What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bryce Gibbs insults Hannant

Eels Dude

Coach

If you think dedicating one's life to a particular faith (whether or not folks on here think it's lame or not) is the same as getting some juvenile tattoos on your arms (as opposed to Polynesians getting traditional Polynesian tattoos etc) then you're wrong.

Regardless, as has been stated, there are laws in this country relating to discrimination etc that do dictate what is and isn't important.

Agreed. For some tattoos aren't just a picture on the arm. I know people with tattoos that sybolise deceased loved ones, their family crests, cultural background. That's just as important to them as religion is to others. Yet if someone complains they were sledged about a tattoo it wouldn't be taken seriously at all.

I'll repost my above post for your benefit. Who's to know what a particular tattoo symbolises? For all you know Todd Carney or any other Australian born players tattoos are just as significant to them via cultural or family reasons as the Polynesians tattoos are to them. You shouldn't just assume they mean nothing or are 'juvenile' as you put it just because they look that way.

What you're basically saying it's ok to sledge players of European descent about their tattoos, but it's not not ok to sledge Polynesian players about theirs. You've really backed yourself into a corner here and contradicted yourself. Congratulations.

Shoulders Matai

Juniors
I think the NRL match review commitee have done the correct thing not charging Gibbs how i think a warning letter putting the bloke on notice that this sort of conduct isnt acceptable.

The tigers are one of my favourite teams to watch however they have an element in the side that i really find distasteful. Blokes like Gibbs and fulton are sleazy players and i believe the tigers are the side that tend to dive the most.

Hutchy86

Juniors
according to Weidler, Gibbs called him a "f*cking Mormon" and said his religion was a "f*cking joke". Allegedly, at the end of the game Hannant demanded an apology, and Gibbs responded with more insults.
Only a rung or 2 below racism, sexuality, mental illness and family imo

Eels Dude

Coach
On 7 News they interviewed Krisnan Inu who is also a mormon. He said he didn't think it was a big deal and if someone said something to him when he was on the field he wouldn't take it to heart. Shows what a sook Hannant is.

Hutchy86

Juniors
On 7 News they interviewed Krisnan Inu who is also a mormon. He said he didn't think it was a big deal and if someone said something to him when he was on the field he wouldn't take it to heart. Shows what a sook Hannant is.
it's pretty hard to empathise unless you a person of faith and you've been slandered?

I think the NRL match review commitee have done the correct thing not charging Gibbs how i think a warning letter putting the bloke on notice that this sort of conduct isnt acceptable.

The tigers are one of my favourite teams to watch however they have an element in the side that i really find distasteful. Blokes like Gibbs and fulton are sleazy players and i believe the tigers are the side that tend to dive the most.

:lol::lol::lol:

26-22?

Eels Dude

Coach
it's pretty hard to empathise unless you a person of faith and you've been slandered?

Read my previous posts in this thread, on this page and the last two, that explain my arguments and then come back to me. I'm not going to repeat myself. No-one has offered a valid response to my arguments yet, so if you can please do otherwise I'll just assume you nor anyone else has one.

Parra

Referee
Read my previous posts in this thread, on this page and the last two, that explain my arguments and then come back to me. I'm not going to repeat myself. No-one has offered a valid response to my arguments yet, so if you can please do otherwise I'll just assume you nor anyone else has one.

Maybe putting things in context will help you.

You tend to overreact when people do not agree with you.
Hannant tends to overreact when people sledge his religion.

To onlookers there is no difference.

In all honesty, I am not sure what you could say to someone to insult them in a "religious" way, I am not making light of this, but does anyone have any suggestions of what could have been said.

Eels Dude

Coach
Maybe putting things in context will help you.

You tend to overreact when people do not agree with you.
Hannant tends to overreact when people sledge his religion.

To onlookers there is no difference.

Yep, because the wording in my last post that you quoted was a complete over-reaction.... as opposed to a sincere and polite response?

If Hannant overreacts when people sledge his religion fair enough. My point is when ever someone objects to a sledge do we have to have an investigation?

Are we going to open a can of worms where if someone is offended by a sledge about the colour of their hair, their tattoo, their choice to be a vegan, then there is going to be an official investigation.

Either way I blame the media for making this too big a deal because Hannant obviously has stated he does not want to make anything of it, yet it's still making headlines two days later because it is a story. That would probably annoy Hannant a lot more than the initial sledge did.

Hutchy86

Juniors
to say someone's belief system - those practices and values around which their whole life revolves - is a "joke" (Bryce Gibbs, as cited by Danny Weidler) is too much. Religion embeds itself in every aspect of a person's day to day life. It's not about being overweight or having red hair, it's about life-long dedication.

I'm not religious in any way, shape or form, but I can definitely see a seriousness in the issue. Had someone slandered Hazem or Krisnan or Joe Galavao then we'd be speaking of this in a different light I'm sure.
To say that Hannant "over-reacted" is pretty ignorant, imo

Eels Dude

Coach
You sum it up well Hutchy. I understand religion is like that to those most dedicated. Yet no-one knows what other people get offended by unless they are the actual person. What may be offensive to one person will be water off a duck's back to another. Some are thick shelled. Others are easily offended. It depends. I think it's ridiculious that Andrew Symonds complains about being called a 'monkey'
when he's a natural sledger himself.

If sledging is not banned entirely, then this debate will continue. But you cannot draw a line in the sand and say this is acceptable and this isn't. You cannot determine what is a personal insult and what is one that is inpersonal. You cannot make rules to determine this as a non religious people can be just as sensitive in regards to other issues in comparison as religious people are to their beliefs.

Just putting another angle on this.

If Ben Hannant is going to get so offended by a sledge, regardless what it is about, do you think he has spoken to Michael Ennis to perhaps tone down his constant sledging, niggling and annoying turd like thuggish behaviour, no I do not think he has, because he knows what effect it has on the opposition. So in my opinion Hannant in a Moron and behaving very hypocritically.

And no I did not make a mistake with my spelling of the word Moron.

That is my opinion.

Bubbles

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:?

Has Ennis ever sledged someone over religion?

If not, I don't really see the relevance. And at least Ennis being a grub and sledger uses his brain somewhat, Gibbs simply doesn't have one.

:?

Has Ennis ever sledged someone over religion?

If not, I don't really see the relevance. And at least Ennis being a grub and sledger uses his brain somewhat, Gibbs simply doesn't have one.

Timmah,

Regardless of what the sledge is about, if you do not like copping it, how can you pack into a scrum next to the lowest grub to play the game, who does nothing but sledge, pester and be an absolute disgrace. that is why I think Hannant is being hypocritical.

There is no worse sledger/disgraceful player in the game than Ennis and Hannant happily plays along side him and watches him and hears him dish it out each week.

But when someone has a dig at Hannant and says who knows what. He blows up.

Do you get my drift??

A sledge is a sledge, if you let it get to you, you have lost.

In my opinion only "Family" is off limits when sledging.

Last edited: