What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
it's cruelled us for years, not just this year. mcculloch has a dummy but he's incredibly slow out of dummy half. i havent seen any other player have the ball knocked out of his hands so much

we've had fast players like baptiste and granville twiddling their thumbs elsewhere whislt continuing to try and make hunt into a 9. he's already shown more in his few games at 7 then he has in his 3 years as a backup hooker

mcculloch wont work at 6. what the hell happened to baptiste? he played well a few years ago when he got the chance but hasnt been sighted since?

Baptiste has been playing well this year too, he is too good for qld cup. But recently he dislocated his shoulder for the second time this year, so there may now be some uncertainty about his career. For that reason it is especially.good news that we have re-signed Granville.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Why are we continuing talking about playing players out of position? Macca's form of late would suggest he's hooker long term. Don't like it? tough. Baptiste and Granville will come into utility calculations next year from the bench. As for our number 6 next year maybe recruitment should have signed a half not a fullback. The biggest contradiction is I think Hoffman is a better winger than a fullback. Regardless, you've got to have the right players in key positions and our club is letting us down there. Having a settled cohesive dynamic spine is what you build sides around.

The Eagle

Juniors
Man those are terrible halves

Barba should be the six and a player like Robson would be OK as the seven,barba would need an organizing seven

Dazzat

First Grade
I'd rather blood a new 5/8 than play McCullough there. Otherwise it's the same old mistake again. Look at what playing Hunt out of position has done to the team. One needs to learn from mistakes not repeat them.

AceAv

Juniors
Im a bit sigh at Hoffman being a bitch about moving back to wing...

He's better there. -As safe as he is at FB even Norman was better at the support play and attacking ability he has. My hope is Barba shows him a few new tricks and the two work together.

I still want to see us try a few options at 6 before we settle in. Barba would do well I imagine. But yeah will expect Hunt to develop the organisation skills and long kicking game next year...

So glad we're going to see Granville most likely come in next year. Im predicting big things from this kid.

It's a bright light at the end of this 2 year tunnel... Now we have our halves problem sorted out somewhat, it's time to pressure them to look at signing the next Burgess type of forward and looking into co-captaincy or a different captain other than Thaiday... He just doesn't have the drive unfortunately.

deanothep

Juniors
Man those are terrible halves

Barba should be the six and a player like Robson would be OK as the seven,barba would need an organizing seven
:lol::lol::lol:

Broncos fans complain about Wallace and you suggest Robson. Wallace is atleast 40% better than Robbo. Robbo has no kicking game, vision or speed.

Country Bronco

Juniors
:lol::lol::lol:

Broncos fans complain about Wallace and you suggest Robson. Wallace is atleast 40% better than Robbo. Robbo has no kicking game, vision or speed.

That's brighten my day knowing you've still got robson. Wallace has half a kicking game which is his long kicks but the other half (short kicks), he's sh*thouse. Wallace's vision needs specs savers. As for speed, he's about as fast as our speedy winger Maranta.

Country Bronco

Juniors
The best thing for the broncos to do is to place the next top two emerging halves together in a intrust cup team next year. Let them stay the whole year. I know I was a big advocate for under 20's but we're not producing halves ready for nrl in this competition. Or better still play these four players (Cullen, Taylor, Paia'Aua and Nikorima) in qcup in pairs. Replace them in under twenties with next batch.

hellteam

First Grade
I think Hoffman seriously has a big future in the centres. Especially with Hodges gone for a lot of next year, he has a chance to be starting left centre (Reed right) from the start. We're not going to put stop gap guys like Stagg Glenn etc there next year I'd say.

He's a better wing/centre than fullback, he'll just need to accept it.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think Hoffman seriously has a big future in the centres. Especially with Hodges gone for a lot of next year, he has a chance to be starting left centre (Reed right) from the start. We're not going to put stop gap guys like Stagg Glenn etc there next year I'd say.

He's a better wing/centre than fullback, he'll just need to accept it.

This ^^^

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Need more speed. Blair would have been a good signing but Hoffman to the centres, Copley on the wing and Barba at fullback will help a lot. Shouldn't need to go outside the club for speedier backs. Throw in Granville and with Hunt at halfback, the tempo should improve outta sight.

Kiwi

First Grade
I'm a Hoffman fan but if we get Barba and Milfors and he decides to leave uthen that's a good trade

hellteam

First Grade
Omg our wishes are slowly coming true

Yes, yes....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...broncos-wishlist/story-fnca0von-1226718872503

TRI-CODE pioneer Karmichael Hunt is shaping as the answer to Brisbane's dilemma in the halves as speculation mounts that the former Test and State of Origin star, now playing in the AFL with the Gold Coast Suns, is considering a return to the NRL. Desperately needing to overhaul their playing stocks after a poor season, the Broncos are causing enormous ructions behind the scenes in the NRL, making rare use of the club's unrivalled professional and financial clout.
Having already secured the services of Ben Barba and Martin Kennedy, Broncos football operations manager Andrew Gee has his sights set on adding to the backline stocks, but not before securing a new set of halves to replace departing trio Corey Norman, Scott Prince and Peter Wallace.

Dazzat

First Grade
That's reported in the Australian on a Saturday ... so a far more credible source than the Courier Fail on a Monday.

* Not great news for Ray Warren - could be another slip of the tongue coming. And call two Hunt's playing in the halves for Brisbane - the old fella will be getting confused
* Hunt's kicking game should be vastly improved
* He'll need to pack on the weight
* K. Hunt will provide the talk on the field that will be missing without Prince

Amazing how things change though. The decision of Ricky Stuart to go to Canberra is now affecting Milford's future.

Big Pete

Referee
Mmm, I just think it's a media beat up.

They still have to sell papers and the Stuart signing has breathed new life into the Milford signing so they'll resort to any new twist - whether it's relevant or not.

hellteam

First Grade
I would rather Hunt... Barba and Milford seem like extremely similar players, don't know if we need them both.

DeeJ

Bench
Some thoughts on Hunt:

He would be best suited at fullback at this stage because of his previous experience there, higher level of fitness and smaller frame.

Of course now that we have Barba that poses a dilemma. Perhaps Hunt can start at 1 then after 20 min or so they can swap. Hunt won't be used to the physicality of league after so many years and will get targetted alot in defending in the line.

Another thought is to do a 2008 and play Stagg at 5/8th to start the match, then have Hunt come in after 20 min, just like when Locky was coming back from injury.

Either way it would be awesome to have Hunt back at the club, but he may need 10 games or so to adapt to the NRL again.

Latest posts