What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

jim_57

Staff member
These blokes are playing in the 2nd best competition for a reason, they're 2nd best.
Motu Tony
Patrick Ah Van
Marc Herbert

Brett Kearney
Heath L’Estrange
Nick Youngquest
Rangi Chase
Daryl Millard
Ben Farrar
Lopini Paea
David Howell
Chad Randall
Karl Temata
Nick Kouparitsas
Chris Bailey
Vince Mellars
Michael Witt
Ryan O’Hara
David Fa’alogo
David Faiumu
Willie Manu
Cameron Phelps
Blake Green
Ben Galea
Michael Dobson
Brett Delaney
Kylie Leuluai
Weller Hauraki
Mark Henry
Daniel Holdsworth
Ray Cashmere
Vinnie Anderson
Sia Soliola
Chris Flannery
Ben Jeffries
Louis Anderson
George Carmont
Thomas Leuluai
Amos Roberts

Definatley don't agree with some of those mate, there is some trash running around in the NRL aswell.

beave

Coach
From what i heard, Mackay Rugby League are sick and tired of the poor treatment that the North Queensland Cowboys give them and joined with the CQ bid. Mackay have claimed that North Queensland only worry about playing games in Townsville and trials in Northern Territory.

Absolute horseshiite.

The cowboys have taken trials to Mackay every year for the last 6-8 years.

The last 4 or so years have been cancelled due to either the weather being that wet the game could not be played or the fact the 'stadium' (and I use that term very loosely) has been under construction and there's no other suitable venue in Mackay so this years game had to be brought to Tvl at the brothers ground next door to DFS. That is not the cowboys fault.

They also travel there quite regularly for school visits and so forth, oh and then there's this little chestnut, you do realise that the Mackay Cutters are one of our feeder teams where we send our fringe first graders?????

I think you are taking out of your a55.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good list mate. I've colour coded them based on how I rank them. There would be enough to fill one team I admit, but - you can only bring them back once - by many people's reckoning extra teams in the NRL will mean a halt to the ESL exodus. If we went to Perth and Adelaide we would still be wating a long time for them to be self sufficient.

you could go through every current NRL squad and come with similar % of players, the good ones, the ok ones, the stocking fillers.

Also how many current teams are "self sufficient"? Reality is all teams draw players from other areas. As long as jnr numbers in NSW, Q'land and NZ are going up then add in serious development in WA and Vic plus the higher salary cap reducing the European exodus and new opportunities from RU and English Sl due to a much higher salary scale and player dilution is not going to be an issue even a medium (5year) term.

How many Toyota cup players get NRl contracts each year? I reckon there is a fair bit of slower developed talent that we lose just from the Toyota cup pool.

Its why getting the $billion or close to is so important. With a grant and salary cap of $6mill a club our player pool suddenly becomes so much bigger. Chuck in double the funding to the ARL (equivalent) for jnr funding and expansion state development and the worlds our oyster!

joshreading

Staff member
I think that you stipulate to the new NRL Clubs half your 25 must be signed from outside present NRL squads. THEN... tell them that any player they sign from Super League or Union can be signed for the first 3 years at 75 percent of their value in the salary cap.

It would encourage them to sign some good players rather than just average ones from Super League and also go after union players (esp ex RL players)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
you could go through every current NRL squad and come with similar % of players, the good ones, the ok ones, the stocking fillers.

Also how many current teams are "self sufficient"? Reality is all teams draw players from other areas. As long as jnr numbers in NSW, Q'land and NZ are going up then add in serious development in WA and Vic plus the higher salary cap reducing the European exodus and new opportunities from RU and English Sl due to a much higher salary scale and player dilution is not going to be an issue even a medium (5year) term.

How many Toyota cup players get NRl contracts each year? I reckon there is a fair bit of slower developed talent that we lose just from the Toyota cup pool.

