What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Kiwi

First Grade
Because he plays for England. That and he's got nothing without the top 3. Aren't you paying attention?

Dude seriously WTF, you point out that they select Hoffman over Widdop for NZ, why make out like someone else said it. Are you paying attention to what you type? Your opinion of Widdop is fine, it's your opinion after all, the Hoffman NZ thing YOU started, WTF to that dude.

Morkel

Juniors
Dude seriously WTF, you point out that they select Hoffman over Widdop for NZ, why make out like someone else said it. Are you paying attention to what you type? Your opinion of Widdop is fine, it's your opinion after all, the Hoffman NZ thing YOU started, WTF to that dude.

It's clear that the subtlety of my post was a bit too hard for some here to understand, that's all.

The fact that people want to select a very limited player, who only has to perform a very narrow set of tasks at club level, and expect them to be better than what we already have, and better yet, throw a ton of cash at them, shows the comprehension level of a lot of people here.

Morkel

Juniors
That would of course be why they keep choosing Widdop over Hoffman at #1 in the NZ squad.

Should I elaborate for the kids here who are still doing year 10?

Someone said that Widdop would be a great fullback, then potentially move in to the halves. "That would of course be why they (as in, the posters here) keep choosing Widdop (as their intended recruitment target) over Hoffman (who's) at #1 in the NZ squad." As in, his versatility that he can play in the halves should win him a spot over out current NZ fullback, who himself can't even get the #1 jersey at our club. The fact that Widdop is an international means nothing to me, he's just like the majority of the 'assistant players' at the Storm, only has a narrow skillset and very defined role that is designed to advocate the strengths of the Big 3. We don't have a Big 3 here, so we don't have the luxury of being able to select limited players for limited assistant roles. Hoffman, for mine, will do the job well when Norman leaves.

Snappy

Coach
Too bad Hoffman wasnt up to the task when he had the fullback spot. Hoffman offers nothing in attack when playing fullback.

ggmu

Juniors
Should I elaborate for the kids here who are still doing year 10?

Someone said that Widdop would be a great fullback, then potentially move in to the halves. "That would of course be why they (as in, the posters here) keep choosing Widdop (as their intended recruitment target) over Hoffman (who's) at #1 in the NZ squad." As in, his versatility that he can play in the halves should win him a spot over out current NZ fullback, who himself can't even get the #1 jersey at our club. The fact that Widdop is an international means nothing to me, he's just like the majority of the 'assistant players' at the Storm, only has a narrow skillset and very defined role that is designed to advocate the strengths of the Big 3. We don't have a Big 3 here, so we don't have the luxury of being able to select limited players for limited assistant roles. Hoffman, for mine, will do the job well when Norman leaves.

Man I'm 25 and I can't figure out what ur saying. Did someone else say about him being in the NZ squad? Cause it looked like u brought that up lol. Having said that would take him as a replacement for Norman at the right price but he will be over paid because of the "big 3" making him look good.

unbreaK

Juniors
Man I'm 25 and I can't figure out what ur saying. Did someone else say about him being in the NZ squad? Cause it looked like u brought that up lol. Having said that would take him as a replacement for Norman at the right price but he will be over paid because of the "big 3" making him look good.

I understand what he's trying to get at, he's just done it in an extremely stupid way..

In a nutshell he's saying -

> Hoffman is the Fullback for New Zealand, but we're looking outside the club for a replacement to Corey Norman

> Widdop isn't playing Fullback for his current club / country and will be an average player without the big 3 supporting him

(I disagree, I think Widdop will be a more than worthy player if we bought him)

ggmu

Juniors
I understand what he's trying to get at, he's just done it in an extremely stupid way..

In a nutshell he's saying -

> Hoffman is the Fullback for New Zealand, but we're looking outside the club for a replacement to Corey Norman

> Widdop isn't playing Fullback for his current club / country and will be an average player without the big 3 supporting him

(I disagree, I think Widdop will be a more than worthy player if we bought him)

That's wat I thought lol ur right strange way to say it. I agree with u bout Widdop would be a great player at fullback. Could get involved the way Hunt used to and has the ball playing ability to do almost as good a job as he used to.

Bretto

Bench
Release Prince from his contract immediately and put Hunt in to Halfback and shift Wallace to Five Eigth.

Bretto

Bench
See my post in the vs Cowboys thread, basically what I said.

Just read it now. I can forgive one error of his for that nice pass to Maranta for the try in the corner. But the missed tackle on Linnet right near the end of the game that almost cost us the game, was unforgivable.

austyphoon

Juniors
Just read it now. I can forgive one error of his for that nice pass to Maranta for the try in the corner. But the missed tackle on Linnet right near the end of the game that almost cost us the game, was unforgivable.

That truly was won of his worse games ever. That tackle on Linnet was disgusting. He pretty much just let him go and waved him through!

Snappy

Coach
So did old mate the Widdop detractor see the Storm Rabbits game last night ? Quality performance from Gareth.

He's off contract, we have money to spend and need a quality half. There is many quality halves on the market, and we'd be crazy not to make a play for him.

Bretto

Bench
So did old mate the Widdop detractor see the Storm Rabbits game last night ? Quality performance from Gareth.

He's off contract, we have money to spend and need a quality half. There is many quality halves on the market, and we'd be crazy not to make a play for him.

He played well. Depends how much we'd have to pay for him IMO.

Morkel

Juniors

Saw it. He had a great game. So did Ben Roberts back in 2008. Widdop is also negotiating a contract and was up against the defensive line of Souths.

Widdop -------> Broncos?

Well Widdop's partner is from Melbourne and they've just had their second child, I doubt if she wants to move. Have Cronk instead, seriously, we'd still win the Premiership without him. Ben Hampton has been doing well apparently, and Slade Griffin can go to fulcrum and Smith to halfback if neccessary, and of course we still have Hinchcliffe who we can also put at fulcrum.

Big Pete

Referee
There's a rumour floating around BHQ that Caleb Timu is set to leave the club and go on his Mormon mission.

AceAv

Juniors
That truly was won of his worse games ever. That tackle on Linnet was disgusting. He pretty much just let him go and waved him through!

Lol just gave me a vision of Prince wearing one of those highlight orange jackets and traffic control lights waving players through as they approach hah! -Pretty much how I feel when I see them run his way...

The kids are still young and a 2 year contract at the right price may not be an issue for the Widdops... A long shot still..

Man how much did roosters buy Maloney for?! He has found some sick form latley. Spewin we missed out on him.

Kiwi

First Grade
The tackle miss was bad on Linnett, but how about the other players just standing around watching, why not bag them as well?

Last edited: