What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Maroon4life

Juniors
The problem with our team/club at the moment is that our "good", highest paid players just aren't producing, haven't been for some time, and I don't think they ever will again. These are players you pay top dollar for, the game winners.

Take a look at our Kangaroos (past and present) players - Thaiday, Hodges, Gillett, Parker. Apart from Parker, none of them can be relied on to put in a good shift every week. Thaiday turns up for 2 games a year in Origin (does nothing for us), Hodges is injured 50 percent of the time and I've never seen a player as inconsistent as Gillett. Plus our other internationals, Glenn, Hoffman, Reed, have been struggling for a few years now.

And then we have other players, on comparatively low wages, carrying the team. I'm talking about Hunt, Copley, Vidot, McGuire, McCullough. It's a strange situation but we have a decent base to work from here.

In conclusion, I'm sad to say it, but I think we need to cut ties with Thaiday and Hodges. Sometimes clubs have to make these tough decisions, they're not popular at the time, but they need to be done.

I'll give you hodges, i was happy for the broncos to cut him loose before he signed his last contract which was a massive failure. He is a broken, slow, pessimistic player. Time for him to bow out.

The Chello

Juniors
Yeah agreed that some tough decisions need to be made.

Thaiday goes alright but not for someone on his coin. He needs to be our leader on the field week in and week out. The odd good game is not good enough.

When Hodges went off injured tonight it didn't really bother me at all, which is scary. He is just not having impacts on games anymore plus you can't rely on him as he could get injured at anytime.

Gillett is really starting to annoy me too. What does he bring to games anymore?

Agree. Gillet's defence has been terrible of late. He's offered very little in attack either. Hunt was terrible last game but he had a few mates with him. Give credit to Manly's defence in limiting Parker's ability to offload which is a big part of Brisbane's game. They didn't seem to have a plan B to counteract that with the amount of possession that they had.

Dazzat

First Grade
Gillett - coming to grips with post-Origin blues.

Totally don't agree about Hodges. He is still our most threatening 3/4, but he is currently over-cooking the dummy half running. He needs to be hitting the ball on the fringes more. Injury wise, he's had a very good year.

Bronco18

Juniors
I probably agree with Dazzat here. Hodges is still a damaging player, but the only ball he gets is from dummy half. In my opinion he showed his value in Origin where he has the players inside him to get the ball to him in some space.
This year we've had a 5/8th who couldn't pass, and now a Hunt/Barba combination that aren't quite gelling (yet). We can rarely put a sweep play from one side of the field to the other and get him one on one with a defender.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Gillett - coming to grips with post-Origin blues.

Totally don't agree about Hodges. He is still our most threatening 3/4, but he is currently over-cooking the dummy half running. He needs to be hitting the ball on the fringes more. Injury wise, he's had a very good year.

What Hodgo needs is quality ball especially from second phase play which is something we've lacked for a couple of seasons.

Watch out for Mitch Garbutt, this kid can play and I expect big things from him and will give our attack a new dimension on years to come.

Hopefully Ashley Taylor can have an injury free pre-season under his belt for next year, he will make a huge difference to our attack when he gets the chance.

Dazzat

First Grade
Garbutt will at least give us some size - something that Kennedy should have provided. But as we've seen, you need both size and heart and Kennedy thus far as only offered one-out-of-two.

Since 2014 is now gone, wonder if Griffin will think of the club's future and give someone like Molo a crack in the top grade. He's listed at 115 kg.

Bretto

Bench
Garbutt will at least give us some size - something that Kennedy should have provided. But as we've seen, you need both size and heart and Kennedy thus far as only offered one-out-of-two.

Since 2014 is now gone, wonder if Griffin will think of the club's future and give someone like Molo a crack in the top grade. He's listed at 115 kg.

Molo is a big boy, but he's out for the season with a shoulder injury.

Big Pete

Referee
Sounds like he won't be back until 2016.

Hodges should be retired by then, Gagai will take his spot and will form a combination with his cousin.

It'll be beautiful.

Nightward

Juniors
Pretty much. He has a bit of work to do with his depression as well, and there's no use in him rushing back to the game if it's going to cost him emotionally and psychologically in the long run any way.

Dazzat

First Grade
Pretty much. He has a bit of work to do with his depression as well, and there's no use in him rushing back to the game if it's going to cost him emotionally and psychologically in the long run any way.

You could be right. He may not be up to the competitive world that is professional sport, and may need to go and find a real job.

Until he's back on deck, one can be assured that all the speculation is merely that - speculation.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Hodges signed a two year contract this year, 2016 is his last year (if I recall correctly).

Also, Boyd rumours keep circulating: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-boyds-signature/story-fn2mcuj6-1227029830803

Does anyone here want Boyd?

Baffled by the clubs decision to extend him to 2016. He's hardly a 'star' anymore, qld dosen't even attack down his side. A few good dummy half runs a game and that's about it. Could fill that gap with McCullouch adding it to his game.

Leaving emotion out of it, Hodges should have been done after his FIRST achilles injury. Love the bloke and will always remember him as a legend for his work in 2006, but wining premierships is our business and business has not been good. We complain about a lack of speed and innovation in our back line, start with removing Hodges, that's the first step.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Baffled by the clubs decision to extend him to 2016. He's hardly a 'star' anymore, qld dosen't even attack down his side. A few good dummy half runs a game and that's about it. Could fill that gap with McCullouch adding it to his game.

Leaving emotion out of it, Hodges should have been done after his FIRST achilles injury. Love the bloke and will always remember him as a legend for his work in 2006, but wining premierships is our business and business has not been good. We complain about a lack of speed and innovation in our back line, start with removing Hodges, that's the first step.

Agree with this. I think this was a time that the Broncos needed to make one of those tough decisions...