Its why getting the $billion or close to is so important. With a grant and salary cap of $6mill a club our player pool suddenly becomes so much bigger. Chuck in double the funding to the ARL (equivalent) for jnr funding and expansion state development and the worlds our oyster!
I think you'll find its not as simple as you make out but I'll leave it at that. As I've said before it would be a major stretch on talent to support Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide. To do so you would not be able to include a Brisbane 2 side which is a must.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doubt many would suggest bringing Perth and Adelaide in at the same time, or allowing Melbourne the same poor development model they had.

What most logical people are saying is that if you invest $'s, have good models and and an NRL team to raise profile and give kids something to aim for then any area can and will develop players given time.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
What most logical people are saying is that if you invest $'s, have good models and and an NRL team to raise profile and give kids something to aim for then any area can and will develop players given time.
Count me in as one of the logical ones. The key word is time.

BDGS

Bench
Absolute horseshiite.

The cowboys have taken trials to Mackay every year for the last 6-8 years.

The last 4 or so years have been cancelled due to either the weather being that wet the game could not be played or the fact the 'stadium' (and I use that term very loosely) has been under construction and there's no other suitable venue in Mackay so this years game had to be brought to Tvl at the brothers ground next door to DFS. That is not the cowboys fault.

They also travel there quite regularly for school visits and so forth, oh and then there's this little chestnut, you do realise that the Mackay Cutters are one of our feeder teams where we send our fringe first graders?????

I think you are taking out of your a55.

Just saying what i heard from Joel. No need to pull out the weapons of mass destruction buddy.

BDGS

Bench

Absolutely correct.

beave

Coach
Just saying what i heard from Joel. No need to pull out the weapons of mass destruction buddy.

Every time I post a re-buttal on one of your typical bullsh!t posts, your immediate reaction is 'don't take everything so serious'..................... well my reply to you is 'stop talking utter sh*t on here'. I don't take sh*t too serious, but if I read utter crap on here regarding my team, be f**ked if I won't be setting the record straight.

BDGS

Bench
Every time I post a re-buttal on one of your typical bullsh!t posts, your immediate reaction is 'don't take everything so serious'..................... well my reply to you is 'stop talking utter sh*t on here'. I don't take sh*t too serious, but if I read utter crap on here regarding my team, be f**ked if I won't be setting the record straight.

1. I don't remember quoting you more then about 3 times, so quit crying.
2. This is a forum site, not the NRL board meeting discussing serious issues.
3. No body said you couldn't set the record straight for your team, i expect anybody to do that for their team.
4. The "don't take things so seriously' comment usually refers to how quickly you get build up to rage point and start swearing or being abusive which takes away from your argument (aka the bolded words).
5. Like i said, this is not what i believe. Just something i was told, so i really don't care if it is right or wrong.
6. It's "rebuttal" not "re-buttal".

beave

Coach
oh and if we wanna start using grammatical and spelling errors as a basis of an argument, it's 'nobody' not 'no body' you petulant child.

adamkungl

Immortal

These blokes are playing in the 2nd best competition for a reason, they're 2nd best.
Motu Tony
Patrick Ah Van
Marc Herbert

Brett Kearney
Heath L’Estrange
Nick Youngquest
Rangi Chase
Daryl Millard
Ben Farrar
Lopini Paea
David Howell
Chad Randall
Karl Temata
Nick Kouparitsas
Chris Bailey
Vince Mellars
Michael Witt
Ryan O’Hara
David Fa’alogo
David Faiumu
Willie Manu
Cameron Phelps
Blake Green
Ben Galea
Michael Dobson
Brett Delaney
Kylie Leuluai
Weller Hauraki
Mark Henry
Daniel Holdsworth
Ray Cashmere
Vinnie Anderson
Sia Soliola
Chris Flannery
Ben Jeffries
Louis Anderson
George Carmont
Thomas Leuluai
Amos Roberts

Most of those players would make the top 17 in some NRL sides. There are a lot of mediocre players on NRL benches. I reckon you could make a non-wooden spoon quality side out of that list...

