What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

1qaz

Juniors
I guess Gagai turned things around at the Knights.

Hope that the same happens for Vidot at a new club. When I say "hope", I really mean "pray"... :pray:

Gagai has more talent in left testicle than that dumb ass Vidumb. Yes.. Dane's left testy is considerably smaller than his right

Dazzat

First Grade
I can understand the Vidot and Mills signings ... all summed up in one word ... Maranta.

It's basically a case of anyone is better than the winger who seemed to play just about every game this year.

The only reason I can think of for the Lowrie signing is State of Origin backup, when Parker, Gillett and Thaiday are out of the team. Also, perhaps to give Parker a bit of respite by having another worker in the pack.

Kiwi

First Grade
I guess when you consider one of our biggest problems this year was the fact that our wide running back rowers in Gillett, Thaiday and Glenn had no choice but to do the hard yards up the middle, the work of a front rower. When we have the three I mentioned running wide, we are very dangerous, especially inside the opposition half, a place we found ourselves more times than any other team I think was reported at one stage. Throw Lowrie a work horse in there, Kennedy a big front rower and suddenly those three are pushed wide again. Also when you consider another of our big issues was getting split up the middle late in the halves, throw Lowrie in the middle with Parker and McCullough who all get through a mountain of defence and suddenly that is no longer a problem.

DeeJ

Bench
I guess when you consider one of our biggest problems this year was the fact that our wide running back rowers in Gillett, Thaiday and Glenn had no choice but to do the hard yards up the middle, the work of a front rower. When we have the three I mentioned running wide, we are very dangerous, especially inside the opposition half, a place we found ourselves more times than any other team I think was reported at one stage. Throw Lowrie a work horse in there, Kennedy a big front rower and suddenly those three are pushed wide again. Also when you consider another of our big issues was getting split up the middle late in the halves, throw Lowrie in the middle with Parker and McCullough who all get through a mountain of defence and suddenly that is no longer a problem.

We have Stagg to do the defensive work in the middle of the field though. I've heard Lowrie was released because he has a sick son here in Brisbane, so maybe the club did something nice and lent him a hand which I can live with.

AceAv

Juniors
Yeh Stagg seemed to slow down a lot in the last couple years. -I wasn't too disappointing with his efforts this year. Always puts in 110%, but his body is starting to give way =/.

I agree with Kiwi and see these signings as depth bolsters. We'll suffer injuries like any other team next year and hopefully these signings will fill the slots well and not force Griffin to give players like Maranta week in week out runs after loss after loss...

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the problem with depth signings is that they dont help if the top 17 arent really firing. i see lowrie in a similar mold to stagg (but better), but having them both there wont work. we lacked impact off the bench last year, and with kennedy's arrival one, eithe rhe, hannant or mcguire will hopefully be able to play off the bench and give us some punch.

vidot and mills similarly arent exactly players who will set the place on fire either so how much they challenge for 1st grade spots is debateable. I think vidot potentially could be useful but i'd rather have milford than the 3 combined

AceAv

Juniors
With the coin Raiders put under Milfies nose, I kind of get the feeling suddenly his dad will be feeling much better and he's scheduling monthly visits instead of moving...

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Agree Pierced, so point having Lowrie and Stagg. I was pretty happy with Stagg this year, and hope he can make a similar kind of effort next year.

I think that Vidot could make a difference to our team if he fires. I would have preferred some other rumours like Edrick or Brenko Lee being true, but I'm happy enough with Vidot.

AceAv: Yes seems more and more likely that Milf will stay in Canberra.

Big Pete

Referee
As much as we need another half, I believe if there was one club that needed to sign a bunch of depth players it's the Brisbane Broncos. Ever since the club was admitted, we've struggled to field a competitive side around the Origin period and the ramifications are generally felt for the rest of the season. These signings ensure that we don't see McCullough in the backrow or Maranta receive a free pass and I doubt we paid top dollar for any of them.

Even on the surface, I'm happy with the signings of Vidot and Mills because we needed more backs - Lowrie doesn't do a whole lot for me but he'll be valuable around Origin time when we need some experience.

Dazzat

First Grade
This year was exceptional ... two of our top wingers out of the season (Yow Yeh and Copley), a promising young player out of form and seemingly disinterested (Norman) and other backs injured consistently (Hodges and Kahu). Throw in another promising player - Whitchurch - struggling to regain any form whatsoever after bad injury.

I never thought I'd see a player of Maranta's inability play for the Broncos that has boasted wingers such as Sailor, Tiquri, Carne and Hancock.

If we can get all our players on the field next year, we still have one of the best back lines in the competition (with the exception of our vacant 5/8 position).

These buys show that the club has moved on from the assumption that the Queensland Cup would supply both new stars and back-up players. It didn't work. In fact it was a disaster.

Facts Only

Juniors
I'd say not on Thaiday in the front row. Dodds was showing some positive signs towards the back end of the season but another imposing prop should be on the shopping list in the future. I'm thinking (hoping) Lowrie wouldn't make our top 17. With any luck, the signing of more outside backs lets us put Oates closer to the action.

Say if our team looked like this (pending Milford decision):

1. Hoffman
2, 4 and 5 fought between Kahu, Copley, Mills, Vidot and possibly Oates in the centres.
3. Reed
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Thaiday
12. Gillette
13. Parker

14. Glenn; 15. Kennedy; 16. Dodds/Hala; 17. Granville (though I wouldn't mind Oates as a 2nd rower if Macca can play 80).

What chance has that Mills got of playing first grade - really??
Pomeroy played centres in first grade at Cronulla - Mills reserves.
Cronulla didn't resign Pomeroy OR Mills - so . . .

Cronulla have effectively said Mills is a park footballer - Broncs bought him . . .?

Dazzat

First Grade
What chance has that Mills got of playing first grade - really??
Pomeroy played centres in first grade at Cronulla - Mills reserves.
Cronulla didn't resign Pomeroy OR Mills - so . . .

Cronulla have effectively said Mills is a park footballer - Broncs bought him . . .?

If you saw Maranta play you'd understand.

Boy

Juniors
I hope maranta proves us wrong and he works his ass off
I kinda have a soft spot for him
But if he is not the best for the job he needs to go

Dazzat

First Grade
Yes, if the rumours are true Milford is over the line and set to join the club if not 2014 then 2015. That would make 2013 the biggest recruitment drive the club has seen since its start.

Although given the choice, I'd rather see Karmichael Hunt back at the club.

And with the signing of Lowrie and yes, even Stewart Mills, the club has now turned the trend and can now sign non-Queensland players. A small breakthrough, but nonetheless significant.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Again there is no quotes from players in that article. So the only comment that seems to bring some more information about the Milford situation is the one from Furner: "I've also heard that he won't be coming back". Other than that I don't think the article has much weight behind it.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Although given the choice, I'd rather see Karmichael Hunt back at the club.

I would be pretty happy if Special K came back too. But I don't remember seeing anything that strongly suggested he could return to the Broncos???

broncos2010

Juniors
Don't you guys feel bad that we got a player on these terms?

I feel sorry for the raiders I really do, I really love this club and cant wait for him to play for us but my heart feels sorry for them losing all 3 of their marquee players like this.