What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane3 - What is needed to make it a successful bid?

The Daddy3

Juniors
It's becoming clear that a 3rd Brisbane team is unlikely to be considered as the 18th club, I would also say that it's unlikely to also be the 19th club unless prospective bids drop out or the PNG bid falls through, which is a possibility.

There are many permutations that can be adopted for anyone of the Brisbane bids, Easts Tigers go it alone, Ipswich Jets go it alone perhaps?

Firstly, I don't see a 3rd Brisbane club joining the NRL for a while. It seems as though the consensus is to give both the Gold Coast Titans and the Dolphins time to grow as organisations. It doesn't make sense at this point to bring in a 3rd Brisbane club until Gold Coast especially has created some sort of legacy or positive tangible impact locally and on the competition.

This is not to say that there shouldn't be a 3rd Brisbane club at all, but the appointment of a 20th NRL club should be delayed to give Brisbane3 the best possible chance of being successful. This is because a 3rd Brisbane club would potentially bring so much value to comp. Why is there a rush to bring in a 20th club, there's no need to rush. Let's give the Titans, Dolphins, Club 18 and 19 time to bed in.
If the NRL rushes to appoint a 20th club it will likely not be Brisbane3.

Now if a 3rd Brisbane club is to enter the comp, what form would it take that would make it successful and bring value without cannibalising the Brisbane market?

It's been suggested on here before so I'm not going to take credit for it. But the best Brisbane3 bid would be one led by Easts Tigers that involves a merger or involvement with Ipswich Jets. That way you get a cashed up Easts club and the branding and location of the Ipswich Jets (that means the western corridor would be a key target area of the club). This is the only way a Brisbane3 club would be of benefit to the competition and RL in Queensland.

How does Brisbane Jets sound?