What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane3 - What is needed to make it a successful bid?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Back to the original point, I think PNG or NZ2 not getting over the line is probably Brisbane3's best, and maybe only, hope of getting in the NRL within the next 20 years.

I find it hard to imagine that NZ2 could be announced and then not get across the line ….

PNG … there is always a chance I suppose …. although I think if they go through the song and dance of announcing the PNG team ..I think they at least get to the starting line… after that … who knows …

flippikat

Bench
I find it hard to imagine that NZ2 could be announced and then not get across the line ….

PNG … there is always a chance I suppose …. although I think if they go through the song and dance of announcing the PNG team ..I think they at least get to the starting line… after that … who knows …
If the Government funding is pulled or even scaled back, the PNG NRL team may be closed.

A way to soften the blow might be to add a 2nd PNG team into Queensland Cup ?

BuffaloRules

Coach

If the Government funding is pulled or even scaled back, the PNG NRL team may be closed.

A way to soften the blow might be to add a 2nd PNG team into Queensland Cup ?
i cant see the Govt funding …if approved in the first place .. then being pulled prior to 2028….

just my prediction…

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Happy to be called out for my Brisbane ignorance here, but it's fun to discuss..

Would Brisbane 3 be a merger of the Easts Tigers & Ipswich Jets and cater to the west, or am I wrongly merging two massively different bids?

Is there a name that represents West Brisbane in a similar way Macarthur FC encapsulates the area in Sydney's South West? Tigers as a mascot is taken, so I would assume Jets would be the go-to here.

Colours could be an emerald green (Ipswich) and black, with some orange highlights (Tigers)?

I have almost zero Brisbane/SEQ knowledge, so just curious to see if there are options in an attempt at avoiding another "The" or third "West" name in the NRL.

- Sunshine State Jets?
- Meeanjin Jets (Turrbal name for Brisbane)?
- South Queensland Jets (might be too reminiscent of the Crushers..)?

or if it's unavoidable, "West Brisbane Jets"?
There were two bids that went up against the Dolphins a few years back.

Brisbane Jets which was a joint venture between the Brisbane Bombers and Ipswich Jets (corporate money meeting an established RL club with pathways)

And the Brisbane Tigers branded as the Brisbane Firehawks due to the Tiger brand already existing in the NRL.

These two bids attempted a last minute merger to defeat the stronger Dolphins bid but they couldn't agree to terms (probably a bit rushed for such negotiations to be successful).

The NRL have been clear that they don't want to have teams overlapping fan bases too much in SEQ (not repeating what the game has in Sydney) hence Dolphins North, Broncos Central, Titans South. The NRL have also indicated for more that a decade now that they'd like a team in the west which, now that we have the Dolphins would complete the puzzle in SEQ.

Ipswich are the local team and brand that resonate out that way, they have an established QRL team with a decent pathway system in place (strong RL area). They just don't have the sort of money to bid for an NRL licence. Leagues club is a tiny old pub in Ipswich.

Tigers are the third wealthiest RL club in Brisbane behind the Broncos and Dolphins and certainly do have the money to make a successful NRL bid, however, they are an inner city club (overlapping the Broncos) and their Tiger brand can't be used (Firehawks was a dog shit brand that was super unpopular).

If these two can successfully work out a marriage, they would instantly tick all the NRL's boxes. Ipswich council had even approved a 20k stadium if the Jets won the bid and were in the process of seeking additional funding for it from the State and Federal Governments.

For what it's worth, I don't think we should be looking at this option until 2032 at the earliest though. Give the market and Dolphins a chance to adjust.

flippikat

Bench
20 teams won’t be where the nrl finishes at

24 is where I think it ends up

so 3 Brisbane and 3 nz
If that's what happens, then..

18 Perth
19 PNG
20 NZ 2 - likely Christchurch

21, 22, 23 - Brisbane 3, NZ 3, Adelaide (whichever order)

24 - Well.. we have a huge bidding round there!

This is assuming PNG sticks. Otherwise we could either get away with 22 teams or with 24 have two spots wide open.

Pippen94

First Grade
There were two bids that went up against the Dolphins a few years back.

Brisbane Jets which was a joint venture between the Brisbane Bombers and Ipswich Jets (corporate money meeting an established RL club with pathways)

And the Brisbane Tigers branded as the Brisbane Firehawks due to the Tiger brand already existing in the NRL.

These two bids attempted a last minute merger to defeat the stronger Dolphins bid but they couldn't agree to terms (probably a bit rushed for such negotiations to be successful).

The NRL have been clear that they don't want to have teams overlapping fan bases too much in SEQ (not repeating what the game has in Sydney) hence Dolphins North, Broncos Central, Titans South. The NRL have also indicated for more that a decade now that they'd like a team in the west which, now that we have the Dolphins would complete the puzzle in SEQ.

Ipswich are the local team and brand that resonate out that way, they have an established QRL team with a decent pathway system in place (strong RL area). They just don't have the sort of money to bid for an NRL licence. Leagues club is a tiny old pub in Ipswich.

Tigers are the third wealthiest RL club in Brisbane behind the Broncos and Dolphins and certainly do have the money to make a successful NRL bid, however, they are an inner city club (overlapping the Broncos) and their Tiger brand can't be used (Firehawks was a dog shit brand that was super unpopular).

If these two can successfully work out a marriage, they would instantly tick all the NRL's boxes. Ipswich council had even approved a 20k stadium if the Jets won the bid and were in the process of seeking additional funding for it from the State and Federal Governments.

For what it's worth, I don't think we should be looking at this option until 2032 at the earliest though. Give the market and Dolphins a chance to adjust.

Well said. I don't think dolphins and jets will be competing for the same group of fans though.

Pippen94

First Grade

18 Perth
19 PNG

This is assuming PNG sticks. Otherwise we could either get away with 22 teams or with 24 have two spots wide open.

PNG hunters are still going strong after all these years. Outlasted western reds, Adelaide rams etc. People running down PNG club before it's even entered NRL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

18 Perth
19 PNG

I'd love...

18 Western Red Bears 2027
19 South Island Kea 2028
20 The Jets 🥴 2032
21 Adelaide Ram Trucks 2037
22. Wellington Orcas 2038
23. PNG Hunters 2042
24. Fiji Silktails 2042

And somewhere in there, a Sydney club doing a slow relocation building up to a Central Coast (8 games) / Sydney (4 games) split.

Perth Red

Post Whore
vlandys will be gone once this expansion is locked away. Any further expansion will very much depend on who’s on the commission next.

Latest posts