What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Beowulf

Juniors
How about some simple facts.

Cronulla 40 odd years in the comp, will play this weekend.

Central Coast never played in comp. Many failed tries. Bears feeder club for Souths.

Back to speculation - you CC types are great at that- perth and brisbane 2 offer the game revenue. CC offer nothing.

Now back to being South reggies and Newcastle nursery. Wherr you belong.

I am not death riding a team - there is no f**king team.

I am off to invest ib kleenex shares - the CC groupies that frequent this place will sooking when thier bids fails yet again.

Anyway I have a team to watch in nrl this weekend.

Couldn't understand the Pidgin English the first time around! Must be a new hobbit dialect.

Beowulf

Juniors
Havent we gone through this already?

There is no market on this, only BS made up by you and your mates..

Wrong again. A market was framed. Just because you choose to dislike what I've posted, doesn't make it BS. It makes it inconvenient for your arguments, that's all. Anyway, enough time wasted on this toxic page!
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-expansion-teams/story-e6frg7t6-1226004683279

"So I phone my good friends at a betting agency and ask them to frame a phantom market on expansion in 2013. No problem they say, that's what we do. Before you know it, they were back to me with the odds.
No surprises with the favourites being Central Coast. The Bears have spent an eternity working on their bid. They're more advanced than anyone else. They've even got a coach in David Fairleigh. But they won't be getting my hard-earned. Can't see the other clubs going for that given Newcastle is only an Andrew Johns punt kick up the highway.
Next up is no expansion at all, which makes more sense. Why expand when the vast majority of your clubs are running at a loss. NRL clubs lose millions every year. Can you imagine their reaction when expansion is brought up. Sure, give the new clubs the money. We don't need it. We love losing money hand over fist.
Of the Queensland sides, the bookies are banking on Brisbane being the chosen one."

BuffaloRules

Coach
Wrong again. A market was framed. Just because you choose to dislike what I've posted, doesn't make it BS. It makes it inconvenient for your arguments, that's all. Anyway, enough time wasted on this toxic page!
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-expansion-teams/story-e6frg7t6-1226004683279

"So I phone my good friends at a betting agency and ask them to frame a phantom market on expansion in 2013. No problem they say, that's what we do. Before you know it, they were back to me with the odds.
No surprises with the favourites being Central Coast. The Bears have spent an eternity working on their bid. They're more advanced than anyone else. They've even got a coach in David Fairleigh. But they won't be getting my hard-earned. Can't see the other clubs going for that given Newcastle is only an Andrew Johns punt kick up the highway.
Next up is no expansion at all, which makes more sense. Why expand when the vast majority of your clubs are running at a loss. NRL clubs lose millions every year. Can you imagine their reaction when expansion is brought up. Sure, give the new clubs the money. We don't need it. We love losing money hand over fist.
Of the Queensland sides, the bookies are banking on Brisbane being the chosen one."

So anonymous betting agency frames " a phantom market"

And this is your evidence of the Bears being the "bookies favourites"...

I'll take as much money as I can with you on Perth if they are on the third line of betting...

Beowulf

Juniors
So anonymous betting agency frames " a phantom market"

And this is your evidence of the Bears being the "bookies favourites"...

I'll take as much money as I can with you on Perth if they are on the third line of betting...

So the journo made it all up. I've heard of people being in denial, but....! :roll:

BuffaloRules

Coach
So the journo made it all up. I've heard of people being in denial, but....! :roll:

Yes, a Journo has never made up a story before have they? :?

Normally the Betting Agency attaches their name to these phantom markets for some free publicity...

Why not this time I wonder?

OMG, is this the evidence that the Bears are "favourites"?
Some nuffy asking some other nuffy to make up some odds?
And look at the facts he's based these odds on - the same deluded nonsense Bears fans try to use to argue they are worthy of being favourites - "we've been working for longer", except he has thrown in the fact they already have a coach! As if that's a big deal.
And if this betting line is like all others surely the punters will have as much say as the bookies in who is favourite and who is not. So where can I see the betting on this issue via a major betting agency? What odds can I get on Perth? This article seems to have failed to let us know the actual numbers. But no dount they have changed since these odds were opened up for punters to gamble on.....

Beowulf

Juniors
OMG, is this the evidence that the Bears are "favourites"?

No, the odds are a reflection on what David Gallop, John Brady & Graham Annesley have said re expansion over the past 14 months. Bookmakers livelihoods depend on getting the best intel available, so they would know a lot more than what's been said publicly.

