What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

hellteam

First Grade
Signing Widdop is a massive gamble. I can't think of a player who has left Melbourne and actually got better. Adam Blair looked a good signing for the Tigers at the time too and we saw what happened there...

Agree with Pete about Reynolds, I think he overachieved last year (mainly because of Barba) and will not be anything more than a solid first grader for the rest of his career. In fact I reckon in 1-2 years he will be playing at hooker for the Dogs anyway, it's his best position.

Kiwi

First Grade
what are the odds we will soon see Broncos offer Brett Seymour League lifeline? Just been released and fits the current bring back over the hill former players stand the club has.

Morkel

Juniors
Seriously what is our recruitment doing?????

We have just pretty much let every target slip away, soon we will be looking to sign Lui as he will be the only one the market.

Who we going to replace Norman with?

So much free cap but we are not even spending it.

Who says any of them were targets?

Behold

Juniors
If the broncos aren't talking to Berrick Barnes we have massive problems. He fits the bill as a Brisbane developed player, is off contract with the Waratahs at the end of the year and is looking to go somewhere else. Could be convinced of staying with League long term and is better than any of the players on the market currently. Broncos should also be opening up the cheque book for Ben Hunt because he has to be the long term half for the Broncos particularly with the adjustments in salary caps, we are already seeing silly money being thrown at half decent players this will only get worse with desperate clubs throwing the kitchen sink at anyone who has put 5 good games together to try and get themselves out of the bottom 4.

Spot On

Coach
Is there a more overated player than Widdop?

Apart from Josh Reynolds.

I do not see why Josh Reynolds is regarded so highly. He has minimal ball playing and kicking skills. Yes he tries hard but the talent is not there. He runs across field and throws a slow dummy which has become his signature play. Can't believe he is being talked up as an origin player.

whykickamoocow

Juniors

beads6

First Grade
Widdop wasn''t the star playmaker we need. He would have been a handy get but it was not to be.

hellteam

First Grade
If the broncos aren't talking to Berrick Barnes we have massive problems. He fits the bill as a Brisbane developed player, is off contract with the Waratahs at the end of the year and is looking to go somewhere else. Could be convinced of staying with League long term and is better than any of the players on the market currently. Broncos should also be opening up the cheque book for Ben Hunt because he has to be the long term half for the Broncos particularly with the adjustments in salary caps, we are already seeing silly money being thrown at half decent players this will only get worse with desperate clubs throwing the kitchen sink at anyone who has put 5 good games together to try and get themselves out of the bottom 4.

Surely you are kidding, Berrick Barnes would be terrible! Have you watched him play the last few years? He kicks it about 95% of the time, never makes/sets up line breaks and gets concussed/injured every few games.

Karmichael Hunt on the other hand, I would definitely take him back.

Noa

First Grade
Signing Widdop is a massive gamble. I can't think of a player who has left Melbourne and actually got better. Adam Blair looked a good signing for the Tigers at the time too and we saw what happened there...

One of the great myths and if most havent gotten better they havent been any worse. Which isnt suprising as most arent spring chickens when they do leave

unbreaK

Juniors

Agree with Pete about Reynolds, I think he overachieved last year (mainly because of Barba) and will not be anything more than a solid first grader for the rest of his career. In fact I reckon in 1-2 years he will be playing at hooker for the Dogs anyway, it's his best position.

Folau
Inglis

(?)

Don't think Folau got better and Inglis was simply put into the postion that he should have been in for a while. It's crazy to think what might have happened if Bellamy had stuck with Inglis @ 1.

JamesBrandy

Juniors
With Reynolds staying at the Dogs for another four years and Widdop now a Dragon, who is left? I still think Ben Hunt needs to be retained, especially since we lost Norman.

unbreaK

Juniors
With Reynolds staying at the Dogs for another four years and Widdop now a Dragon, who is left? I still think Ben Hunt needs to be retained, especially since we lost Norman.
Off the top of my head -

Todd Carney
Trent Hodkinson
Sam Williams
Robert Lui
Daniel Mortimer

Leaguefan22

Juniors
I'm not disappointed we didn't sign Widdop. Is there a bigger candidate for the category of "player who looks better than he is because he's surrounded by other good players"?

Widdop may turn out to be a very good player but he's proved very little so far down in Melbourne.