What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bryce Gibbs insults Hannant

gronkathon

First Grade
Honest question.

What is more embarassing for the game.

The alleged incident?

or

The fact that the NRL is chasing something a player wants left alone and doing so in press statements?

Fibroman

First Grade
No chance of a charge, he can just say Hannant misheard "Moron".
That's fine if he just called him a mormon, but what if Gibbs called him a brown suit wearing, door knocking, leaflet handing out gimp?

Blind Freddy

Juniors
What if Hannant still believed in Santa Claus and Gibbs broke the news to him that he's a stupid fool for still believing. Would that still cause the same uproar? Because it's basically the same thing, just replace the word "santa claus" with the word "god". God is simply the adult version of Santa Claus anyway.

Last edited:

hrundi99

First Grade
It would get no air time anywhere else in the world. Nor would it merit a discussion on whether or not a religious sledge is acceptable.

I see it all the time on this forum, members crying about religion being a no-go area when sledging. It's absolute bullsh*t.

The respect Australia gives to religious people and religion itself is laughable.

If i was in the NRL I'd be sledging all the Muslims, Mormons, Christians, and whatever moronic religious beliefs the aboriginal players have, I'd sledge them about that.

If that did happen in the NRL, someone slamming aboriginal religious beliefs, or muslim beliefs, the media would kick up a sh*t-storm.

In advanced countries nobody bats an eyelid. I sledge Muslims all the time.

Bigot.

So you don't like religion? That's fine. Don't criticise people who do - they're mostly completely harmless. Show a bit of respect to your fellow human being.

Vic Mackey

Referee
religion is a choice, having a sook about it being sledged about it is ridiculous.

whats next, todd carney has a cry because on sunday dean young tells him his tattoos look stupid?

gronkathon

First Grade
He got fired up on the field and left it there.

My problem is not with Hannant now so much as the NRL and the double standards they have depending on your reputation and status in the game

hrundi99

First Grade
religion is a choice, having a sook about it being sledged about it is ridiculous.

whats next, todd carney has a cry because on sunday dean young tells him his tattoos look stupid?

That's just a completely ignorant comment.

You clearly have no idea what a committed person's religion means to them and their lives.

Just because you're not interested don't believe you know how others feel about it.

Apparently I missed the memo where everyone's now supposed to think that religion is lame.

I'm not particularly religious myself (though I do believe in God), lest you think I'm some kind of brain-washed Bible-basher.

Shorty

Staff member
Honest question.

What is more embarassing for the game.

The alleged incident?

or

The fact that the NRL is chasing something a player wants left alone and doing so in press statements?
Clearly you're after people saying the latter, but the NRL is doing the right thing.

Eels Dude

Coach
If you aren't religious you wouldn't know how offensive it is to be sledge
slegedd about it

Yeah, well guess what, nobody knows what offends another person unless they actually are that person so your argument is very narrow minded. A person with red hair may get offended if they're called a ranga when most of us see it as harmless. Maybe Preston Cambell gets offended if someone sledges him about being short, or Michael Weyman could get offended if someone sledges him about his lack of hair. To say non religious people have no right to comment on this issue is very stupid of you.

sharko

Juniors
Isn't Folau a Mormon..is that why Hannant wants to go back up to Brisbane...if I call Bhudda a fat f**k, does that make me a bad person?!

Vic Mackey

Referee
That's just a completely ignorant comment.

You clearly have no idea what a committed person's religion means to them and their lives.

Just because you're not interested don't believe you know how others feel about it.

QUOTE]

and maybe todd loves his tattoos in the same way ben loves god.

how dare you be so ignorant as to believe that religion is more important to someone then something else to another person.

what happens if hannant said bryce is ugly, fat or his mum is a great root. maybe they are equally, if not more sensative to gibbs.

where do you draw the line? why does religion get put on a pedestal?

hrundi99

First Grade

how dare you be so ignorant as to believe that religion is more important to someone then something else to another person.

what happens if hannant said bryce is ugly, fat or his mum is a great root. maybe they are equally, if not more sensative to gibbs.

where do you draw the line? why does religion get put on a pedestal?

You're not that naive, are you?

How about next year, you work on Christmas Day, Good Friday, etc...

You're right, it has no impact on broader culture at all...

Eels Dude

Coach

Agreed. For some tattoos aren't just a picture on the arm. I know people with tattoos that sybolise deceased loved ones, their family crests, cultural background. That's just as important to them as religion is to others. Yet if someone complains they were sledged about a tattoo it wouldn't be taken seriously at all.

Vic Mackey

Referee
You're not that naive, are you?

How about next year, you work on Christmas Day, Good Friday, etc...

You're right, it has no impact on broader culture at all...

but not every indiviudal

every person is different. so if someone isn't into religion then its open slather on them?

who are you to say what is and isn't important?

hrundi99

First Grade
but not every indiviudal

every person is different. so if someone isn't into religion then its open slather on them?

who are you to say what is and isn't important?

I never said that.

I'm saying to you that typically a person who is "officially" religious places their faith as central to who they are as a person, and typically because of the cultural significance it has for them and their families and friends, and the generations that have gone before them.

If you think dedicating one's life to a particular faith (whether or not folks on here think it's lame or not) is the same as getting some juvenile tattoos on your arms (as opposed to Polynesians getting traditional Polynesian tattoos etc) then you're wrong.

Regardless, as has been stated, there are laws in this country relating to discrimination etc that do dictate what is and isn't important.

Dazraider

Juniors
Gibbs always seems like a tosser but isnt these religous blokes suppose to forgive and fortget and not get upset over a persons veiw of them or others