I have no doubt the odds (whatever they were) have changed since this was put out. I'd guess CC and Perth have firmed further, but thats only my opinion of course! :D

Brutus

Referee
I wonder if a year of poor Titans crowds will have an effect on a 2nd Brisbane team.

You'd have to think so.

I'm still all for a 2nd Bris team tho.

No, the odds are a reflection on what David Gallop, John Brady & Graham Annesley have said re expansion over the past 14 months. Bookmakers livelihoods depend on getting the best intel available, so they would know a lot more than what's been said publicly.

I have no doubt the odds (whatever they were) have changed since this was put out. I'd guess CC and Perth have firmed further, but thats only my opinion of course! :D

What bookmakers? There is no betting on this matter available. And the only bookie quoted has not been named and seems to have just made up a hypothetical answer to a journalist's question and had it reported. If there is betting on this issue, where can bets be taken?

adamkungl

Immortal
I wonder if a year of poor Titans crowds will have an effect on a 2nd Brisbane team.

You'd have to think so.

One of the reasons I believe CC should come first is to give the Titans more time to build and sustain their fanbase. Continually dropping crowds aren't encouraging.

Goddo

Bench
^ Gold Coast crowds aren't really dropping, they are plateuing. The crowd they have had for St George is almost the same as it was last year. The Broncos crowd was down by 5k, but with the way the Titans are playing, who can blame them?

The biggest cause of this would be the cost associated with Skilled Park. Fix this, crowds will go back up. It isn't a reason to deny a team in Ipswich or Brisbane.

The only area where there would be overlap in territory for fans would be around Logan and Redlands. This again isn't a big deal, as each side will have a seperate large population area. Its around the fringes that there will be competition for support.

It would be nice for the Titans to get a premiership before 2013 though.

The argument against another SE Qld side because its 2.5m people and it might hurt the Broncos or Titans is rediculous when compared to the Sydney metro situation. 9 teams fighting for 2-3 Free to air TV spots each week splitting 5m people 9 ways. Add another one, great idea.:roll:

Last edited:
WTF has Gold Coast crowds got to do with a second Brisbane team?

That's like saying the CC shouldn't get a team if Sydney crowds are crap.

I don't where some people get their logic from but I think it's dodgy Chinese pirated counterfeit logic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can someone find the odds on Perth? If they are only third favourite in the bookies eyes I wouldn't mind putting a few hundred on them!

BDGS

Bench

You'd have to think so.

Exactly what i was thinking during last nights game. Not good at all, the crowds on the GC that is.

BDGS

Bench
^ Gold Coast crowds aren't really dropping, they are plateuing. The crowd they have had for St George is almost the same as it was last year. The Broncos crowd was down by 5k, but with the way the Titans are playing, who can blame them?

It was a local derby, unless it was played in a swamp it should sell out no matter what imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
why would a GC crowd effect a Brisbane bid anymore than poor crowds at Manly or Cronulla would effect a CC bid?

adamkungl

Immortal
why would a GC crowd effect a Brisbane bid anymore than poor crowds at Manly or Cronulla would effect a CC bid?

Well people seem happy to include the CC as part of some mythical "Sydney region"

Why would 9 teams in Sydney effect a CC bid any more than a 5 year old team in the Brisbane Region would effect a Brisbane bid?

Because unlike the CCBears bid, the Brisbane 2 bid has been using crowds as a measurement for inclusion. So the fact that their drawcard point is currently underwhelming would provide slight cause for concern. Not much but a little regardless. It's critically important that these bid teams from all the bids make sure that their drawcard points for nrl entry aren't conflicted by existing problems. That said I wouldn't be too concern at the titans crowd last night because when have bronco fans ever travelled in large sums?

BDGS

Bench
Because unlike the CCBears bid, the Brisbane 2 bid has been using crowds as a measurement for inclusion. So the fact that their drawcard point is currently underwhelming would provide slight cause for concern. Not much but a little regardless. It's critically important that these bid teams from all the bids make sure that their drawcard points for nrl entry aren't conflicted by existing problems. That said I wouldn't be too concern at the titans crowd last night because when have bronco fans ever travelled in large sums?

I'm more worried about less and less Gold Coast residents are turning out to see their own team. It's either that or every year before this year, lots of away supporters travelled to the GC.

Either way, lower the prices.

Latest posts