What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane3 - What is needed to make it a successful bid?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Jets' NRL bid team have secured $40 million in funding and are hopeful of entering an expanded NRL competition by 2028, with Wayne Bennett as head coach if he is still keen to continue his stellar career.

The partnership between the former Brisbane Jets' NRL bid and foundation premiership club Newtown Jets would be based west of Brisbane in Ipswich, if given a licence by the ARL Commission.

The NRL is on track to include two new teams by 2028, with the Perth Bears favourites. The Jets are of the view that they, and not Papua New Guinea, should be the other expansion side.

The Jets have received a $40 million commitment by three levels of government to upgrade North Ipswich Reserve and establish a centre of excellence.

The bid has an in-principle deal with Lang Park to initially play all home games at the venue, where they would wear the green and white strip of Ipswich.

The new team would wear the green and white of the Ipswich Jets. (Supplied)

For away games in Sydney they would don the Newtown traditional strip and have their captain's run at Henson Park.

AAP has been told the Newtown Jets would be co-owners of the club.

The bid has multiple millionaire benefactors, including businessman and Newtown life member John Singleton, with funding not an issue as it was with the Brisbane Jets.

The Brisbane Jets missed out to the Dolphins on becoming the league's 17th team.

Jets NRL bid chairman Steve Johnson, also the Ipswich Jets boss, has signed a non-disclosure agreement with the NRL. Johnson is chairman of Ipswich Group Ltd, which has put in the bid, and cannot make public comment.

Scott Sattler, who won the 2003 premiership with Penrith, was on the Brisbane Jets committee and is at liberty to speak on the Jets' bid.

"In Ipswich, leading up to Toowoomba, the Scenic Rim and Darling Downs you have got a rusted-on population that are begging to support their own NRL team, much like when the Cowboys got their own team," Sattler said

"Newtown Jets bring a famous name, a nostalgic angle and a ready-made fan base that you would be silly not to reinvolve in the NRL.

"Yes, we have got to look into the future, but we can't forget the past, and that is why Western Australia have linked with the Bears and why we have linked with the Newtown Jets.

"The Jets would bring new subscriptions to (broadcasters) Kayo and Fox, which is a primary focus.

"You also have to consider the threat of the AFL, which is very important to the NRL as well. Internally at the NRL they agree that the western corridor (of Brisbane), with the AFL training facility at Springfield, has really eaten into that rugby league heartland, which we don't want to become an NRL wasteland."

Dolphins coach Bennett has a farm in the western corridor catchment area, grew up there and played there. By the end of 2027 he would have finished his three-year stint at South Sydney.

Seven-time premiership winner Bennett has a "never say never" philosophy about coaching. He would have coached the Brisbane Jets had they won the 17th NRL licence in 2022.

"Wayne is never going to lose his passion for the game and he is physically and emotionally fit," Sattler said.

"With Wayne the discussion would be, 'do you see yourself still coaching?' Wayne might be 78 in age by 2028, but the principles and the standards he sets and his ability to communicate one-on-one and with the masses are second to none."

MugaB

Coach
I’m becoming convinced instead of nz2

cmon arlc bring them all in
After reading that, I'm convinced that the arlc with their non disclosures being breached are probably going to want Christchurch, not another seq team, I liked the idea a few weeks ago, but now with the firehawks tactics of scare mongering the AFL taking over tactic once again, that and the major already in co hoots with them.... f**k em, besides Wayne already said he is starting the PNG franchise, even asking the arlc to base it in Port Moresby instead of Cairns.. so Jets aren't going to be getting Wayne, maybe they'll get kevvie.. he might need a job soon, in reserve grade

I like the idea but not sure how the logistics would work or if the ARLC are even interested.

The only part I was bemused at was;

The Jets would bring new subscriptions to (broadcasters) Kayo and Fox, which is a primary focus.

At a guess I would imagine majority of the target audience in that region already have one or the other.