Goddo

Bench
Nah, every NRL team has a few blokes lucky to have a contract. You could use probably 5 or so of those blokes in each new side assuming the NRL brings in 2.

Then 10 or so from that list would pick up a contract at a current NRL club.

Asside, Creigh Bellamy mentioned in the Australian he is keen for Brisbane and Perth in expansion.

EDIT:

I was just thinking, who would be the biggest loser crowd-wise if this bid gets up?

It definately wouldn't be the Broncos, who I think would actually benefit from a bit of competition and rivalry.

I think the Queensland Reds who draw around 24-26k average each year will be hurting if there are 2 NRL teams to draw a schedule around.

Same goes for AFL - harder for them to get all the attention of a weekend to themselves. If that is the case as I suspect, it would only be good for our game. Bad for AFL and Super Doopa though.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
That extra Brisbane team for all forms of media to talk about up there would be priceless for our game. Broncos' crowds wouldn't drop one iota.

Goddo

Bench
Home Ground, Sponsors and Your Team

The Brisbane NRL Expansion Bid launched the Battle for Brisbane on February 21 at Suncorp Stadium in the hope of securing a licence in the NRL in 2013. The Consortium of Craig Davison, Bill Rae and Nicholas Livermore have been working tirelessly since the announcement to ensure the Bid is the strongest possible should the incoming Independent Commission call for tenders for expansion of the competition.
In a development for the bid, the Consortium has been reviewing the possible locations for a ‘home ground’ which would incorporate a Leagues club, facilities for the players to train at including multiple football fields, gymnasium, pool and facilities to support administrative staff. The Consortium is pleased to announce the following areas are being considered as part of the expansion bid team’s due diligence process:

• Davis Park (South Brisbane)
  • Dolphin Oval (Redcliffe)
  • 2x Locations within the Redland Shire Council
The Bid Expansion Team has met with a number of representatives from Council and will ensure any area viewed as a home training ground maximises the opportunity for supporters to be interactive with the team as a continued community orientation from the bid.
As part of this focus, the Bid website www.BattleForBrisbane.com.au has an opportunity for fans to design the jersey, pick the colours and give the prospective team a name. This will be shortlisted in April with a final five names and colours announced later that month. An official logo, name and colour scheme will then be revealed in May ahead of a proposed call for tenders from the Independent Commission. Bid Director Bill Rae stated “the response to the website has been overwhelming to say the least. We’ve had entries from across the co untry and some of the names put forward for the team have been very creative – we will definitely have an interesting short list to pick from.”
To further enhance the bid, the Expansion Team has met with a number of insurance agencies vying to tackle the lucrative position of Naming Rights to the team in 2013 and will announce an official Partner as part of the lead-up to Tenders in mid-2011. In another show of corporate strength, two major brewing companies have met with Nicholas Livermore who hopes to be in a position to reveal more about the exciting opportunities in coming months. “We want to ensure that the parties we sign up as Bid Supporters are with us in 2013 when we anticipate we’ll take the field at Suncorp Stadium,” Livermore said. This is a process we are taking slowly and ensuring that we maximise our return at this early stage while guaranteeing our partners the first and last rights of exclusivity for what will be a very unique experience at a club level. Some of the opportunities we have shown the potential partners have caught their attention and we believe we’ll raise the bar across the NRL in what we have in the pipeline for sponsorship.”
The Bid Team is committed to supporting grass-roots Rugby League and is delighted to announce that the first of the 100,000 free pies which could generate up to $250,000 to the clubs affected by the devastating Queensland floods have been delivered to Queensland Clubs. The Emerald Tigers and Brothers St Brendans (Rocklea) have received the first batch of pies and plenty more will be delivered to clubs who have requested them.
Any clubs wishing to benefit from the Brisbane Expansion Bid’s partnership with the QRL/NRL One Community program can contact Bill Rae at bill.rae@bnenrlbid.com.au This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or office 07 3899 8922.

http://www.battleforbrisbane.com.au...ent&view=category&layout=blog&id=38&Itemid=54