What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

applesauce

Bench
If they don't choose Davies Park I will not buy a membership if they get in. A Brisbane team based at Redcliffe is not needed.

BDGS

Bench
I thought one of the major attraction to having Brisbane2 is to have a game each week at Suncorp?

What has happened to that?

hellteam

First Grade
I thought one of the major attraction to having Brisbane2 is to have a game each week at Suncorp?

What has happened to that?

They'll still be playing at Suncorp.

Also, don't know how well Davies Park will go down seeing as it was badly flooded a few months ago....

smithie

Juniors
Brisbane's NRL bid team has foot in Maroons' door

QUEENSLAND'S entire State of Origin squad could potentially be wooed by bosses of the new Brisbane NRL bid, who are members of an exclusive club that gives them privileged access to the Maroons camp.

Bid chiefs Bill Rae and Craig Davison pay $20,000 a year to be members of the 1980 Club, an elite group of up to 13 wealthy businessmen who are given unprecedented access to the Maroons dressingroom, private State of Origin functions, the team hotel and can even sit behind the team bench during matches.
The 1980 Club named after the year of the first Origin game has been likened to an Origin version of the Thoroughbreds, the group of businessmen who mentor Brisbane Broncos players.
Other club members include multi-millionaire horse racing identity Laurence Eales, who owns 2009 Melbourne Cup winner Shocking and multiple Group 1 winner Whobegotyou, and leading Queensland businessman Mick Power.

But fears are growing among some NRL clubs that Brisbane bid consortium bosses could use their membership of the club to get an inside running to pursue Origin players for their franchise, which is aiming to win an NRL licence for 2013.
While there are few top-line Queensland Origin players who are off-contract with their NRL clubs, the Maroons camp would be a golden opportunity for the bid members to promote their organisation and foster ties for the future.
A top official at one NRL club told The Courier-Mail yesterday: "We aren't happy these blokes are being allowed into Origin camp. They are clearly going to be wanting to talk turkey to the Origin players."
But North Queensland Cowboys football manager Peter Parr said he had no problem.
"I'd back my relationship with my players any day over someone who sees them for a few days during Origin time," Parr said.
Rae has a close friendship with Maroons coach Mal Meninga the man mooted as a coach of the prospective Brisbane NRL franchise. But Rae insisted the Brisbane bid team were not out to use their Origin camp privileges to recruit players.
"No, not at all, that is total rubbish, we are definitely not in that sort of business," Rae said.
"All we do is respect rugby league."
Multi-millionaire Davison, the former Thoroughbreds chairman, refused to comment but confirmed he had been in the 1980 Club for three years.
Queensland Rugby League managing director Ross Livermore, whose son Nicholas is the third member of the Brisbane bid team, says he has no problem with the Brisbane bid members being involved in the 1980 Club.
"The club only gives them access to Origin players as a group . . . they don't really get the opportunity to sit down and talk privately to players one-on-one," Livermore said.
"If we had any concerns, we wouldn't let those fellows join up.
"The money that we get from the membership of the club provides a lot of benefits to the Queensland team, it is over and above the QRL budget.
"As well, through the 1980 Club, we can provide benefits for grassroots rugby league.
"We are looking at offsetting some of the registration fees for juniors whose families were affected by the recent floods."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-in-maroons-door/story-e6frep5x-1226027004231

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So now that Perth and Brisbane 2 will get gigs, who has plenty of tissues for Central Coast crowd?

Beowulf

Juniors
So now that Perth and Brisbane 2 will get gigs, who has plenty of tissues for Central Coast crowd?

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"...Mark Twain on Mr Angry.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I see you talking and can see your lips moving but all I hear is , wwwaahhhh, wwwwaaahhhhh.

Kleenex loves you.

Beowulf

Juniors
I see you talking and can see your lips moving but all I hear is , wwwaahhhh, wwwwaaahhhhh.

Kleenex loves you.

I note your Sharks logo. Unlike a hate filled whiner like yourself, I don't want to see another side fall over. I hope the Sharks survive so the Bears are the 17th franchise, not the 16th.

Funny you championing Brisbane 2, because the Sharks would need to fold to get a SEQ side up in the next few years (meaning 3 new teams), given Central Coast and Perth are favourites for expansion.

Given your comments re the Bears last night then todays Sharks announcement does make me reach for the Kleenex...crying from laughing!

beave

Coach
Perth is a favourite, but I wouldn't be lumping the CC Bears into the favourite mix though............

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I note your Sharks logo. Unlike a hate filled whiner like yourself, I don't want to see another side fall over. I hope the Sharks survive so the Bears are the 17th franchise, not the 16th.

Funny you championing Brisbane 2, because the Sharks would need to fold to get a SEQ side up in the next few years (meaning 3 new teams), given Central Coast and Perth are favourites for expansion.

Given your comments re the Bears last night then todays Sharks announcement does make me reach for the Kleenex...crying from laughing!

How about some simple facts.

Cronulla 40 odd years in the comp, will play this weekend.

Central Coast never played in comp. Many failed tries. Bears feeder club for Souths.

Back to speculation - you CC types are great at that- perth and brisbane 2 offer the game revenue. CC offer nothing.

Now back to being South reggies and Newcastle nursery. Wherr you belong.

I am not death riding a team - there is no f**king team.

I am off to invest ib kleenex shares - the CC groupies that frequent this place will sooking when thier bids fails yet again.

Anyway I have a team to watch in nrl this weekend.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

How about some simple facts.

Cronulla 40 odd years in the comp, will play this weekend.

Central Coast never played in comp. Many failed tries. Bears feeder club for Souths.

Back to speculation - you CC types are great at that- perth and brisbane 2 offer the game revenue. CC offer nothing.

Now back to being South reggies and Newcastle nursery. Wherr you belong.

I am not death riding a team - there is no f**king team.

I am off to invest ib kleenex shares - the CC groupies that frequent this place will sooking when thier bids fails yet again.

BDGS

Bench
Central Coast never played in comp. Many failed tries.

Please explain, show or inform me about these 'many failed tries' the Central Coast has had, even know you stated that they have "never played in the comp".

I wouldn't be talking so big if my team was in as bad trouble as yours

"Their rejection will almost certainly kill off any interest other clubs may have had in playing the white knight role to Cronulla," the insider said.

"It's very hard to see the Sharks surviving either as a registered club or a football club beyond the next three years with the level of debt they have."
Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...b-was-killed-off/story-e6frf3ou-1226027825971

Your team might be playing this week mate, but will they be in four years time?