What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broderick Gone

Stagger eel

Staff member
hmmmm...I find this somewhat surprising but like some of you wonder if this was why he was dropped or this happend because of the dropping. However I suppose it frees up some more cash to splurge out for next season on a marquee player.

Perhaps Stagger could shed some light onto this news?

Brod is on the bare minnumum..it doesn;t free too much up

cgee221

Juniors
Brod is on the bare minnumum..it doesn;t free too much up

If his $50,000 odd, along with some of the other deadwood is the difference between getting a marquee player and not getting one then while sad to say goodbye to a good prospect, I am happy we are taking steps in the right direction to securing top line players (if infact this is what we are doing). Like someone else stated, I sense that we are getting serious about approaching some players with some deals.

Delboy

First Grade
Cordoba, Lowrie, Tautai,Mannah, K Keating and a few lesser lights are all off contract this year. I heard K Keating was close to a deal, also DA was keen to offlaod a few more "senior" players to free up cash, going to be a very interesting off season and possibly end of this season.

Brod Wright may well find it not as easy when he does leave, Zap and Joe Grima at Sharks appears to be similar when Crusher and D Penna went to Beagles, and the loss of fringe first graders we lost then

Redback71

First Grade
why are we letting props leave when its props that we need? How many have we let go over the last 2 or 3 years? and how many have we signed? Big fat ZERO!!!

Redback71

First Grade
Its OK to get rid of 2 or 3 players to sign a marquee player, but what if that marquee player gets injured? Then we have no depth or descent players to replace him with.
Not that we do now.

caylo

Bench
Cordoba, Lowrie, Tautai,Mannah, K Keating and a few lesser lights are all off contract this year. I heard K Keating was close to a deal, also DA was keen to offlaod a few more "senior" players to free up cash, going to be a very interesting off season and possibly end of this season.

Brod Wright may well find it not as easy when he does leave, Zap and Joe Grima at Sharks appears to be similar when Crusher and D Penna went to Beagles, and the loss of fringe first graders we lost then

Cordoba, Lowrie and Tautai would actually free up around 450K if im not mistakes. Sign someone like Bailey or Poore plus to lesser signing and you realise how bad our managment of players have been. None of those 3 players deserve over 100K but yet they all are played more than that.

caylo

Bench
oh yes and imagine

8 Cayless
9 Keating
10 Bailey/Poore
11 Hindmarsh
12 Fuifui
13 Mateo

15 Paulo
16 Mannah
17 (a backower)

Gould taked about getting fuifui to run at smaller men, he is fast and could probably give us just as many meters in the backrow, running at halves. Imagine Fui running at lockyer, Thurston or Prince... he would more likley break the line and tire them out.

yy_cheng

Coach
8. Fuifui
9 Keating
10 Bailey/Poore
11 Hindmarsh
12 Cayless
13 Mateo

I think this would more likely happen if Caylo is still around

oldmancraigy

Coach
Cordoba, Lowrie and Tautai would actually free up around 450K if im not mistakes. Sign someone like Bailey or Poore plus to lesser signing and you realise how bad our managment of players have been. None of those 3 players deserve over 100K but yet they all are played more than that.

You're right - they should all be 50k players.

Add in Finch's contract to that list, and suddenly we're looking at 750-800k to spend in the off-season.

That's 2 marquee players!

It'd make a massive difference...

TheRam

Coach
Maybe DA has not or will not offer contracts to the likes of Cordoba, Oake and Lowrie and similar others if they are comming off contract also, but it is just that Broderick was the only player so far that another club was interested in, thus the news.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Its OK to get rid of 2 or 3 players to sign a marquee player, but what if that marquee player gets injured? Then we have no depth or descent players to replace him with.
Not that we do now.

lol..what if the sky falls??

we've spoken about this a million times Redback but you continue to harp on depth fact remains that there are players out there like Matt White and Jesse Royal that have played more games than Brod and are performing better than cayless and you're worried about depth.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again, our problem wasn't depth ot was balancing the squad, Brod is very very replaceable infact someone like mitchel Johnston can probably do what Brod is doing this year.

Delboy

First Grade
Exactly, we have tried to push our own juniors without too much consideration of those oputside our boundaries. We have some very handy players who need some experience and hard heads around them, Brod is not someone you build a side around, we have to harden up in a lot of areas, and just not look to sign evreyone who comes through the ranks, and this is a big area we need to rectify.

fish eel

Immortal
Jesse Royal would have been a terrific purchase.

Good player, great worth ethic. Just the type we need.....

cgee221

Juniors
lol..what if the sky falls??

we've spoken about this a million times Redback but you continue to harp on depth fact remains that there are players out there like Matt White and Jesse Royal that have played more games than Brod and are performing better than cayless and you're worried about depth.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again, our problem wasn't depth ot was balancing the squad, Brod is very very replaceable infact someone like mitchel Johnston can probably do what Brod is doing this year.

Spot on Stagger.

I was actually quite annoyed when we didn't make a play for either Jesse Royal or Matt White. They were exactly what we needed. I knew they would have been cheap and the go forward/stats they had for Newcastle last year were fantastic.

Jesse Royal was working in the Newcastle mines until he got signed by the Warriors!

And we give another contract to Oake and Hauraki mid-way through last year after the performances they were dishing up!

Great work once again Parra Management :roll: