What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

u4er

Juniors
Sure ... you convinced me. However, I'm still not sure about the concept of playing No. 9s for 80 minutes when you have a nippy, impact type player like Granville who has shown he can make a difference when coming on.

This, combined with Hook's consistent practice of only using three off the bench. That doesn't make sense to me. Seems we are losing a lot of impact at the end of each half, and not making use of our bench wisely (either to win games or give up-and-comers a run).

I guess in Hooks mind he tried having a 60 minute hooker with a nippy backup (Macca/Hunt) and it didn't work. Granted that was a completely different set of circumstances, and I would probably prefer that to having a fresh set of legs sit on the bench all game, but if you have a hooker who can play 80mins,make 50 tackles and still give good service why waste an interchange? It's taken a few years for Macca to be able to play the full 80, now that he can I'd rather see the bench spot used on a forward or cover for our outside backs.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Nobody is a bigger Jake Granville fan than me but that has been a valid argument all this season. Unfortunately, Jake has ended up behind a hooker currently at the top of his game.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I guess in Hooks mind he tried having a 60 minute hooker with a nippy backup (Macca/Hunt) and it didn't work. Granted that was a completely different set of circumstances, and I would probably prefer that to having a fresh set of legs sit on the bench all game, but if you have a hooker who can play 80mins,make 50 tackles and still give good service why waste an interchange? It's taken a few years for Macca to be able to play the full 80, now that he can I'd rather see the bench spot used on a forward or cover for our outside backs.

I tend to disagree since in the couple of games Granville has had, when he has come on he has added another dimension to the Broncos game, and allows Macca a rest before coming back on for the end of the game.

Comparing to the Hunt situation I do not understand; Hunt is not a hooker and Granville is. Plus, Granville does also provide cover for outside backs as he has played fullback too.

All this though is rather moot, as if Granville had been playing all year on the bench he still would (and should) move to another club where he can get a starting role.

u4er

Juniors
IMHO having Granville come on for Macca is like having Segeyaro come on for Smith. I completely agree the Broncos seemed to step up a gear when Granville got minutes, but Griffin is a conservative style coach and having an impact hooker just doesn't suit his gameplan.

Dazzat

First Grade
IMHO having Granville come on for Macca is like having Segeyaro come on for Smith. I completely agree the Broncos seemed to step up a gear when Granville got minutes, but Griffin is a conservative style coach and having an impact hooker just doesn't suit his gameplan.

I wouldn't mind if in picking four forwards on the bench Griffin actually used them all - but on many occasions he doesn't. So the end result is a) going with no "impact" option on the bench b) wasting an opportunity to give a young player a run if the game allows c) boring predictable football.

Dazzat

First Grade
Read that the club is making a play for Trent Merrin as a long-term replacement for Corey Parker. A very similar player to Parker, who probably still has some improvement in him.

DeeJ

Bench
Why the hell would we go for Trent Merrin when we have a buttload of backrowers at the club and coming through. Alex Glenn will make a fine replacement for Parker in the workhorse role.

some11

Referee
It's not really 'more backrowers' as much as it is a like-for-like replacement for Parker.

Wont happen though.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Why the hell would we go for Trent Merrin when we have a buttload of backrowers at the club and coming through. Alex Glenn will make a fine replacement for Parker in the workhorse role.

I agree we have plenty of backrowers but Alex Glenn is nothing like Parker and would not be suited to the role of playing Lock.

Maybe Gillett when he learns to tackle properly...

Some people have talked about McGuire but then that leaves us even shorter up front...

We might have plenty of backrowers but I think people underestimate what a big loss Parker will be when he eventually retires.

In saying all that I still don't want Trent Merrin, yuck!

jakepearce94

Juniors
although he is a new south welshman, trent merrin could be a great acquisition. I don't know if you guys remember but Alex Glenn captained the under 20's playing lock, is a great tackler and can also hit the gaps. don't rule him out just yet as a Parker replacement.

Bretto

Bench
although he is a new south welshman, trent merrin could be a great acquisition. I don't know if you guys remember but Alex Glenn captained the under 20's playing lock, is a great tackler and can also hit the gaps. don't rule him out just yet as a Parker replacement.

Alex Glenn has the second highest missed tackle count for forwards, in the NRL and has had for the last 2 seasons.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, but he's certainly not a good tackler. IMO, he's lucky to be in the first grade side.

Kiwi

First Grade
Alex Glenn has the second highest missed tackle count for forwards, in the NRL and has had for the last 2 seasons.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, but he's certainly not a good tackler. IMO, he's lucky to be in the first grade side.

Glenn has had a high workload, he also covers outside backs quite well for a second rower, he may not complete the tackle but I have seen Glenn have enough of an impact outwide to stop breaks or halt them enough for more cover to come across and finish the job.

Dazzat

First Grade
I rate Parker in the top three forwards in the game. His influence in every game is profound and I don't think too many people doubt his departure will leave a huge hole.

Merrin is a very similar player - can bend the line and has an off-load. Any club in the league would want him in their ranks.

As far as Glenn goes - I think he's been trading off the fact he captained and played in Hook's Under 20 premiership winning team, and can do no wrong in the coach's eyes. Yes, he is a good player, but to me looks like he only does what's needed and no more. Glenn needs a good dose of angry pills.

Thaiday is 30 next year - so may only have two or three more years.

Paul Vaughan and Aiden Guerra are the pick of the rest of second rowers coming off contract.

gUt

Coach
Guerra would seem to be the ideal fit being a Qlder and all. What's Vaughan's allegiance?

oikee

Juniors
The Broncos need a new coach, being beaten by the wooden spooner sharks is the last straw.
Kennedy and Lowry huge mistakes.
Hearing about those betting scandal recently with players from a couple of clubs mentioned, only makes me thinks our win over Manly was a false dawn.
Glen wont ever replace Parker, Merrin might.
We never replaced Lockyer, i still think we should have Cherry Evans as first pick. Even if we have to wait another year, we wont be winning any finals before then.

This is the weakest Broncos team in the history of the club. Dont try to sugar coat it , and the coach is toast. Stop trying to rate him. I mean Kennedy and Lowry, ? Come on, the warriors were laughing when they heard we took Lowry off their hands, and the Roosters sucked us in a beauty, while they kept the young gun Napa.