Lastly, these ABC journos really need to do their research better. It’s Western Bears not Perth Bears. Aim is for 2027, not 2028. It isn’t hard to do a quick google search especially when the information is available on official press release statements. Oh well, that’s what happens when you hire interns and cadets to do a senior role due to lack of funding I guess.

After reading that, I'm convinced that the arlc with their non disclosures being breached are probably going to want Christchurch, not another seq team, I liked the idea a few weeks ago, but now with the firehawks tactics of scare mongering the AFL taking over tactic once again, that and the major already in co hoots with them.... f**k em, besides Wayne already said he is starting the PNG franchise, even asking the arlc to base it in Port Moresby instead of Cairns.. so Jets aren't going to be getting Wayne, maybe they'll get kevvie.. he might need a job soon, in reserve grade
Firehawks is such a ‘tard name. Should have just been Hawks. Logo posted on one of the Bears groups. East Tigers colours in a Hawk brand. Could work.

IMG_4569.jpeg

Last edited:

Vlad59

Bench
Any bid that uses the afl takeover excuse should be banned forever. Expansion is about growing not defending. Perth is about growing the game (regardless of the parasite attaching itself to it).

Any bid that uses the afl takeover excuse should be banned forever. Expansion is about growing not defending. Perth is about growing the game (regardless of the parasite attaching itself to it).
Really is that why Dolphins came in? To grow the game in the middle of rugby league heartland?

Expansion is more than just growing, it’s also a mix of consolidation and fortification. Whether that’s actual participation of the game, or commercially driven. Dolphins was a commercial decision. Perth with Bears is a mix of both.

PNG is a commercial decision. NZ2 would be predominately driven by growing the game at a grassroots and participation level.

Every expansion bidder is different and the strengths of their individual bids are different.

Vlad59

Bench
Wayne Bennett as coach of the new proposed expansion team has become the second biggest expansion cliché after “threat of the AFL”…
Exactly. It’s become a joke. Let’s hope the ARLC is more interested in genuine growth rather than consolidation of existing markets. The fumblers will want us to look inward at Brisbane and not outward to new markets. Perth should have been a genuine WA bid without the parasite attached to it. A second club in a big market like NZ is very worthy as is a government sponsored PNG bid (despite its faults). The four current teams in QLD are enough for now. We will see.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Really is that why Dolphins came in? To grow the game in the middle of rugby league heartland?

Expansion is more than just growing, it’s also a mix of consolidation and fortification. Whether that’s actual participation of the game, or commercially driven. Dolphins was a commercial decision. Perth with Bears is a mix of both.

PNG is a commercial decision. NZ2 would be predominately driven by growing the game at a grassroots and participation level.

Every expansion bidder is different and the strengths of their individual bids are different.
It should have been but the nrl bottled it and chose a team in far outer northern suburbia instead of a S/SW corridor bid. What the Broncos want the Broncos get. Reason why I cant see Jets having a chance.

It should have been but the nrl bottled it and chose a team in far outer northern suburbia instead of a S/SW corridor bid. What the Broncos want the Broncos get. Reason why I cant see Jets having a chance.

They didn’t bottle it. Northlakes and surrounding areas have had a massive population growth. Dolphins have the cash. It’s a commercial decision.

flippikat

Bench
That's NZ 2's big hope - that the Broncos (and to a certain degree Dolphins & Titans too) kick up such a hissy-fuss that the prospect of another SE-Queensland NRL club is put on the shelf this time around.

Wb1234

Immortal
No firehaks here

northern and southern jets

Wb1234

Immortal
Yep the dolphins have been a disaster

Vlad59

Bench
That's NZ 2's big hope - that the Broncos (and to a certain degree Dolphins & Titans too) kick up such a hissy-fuss that the prospect of another SE-Queensland NRL club is put on the shelf this time around.
As a longer term strategy for the growth of the game NZ2 has to come well before any new Brisbane team.