What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos R19 in Brisbane.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I might be playing a bit of Devils Advocate here but I was actually pretty happy with Sloan's performance.

He was really good under the high ball all night, trailed well through the middle and looked pretty dangerous on the sweep.

In the end, I understand he missed 4 tackles that lead to 4 tries and that hurts. But... He was putting his body in front and getting a good piece on every single attempt. The Staggs tries were the worst, but also... Tackling Staggs 1 on 1 with a head full of steam, I wouldn't put my money on any fullback bar Edwards or Tedesco to get that job done.

The other two I believe is a result of poor defensive tactics...

Sloan would give away weight to just about every other player on the comp. Why is it, that our defensive structure allows him to be isolated so easily. Both Mozer and Mam saw Sloan by himself at A defender and took him on. He needs a bodyguard or the Marker needs to recognise that Sloan is a target (F. Molo and JDB in these cases) and protect him.

Like Beau Scott with Soward. If Soward ever got isolated, he was a hopeless defender. I liability to be honest. But when he had Beau Scott in his pocket... Noone wanted to run at him because well, Beau Scott would be there.

I'm just happy that Sloan was putting himself in front and I felt really sorry for him that he got run over 4 times, because the effort was there. And that is more than I can say for him last year or Dufty ever.

Happy with the win but I wish the dragons would lose the 'try not to lose' mentality and get ruthless. The Broncos were there for the taking but we got mentally in our own way trying to defend a lead rather than keep to what was working..

Also, the bullshit call of held when momentum was still there got me so angry. That was an absolute momentum changer for us and it was taken away by a shocking 'judgement call' when he never called held.

BLM01

First Grade
I might be playing a bit of Devils Advocate here but I was actually pretty happy with Sloan's performance.

He was really good under the high ball all night, trailed well through the middle and looked pretty dangerous on the sweep.

In the end, I understand he missed 4 tackles that lead to 4 tries and that hurts. But... He was putting his body in front and getting a good piece on every single attempt. The Staggs tries were the worst, but also... Tackling Staggs 1 on 1 with a head full of steam, I wouldn't put my money on any fullback bar Edwards or Tedesco to get that job done.

The other two I believe is a result of poor defensive tactics...

Sloan would give away weight to just about every other player on the comp. Why is it, that our defensive structure allows him to be isolated so easily. Both Mozer and Mam saw Sloan by himself at A defender and took him on. He needs a bodyguard or the Marker needs to recognise that Sloan is a target (F. Molo and JDB in these cases) and protect him.

Like Beau Scott with Soward. If Soward ever got isolated, he was a hopeless defender. I liability to be honest. But when he had Beau Scott in his pocket... Noone wanted to run at him because well, Beau Scott would be there.

I'm just happy that Sloan was putting himself in front and I felt really sorry for him that he got run over 4 times, because the effort was there. And that is more than I can say for him last year or Dufty ever.

Happy with the win but I wish the dragons would lose the 'try not to lose' mentality and get ruthless. The Broncos were there for the taking but we got mentally in our own way trying to defend a lead rather than keep to what was working..

Also, the bullshit call of held when momentum was still there got me so angry. That was an absolute momentum changer for us and it was taken away by a shocking 'judgement call' when he never called held.
Soward defended one in from the winger, easier to protect.
Todays modern fullback always get isolated and you cant have a protector all the time when you are defending the line especially when forwards are gassed from defending in the middle and retreating, the fullback has to sweep and follow the ball as much as possible
Some of his tackles were from either poor technique, fist Staggs break or trying to grab and wrap the ball, not using his shoulder.
I am a fan and will give him time as young but he needs to improve there

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
What did Sloan do to attract those responses from Walters and Mam? Or was that the tactic? To niggle and attack Sloan to get him off his game?
Sloan was the target for everything Brisbane last

verbal
Physical
Everything

it was probably the most focussed individual attack by a team in the NRL that I have seen for many seasons

I though Sloan held his own first half after an absolute barrage of hits and bombs and verbal on Sloan……..and second half there were many layers to the problems we encountered- not just Sloan last defender.

jeffdragon

Bench
Swapping text messages with my son 10 minutes into the second half I said its about time the ref starts to give all the momentum to the Broncos. And surprise, surprise, look what happened. Six agains everywhere, that terrible call on the sideline tackle which in my opinion invited the Broncos right back into the game.....

Only the Dragons can nearly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

So not only is Billy Walters a bog average player but he is a class A grub. The stuff with Sloan was completely unnecessary. Walters now joins my Ronaldo Mulitalo Complete Dickhead club.
Great first half, referee assisted second half. Still a very mentally weak side when things go against them.

CT did well - had to do a heck of a lot of work for each of his tries.
Halves looked just as good as they did against Penrith. A lot less cap space taken up too.......
S'ua for captain.
Sele rusty but added some much need go forward.
Sloan - geez. I can see the upside in the kid but he had a shocker in the second half. (thought he was very solid in the first half). Hope he's not reading social media today. Criticism is fine but the vitriol and hatred from pathetic keyboard warriors is vile. Interesting 12 months coming up for him and for coach Flanno. Can he fix Sloan's weaknesses? At what point do we say the weaknesses aren't going to go away? Would have loved to have heard that after-game talk he was having with Flanno - Flanno wasn't smiling......

Anyway a win is a win and against the GF choker Broncos its even better. And they keep themselves in contention for an unlikely finals tilt. Still thinking we're going to fall short but at least their destiny is in their own hands.

p.s. was thoroughly enjoyable knowing that Lawrie wasn't going to lumber on to the field at any stage of the game. Surplus to requirements.
I agree.
Thought there was going to be a even up.
And glad you mention Mulitalo did you catch him tell fans after a try to f off.
He's a wanker.
I hope someone gives it to him deluxe.

TruSaint

Referee
Just watched the game once again. Wanna give out a shout out to Jesse Marchke. Solid all round, nothing flashy but combined well in the halves.

In particular the chase he made on Staggs when he scored out wide and missed the kick. In the end it didn't matter, but it's those effort plays by no nonsense players that I like.

Oh, and it was nice to see Sele back.

TheRev

First Grade
Just watched the game once again. Wanna give out a shout out to Jesse Marchke. Solid all round, nothing flashy but combined well in the halves.

In particular the chase he made on Staggs when he scored out wide and missed the kick. In the end it didn't matter, but it's those effort plays by no nonsense players that I like.
he also hadnt played a game in like 4-6 weeks, was a big ask.. hes also not a real 7.. was a great effort.. and yes that chase was rly important.. every point mattered.

Bin Chicken

Juniors
Sloan was the target for everything Brisbane last

verbal
Physical
Everything

it was probably the most focussed individual attack by a team in the NRL that I have seen for many seasons

I though Sloan held his own first half after an absolute barrage of hits and bombs and verbal on Sloan……..and second half there were many layers to the problems we encountered- not just Sloan last defender.
In most of the tries he was the first defender. There’s a reason they went after him

HenryTatana

Juniors
I dont blame Kyle for that captains challenge, it was very freaking confusing, none of us really understood what the ref was implying.. and it seemed like he did infact go into touch so at the very least maybe we retained the challenge.. it was a huge turning point in the game... and it was blown very late by the ref.
And the tosser didn’t call held in the first half when Staggs made the run in the lead up to their first try.

TheRev

First Grade
If he had a hamstring issue that chase on Staggs wouldn’t have done him any favours.
I didnt realise he was injured again, I thought Flanno just wanted some fresh legs out there.

If hes done his hammy again chasing, honestly what a legend.. he did his job, Flanno said he had him on Ice for this game.. and he did his job.. we got thru the origin period.

Latest posts