What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Kiwi

First Grade
Was also involved in some assault allegations earlier this year.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/09/13/388981_news.html

In other news, it appears Lama Tasi is off to Salford.

I was kinda underwhelmed by him this year anyway, at best he would be a back up for us. Hannant, McGuire, Kennedy, Hala, Dodds, Wallace and Gibbs should all be ahead of him in the front row, and well our back row stocks are better impressive when a current rep back rower will definitely be sitting on the bench next year.

Dazzat

First Grade
Tasi seemed to have all the ingredients to make a good front rower, but was very under-whelming in his brief time at the club. Wallace looked more impressive in his very short stints.

Jason Simmons

Juniors
Any chance we let Tasi go because we're looking to sign Russell Packer now that he has allegedly been released by the Warriors?

I know he had his on-field indiscretion at Suncorp earlier this year, but he's played Origin for Qld previously and with him and Martin Kennedy in our team, we won't be 'out-sized' by any pack in the comp.

I'd have him in the Broncs team in a heartbeat. Him and McGuire starting with Hannant and Kennedy on the bench would give us an awesome prop rotation and suit Griffin's preferred style of player down to the ground (apart from the one off disciplinary issue).

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Any chance we let Tasi go because we're looking to sign Russell Packer now that he has allegedly been released by the Warriors?

I know he had his on-field indiscretion at Suncorp earlier this year, but he's played Origin for Qld previously and with him and Martin Kennedy in our team, we won't be 'out-sized' by any pack in the comp.

I'd have him in the Broncs team in a heartbeat. Him and McGuire starting with Hannant and Kennedy on the bench would give us an awesome prop rotation and suit Griffin's preferred style of player down to the ground (apart from the one off disciplinary issue).

Maybe he was marking his territory knowing that he would soon head to Brisbane? :p

DeeJ

Bench

I think you've confused Packer for Lillyman. Russell Packer is a kiwi and has represented NZ.

AceAv

Juniors
Yep I don't think Packer in the squad would be 'pissing up the wall' so to speak!

Kennedy will be fine... So over this drug crap as the players were not using a banned substance at the time in question. Morally of course it's not in the spirit of the sport, but neither is taking another players boots off in a tackle and throwing into the crowd!!?

broncos2010

Juniors
Just read that james o'conner got a release from the ARU contract,is he not a qld boy?

James o'conner in the halves :D:D

DeeJ

Bench
Just read that james o'conner got a release from the ARU contract,is he not a qld boy?

James o'conner in the halves :D:D

Yes he is originally from the gold coast.

I wouldn't mind giving him a go, as we have no other options.

However Broncos are never that ambitious in recruiting a big name and/or with a bad rap sheet.

It's too bad though, I'm sure Barba and O'connor would have had some great bonding nights.

Dazzat

First Grade
When you look closely at the 'rap sheet', it really isn't that bad. O'Connor is just another example of being held to high standards, but given too much latitude. The week-by-week slog of the NRL may suit him better.

Our backline is looking a little packed at the moment, so not sure where he'd go. Fullback would probably be his go due to having tugby defensive skills. The Bulldogs should be fishing as we speak.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Our backline is looking a little packed at the moment, so not sure where he'd go. Fullback would probably be his go due to having tugby defensive skills. The Bulldogs should be fishing as we speak.

If we went after him, I assume it would be for 5/8th given his experience at Fly-half. That said, we shouldn't be going after him.

DeeJ

Bench
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/b...oy-james-oconnor/story-fni2u98u-1226732782327

No interest but apparently he used to be on our books but Cyril Connell said he was too small to make it... when he was 15.

Now we all know that Connell was no mug, but it's a strange trend making these calls on size when players are very much in their infancy. I've heard similar stories from other clubs with Thurston, Barba etc.

Not other clubs, our club. Thurston, Barba and Slater were told by the Broncos that they were too small.

It sucks that we concentrate more on athletes than footballers, then again every club is doing it.

Kiwi

First Grade
RLW has us getting Stewart Mills from the Sharks.

Would be happy with this, he was named in the NSWRL team of the year at centre. Also plays wing and fullback. If rumors are correct and Hoffman wants to leave then would be a handy pick up for sure. Has pace from what I've seen of him.

Seriously? This is terrible news. He is maranta 2.0. Nsw cup is a different ball game and he was surrounded by good players in the premiership winning team. Maranta shone in qld cup too. That signing will do me

Kiwi

First Grade
Seriously? This is terrible news. He is maranta 2.0. Nsw cup is a different ball game and he was surrounded by good players in the premiership winning team. Maranta shone in qld cup too. That signing will do me

Everytime I watched Maranta in QLD Cup he looked ordinary

When he got sent back to qcup the norths game was on channel 9 that weekend. Saw about 10 minutes in passing, he made a clean line break, drew in 2 defenders and set up his winger untouched. My jaw dropped to the floor!
That aside, I've never seen anything flashy from mills. He is the epitome of no frills. Double of Maranta. Trust me, I want to be eexcited.

Snappy

Coach
You talking bout that gimp from cronulla with bad hair ?

No thanks, he's utterly shit.

Latest posts