.

The reason players like you mentioned ....and the one you didn't, wind up playing for an out of state team was/is because there was/is no room or an alternative in QLD to support them....

You can blame News Limited ......you can blame John Ribot for selling out QLD's gene pool. At the end of the day the NRL backed it to the hilt. If they had shown as much interest then in QLD as they had been in trying to replicate the Storm "vision" in Perth and in Adelaide (both dismal failures and an embarrassment to the game btw) in trying to realise the N-dream, then QLD would have by now at the very least another 2-3 teams.

5-6 QLD teams is a number I could live with and then support expanding the game into non-league states.

14K Victorians turned up to watch their one team as opposed to the 67K Qld'rs who turned to watch their 3 teams in Rd 1 and the Storm are in your words the "dominant" NRL team.

To be fair, Melbourne is AFL heartland territory to compare the crowds is a bit out there.

My only other point on this would be, surely you see the benefit in having an Melbourne team compared to having another QLD team. Melbourne being the seconded biggest sporting market and all. I think having 3-4 crowds in Melbourne above 20k near the end of the year is worth have 3-4 crowds under 10k in Melbourne which happened last year (probably because of the situation more then anything). I think a crowd of 30k is worth more to the NRL then a 45k crowd in Brisbane is.

Latest posts