What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos in the ANZAC Test

salivor

First Grade
bluesbreaker said:
Haha, the truth really hurts doesn't it? Lockyer hasn't deserved selection at 5/8th for 1 moment of his career there. Overshadowed by minicello in 03, overshadowed by Fittler in 04, overshadowed by just about everyone in 05. Overshadowed by Thurston in 06?

At least he's consistent :lol:

Talking rubbish as always. Overshadowed by Mini in 03? Perhaps you didn't watch the ashes series that year where Lockyer was the difference between the two sides in an extremely tight series.

Overshadowed by Fittler in 04? Well considering that Fittler didn't make himself available for Australian selection in 2004 it must have been a real shock to you to see Lockyer selected as the Australian 5/8 over him and then go on to single handedly tear Great Britain apart in the Tri Nations final.

Overshadowed by everybody in 2005? Yes he had one bad season but picking the likes of Barrett and Prince on form turned out to be a real success didn't it? Who won the Tri Nations again?

Sure Thurston has had a great start to the season but he still has much to prove. Where was he in Origin 2 & 3 last year? MIA?

Time to crawl back under that bridge troll. If you don't know the way back home all you have to do is follow that awful stench all the way back to the Newcastle forum.

Mong

Post Whore
Lockyer shouldn't get in...

Should be

1) Minnichello
6) Thurston
7) Johns

Lockyer issn't really a bench player either so there is no reason he should be picked in the team.

salivor

First Grade
I can understand the push for Thurston as he's been superb and just added another notch to his belt today with a win over Johns but I can't understand the talk in the media now that Barrett will play at 5/8 with Locky moving to FB and Thurston maybe missing out alltogether. Barrett's form hasn't been too crash hot this season from what I've seen so far and he was average to put it nicely in the Tri Nations last year. About the only thing he's got going for him is that he's combined well with Joey in the past.

Mong

Post Whore
Mr Saab said:
No, he is only the captain of Australia.

There are other captains there who deserve to be picked on form and there are better players in the positions he can play who deserve to be selected ahead of him.

Mr Saab

Referee
It is called loyalty. If sides were picked on form every time then we would have 60 players playing for Australia every yr (from the may test to oct/nov tests). Now is that what you want? If it is, then sorry, cause it wont be happening.

broncoman

Juniors
Locky hasbeen picked for australia before when he has been down a bit on form and hes always played well, he never lets the country down as a player or as a captain, he should be picked at 5/8 without a doubt imo...

lockyno1

Post Whore
broncoman said:
Locky hasbeen picked for australia before when he has been down a bit on form and hes always played well, he never lets the country down as a player or as a captain, he should be picked at 5/8 without a doubt imo...

Agreed although I think you will see him at fullback and Mini on the wing with Thurston in the no6. That is my gut feeling.;-)

broncoman

Juniors
i think the reluctance to move Mini from #1 will be far greater than the urge to pick Thurston in #6, on that alone i think we'll see Locky at 5/8...

broncoman

Juniors
Mixmasterreece said:
Word on the street is that Greg Eastwood may get a run for the kiwis
he wouldnt be the worst option for them, neither would tupou if he gets a run...

broncoman

Juniors
back to the main topic anyway, i cant see Hodges being left out, if the selectors are fair dinkum about winning this test match he'll be picked in the centres...

Mr Saab

Referee
He wont be picked. Politics.
Shame, but at least he will be fit for the broncos that weekend (wont have to back up)

Dazzat

First Grade
If Hodges isn't the best centre in the competition - even better than Gasnier - I'm Phil Gould's son.

Cooper is an opportunist - he doesn't create breaks he backs up.

Diablo

Juniors
I do not understand the conjecture of Mark Gasnier having to be picked for the Kangaroos.

Justin Hodges is the best centre in the NRL. Talent and performance wise, no doubt about it in my opinion.

Petero should get a run. His yardage and work-rate is as good as it has ever been.

Though I also believe that Jonathan Thurston should be selected at 6 in front of Locky. Thurston has been the best player in the comp over the past 1 and a half years while Locky has been fairly inconsistent with us. Hopefully it would give Locky a good kick up the backside he might just need.

Mr Saab

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Lockyer will be the only one picked.
Hodges is an outside chance, but I dont know if he will get in ahead of Cooper and Gasnier.
Petero is 10000s

Petero's odds just came into 6/4

Big Pete

Referee
So far I can see the following being selected.

Darren Lockyer (Give him a class backline and watch him shine)
Petero Civoniceiva
Justin Hodges