What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
From Wallace article on couriermail today looks like there is a high chance baptiste won't be at club next year. Damn I wish Macca wasn't so overrated by the club.

Big Pete

Referee
Might have to start calling you GoTheDevils. :p

Shame that we're losing Baptiste, I've been calling for his inclusion in the first grade side since 2011 but luck hasn't been on his side. Not the end of the world really, Macca's best years are in-front of him and we've got Granville, Cullen and Berrell coming through.

Bretto

Bench

Shame that we're losing Baptiste, I've been calling for his inclusion in the first grade side since 2011 but luck hasn't been on his side. Not the end of the world really, Macca's best years are in-front of him and we've got Granville, Cullen and Berrell coming through.

I think this is a crucial point. Macca has only just turned 23 at the end of January. Cam Smith (if I can use this comparison please), only really started to play good footy after he was about 23/24. In saying this, Macca needs to be thrown in the deep end and made to play 80 minutes.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

Haha... I can live with GTD :p

I must be the only one who thinks Macca will be average forever. I just haven't seen anything that shows me he is going to improve. I rate both baptiste and Granville higher. Looks like Macca will be our long term hooker so I hope I'm wrong. Penrith will have a hooker rotation of segeyaro and baptiste. Damn, I know which rotation I'd rather have...

Big Pete

Referee
I think this is a crucial point. Macca has only just turned 23 at the end of January. Cam Smith (if I can use this comparison please), only really started to play good footy after he was about 23/24. In saying this, Macca needs to be thrown in the deep end and made to play 80 minutes.

Exactly although I'm not so concerned about him playing 80 just yet. Having Granville there to keep him honest is a good start.

GoTheBroncos said:
I must be the only one who thinks Macca will be average forever.

:lol: only you and most Broncos supporters mate.

If anything I'm the exception.

GoTheBroncos said:
I just haven't seen anything that shows me he is going to improve.

I thought his overall game improved last season and he's shown some good signs this season. He hasn't gone on with it as expected but that complaint could be made of a bunch of players really - eg. McGuire, Glenn, Gillett, Norman etc.

GoTheBroncos said:
I rate both baptiste and Granville higher.

Based on them playing in a lesser competition.

I wasn't too impressed with Granville on Friday. Loved that he actually put pressure on Hodkinson to force the error and that break down the field but he was pretty loose in defence and with his service. Baptiste had similar issues when he was given a go in the past too.

Ideally, I actually think Baptiste suits Hook's style of play more but I rate McCullough as the better all-round player.

gUt

Coach
I've always loved Macca but I think he needs to go back to basics and just give good service. Stop the predictable barge-over attempt EVERY MATCH that just wastes a play, and stop kicking it until he actually can.

Exactly although I'm not so concerned about him playing 80 just yet. Having Granville there to keep him honest is a good start.

This. Having another actual hooker on the bench should push Macca to play better. Yet another reason, IMO, that a reserve grade comp needs to be re-introduced. Feeder clubs are all well and good, but we're really missing that link. I doubt we'd have lost as much talent as we have if the Reserves were still around. The difference between "Hey X, you'll be dropped back to the reserve Broncos side this week" and "Hey X, you'll be dropped back to Qcup this week" is substantial IMO.

austyphoon

Juniors
This. Having another actual hooker on the bench should push Macca to play better. Yet another reason, IMO, that a reserve grade comp needs to be re-introduced. Feeder clubs are all well and good, but we're really missing that link. I doubt we'd have lost as much talent as we have if the Reserves were still around. The difference between "Hey X, you'll be dropped back to the reserve Broncos side this week" and "Hey X, you'll be dropped back to Qcup this week" is substantial IMO.

Is that going to happen though? Prince will be back, which means that Hunt will most likely go back to the bench and push Granville out.

Coz87

Juniors
I like hunt at hooker everytime he comes on it add a spark to our attack. I think macca will end up playng lock as he gets older. We need to look for a strike centre. Some guys with speed on the wings and someone to bring energy to the halves. Sometimes it looks like we are playing in slow mo. I don't think sam tomkins is the answer. Also on another note Hock wants to pull out of parra deal

beads6

First Grade
Apparently the Panthers are chasing Baptiste? According to the Courier Mail.

Thoughts?

Bound to happen. He is a quality player who deserves a crack but is stuck behind McCullough and Hunt. I'll be disappointed if we lose all these players and don't make nay signing at all.

ranga68

Juniors
There maybe a few more off very soon they way things are going. When you have a coach and a captain at a press conference saying that players are ready for origin yet . Capewell is off to Penrith as well. Berryman gone. Wallace maybe who else?

unbreaK

Juniors
There maybe a few more off very soon they way things are going. When you have a coach and a captain at a press conference saying that players are ready for origin yet . Capewell is off to Penrith as well. Berryman gone. Wallace maybe who else?

Mitchell Frei
Corey Norman
Luke Capewell
Delroy Berryman
Peter Wallace (?)

Kiwi

First Grade
Mitchell Frei
Corey Norman
Luke Capewell
Delroy Berryman
Peter Wallace (?)
and from that list the only player anyone seemed upset in losing is Frei. People seem to want certain players gone, when it starts happening they don't like it.

Kiwi

First Grade
apparently the broncos are chasing a current panther, a Wallace swap maybe?