What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buderus linked with return to Newcastle

rhino2009

Juniors
Has any official announcement been made yet that Buderus is returning to the Knights in 2012? Rhinos supporters are assuming he's returning but no comment has been made by the club or if we are getting a player in exchange.

voltron

Juniors
apparently it was announced by some dude at the leeds game last night
which led to a string of tweets like this
Kevin_Sinfield._normal.PNG

liv_rhinos_13 liv'sinfield'holmes @

@Simondent93 @Bedsy78. Yep, I agree with you.. Best oversea sign EVER! Never gunna forget yah.xo

15 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

IMG00068-20110122-1124_normal.jpg

Simondent93 Simon Dent @

@liv_rhinos_13 @bedsy78 my favourite player! Such a gentleman when I met him, really kind. Amazing player. Good luck Bedsy

15 hours ago http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#

DSC021701_normal.jpg

Adam_rhinos Adam Anderson

quite gutted that today was the last time we will see @bedsy78 grace the Headingley Carnegie pitch, going to be missed! #rugbyleague

15 hours ago http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#http://twitter.com/#

Kevin_Sinfield._normal.PNG

liv_rhinos_13 liv'sinfield'holmes

@Bedsy78. Why leave rhinos:'(, we need you, your amazing.. anyways good luck back at newcastle, leeds are going to miss you too much:(xoxo

15 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Leeds wanted Eddie as a player swap. Not in this lifetime folks. Apparently Mids said something very similar according to his grandad who i sit right in front of at the games.

Johns Magic

Referee
So if it's indeed true that we've wrapped up Bedsy and Cuthbertson, this could be our pack next year, even with Gidley not playing hooker:

8. Tui
9. Buderus
10. Snowden
11. Edwards
12. Zeb
13. Houston

14. Fa'aoso
15. Costigan (bench prop)
16. Cuthbo
17. Hilder

Noname36

First Grade
I'd go:

8. Snowden
9. Gids
10. Nev
11. House
12. Zeb
13. Edwards

14. Bedsy
15. Tui
16. Fass
17. Hilder

Might seem a little light on the bench with both Bedsy and Hilder, but that's Bennett's style, and I think Tui/Fass could provide more than enough prop impact. This is providing we don't get Cuthbo. If we do I agree with 9. Bedsy 14. Hilder, Cuthbo on the bench because I can't see any of our forwards who could be dropped.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah I'm just starting to lose hope of the Gidley to 9 dream...I guess it all depends on how much Wayne rates Stig, or whether he's considering throwing Roberts or even Pete in at 5/8.

Johns Magic

Referee
Well I think Cuthbertson is a better backrower than frontrower...but basically, given we have Zeb and House who will play 70+ minutes each, and then we have Edwards who I'm guessing will probably play 45ish minutes a game in the backrow, and on top of that we have Hilder who will most likely alternate between hooker and backrow, there is only really room for one of Cuthbertson or Costigan in the backrow rotation.

Personally, if it came down to a choice, I would prefer to see Cuthbo in the backrow and Costigan in the front-row.

And if that were the case, Snowden is obviously a certainty to start, and I think Tui would complement him well, and is more of a starter than a benchie. Then having good bench props who don't drop the intensity is a godsend, and he will no doubt get plenty of minutes...it would just be in the middle half of the game.

Costigan has played off the bench plenty over the years, and I think if the saints' pack had stayed fully fit last year he would have been a benchie all year(behind Weyman, Hunt, Smith, Creagh and Young/Scott).

I'm not really fussed on whether Tui or Costigan starts, but I think Tui did enough this season to hold that spot for Round 1 next year...and there's nothing wrong with having some serious respect coming off the bench.

I think the point is more that I hope Bennett uses Costigan as a prop next year.

Noname36

First Grade
Yeah I'm just starting to lose hope of the Gidley to 9 dream...I guess it all depends on how much Wayne rates Stig, or whether he's considering throwing Roberts or even Pete in at 5/8.

I could live with Gids at #7 providing all he was required to do was organise the troops and get the ball to Mullo. He doesn't have natural organisation skills, but he's always been the type of player that you could teach him how to do something at least adequately. We'd have to have the structures in place to help him for it to work of course.

I would prefer this than to have him at 5/8. I know that the 6 and 7 are basically interchangeable these days, but Bennett's sides generally seem to play a bit more traditional whereby the halfback and 5/8 generally link up and the 5/8 stands a bit wider to feed the outside backs. Gids generally has his brain explosions when he's trying to execute a play, but I think if he was to leave all that up to Mullo and just rally the troops (something Mullo can't do) then it may just work. Similar to the Hornby/Soward set up at Saints. I wouldn't allow him to kick at all, or try and throw those silly passes on the last that generally result in knock-ons. Whether Gids would stop overplaying his hand though I don't know. From what I've heard the coaching staff have been trying to put an end to it for a while.

Rod

Bench
1. Boyd

6. Mullen
7. Gidley

9. Buderus

Whether you like the idea of Gids at 7 or not, that spine is a reason to get excited :D.

Johns Magic

Referee
I think having Boyd at the back will really set Mullen alight...he just needs someone to give him a hand at the moment.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I could live with Gids at #7 providing all he was required to do was organise the troops and get the ball to Mullo. He doesn't have natural organisation skills, but he's always been the type of player that you could teach him how to do something at least adequately. We'd have to have the structures in place to help him for it to work of course.

I would prefer this than to have him at 5/8. I know that the 6 and 7 are basically interchangeable these days, but Bennett's sides generally seem to play a bit more traditional whereby the halfback and 5/8 generally link up and the 5/8 stands a bit wider to feed the outside backs. Gids generally has his brain explosions when he's trying to execute a play, but I think if he was to leave all that up to Mullo and just rally the troops (something Mullo can't do) then it may just work. Similar to the Hornby/Soward set up at Saints. I wouldn't allow him to kick at all, or try and throw those silly passes on the last that generally result in knock-ons. Whether Gids would stop overplaying his hand though I don't know. From what I've heard the coaching staff have been trying to put an end to it for a while.
This.

I think having Boyd at the back will really set Mullen alight...he just needs someone to give him a hand at the moment.
And, well, this.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yeah, Im starting to think Gids will be in the #7 jersey next year given we have now apparently all but signed Bedsy and retained Hilder earlier in the year.

We really are starting to look like the Dragons of the last few years

1. Boyd

6. Mullo/Soward - Young 5/8 with confidence issues who has plenty of talent and a good left boot

7. Gids/hornby - Solid long term clubman and former fullback who can slot in and do a job just about anywhere

9. Bedsy/Priddis - Old timer, former rep star, who still has plenty to offer in short stints

14. Hilder/Young - Utility backrower/hooker who can tackle all day.

perverse

Referee
i still feel Costigan will start in the second row. i have a feeling Tetevano may play a significant part in filling a spot in our prop rotation next year. Eddy could still find his way back there, too. still quietly confident that House, Costigan and Zeb will begin our pre-season as our starting second row. pre-season weirdness to take over from there.

Bennett would have a pretty good idea of who he wants to play where, but ultimately i wouldn't expect any genuine decisions of his to have been made yet. he should get the answers he needs to make such calls over our pre-season slogfest, though.

Last edited:
I never fully understood why Nev played primarily in backrow this season cos I believe he plays better when he is running straighter and defending tighter in the middle of the ruck. He proved that in 2010 when he was arguably the form prop of the competition in the second half of the season.