What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buderus

RABK

Referee
Quite a few actually do, i don't know if they'd take it as far as i do as to hope for my states sake that he suffers an injury heading into Origin though.

But plenty of Knights fans think he's garbage.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Quite a few actually do, i don't know if they'd take it as far as i do as to hope for my states sake that he suffers an injury heading into Origin though.

But plenty of Knights fans think he's garbage.

lol You are fairly alone in this opinion mate, at least in regard to club level.

Most Knights fans think he is useless in the halves, which is plainly true but he had been close to our best just about every game he played at FB and is worth some coin out of dummyhalf. He is a victim of his versatility and there are much better options than him for NSW, which is a shame because the bloke gives his all and deserves a series victory. I doubt we'll get one with him playing though

Dragon2010

First Grade
lol You are fairly alone in this opinion mate, at least in regard to club level.

Most Knights fans think he is useless in the halves, which is plainly true but he had been close to our best just about every game he played at FB and is worth some coin out of dummyhalf. He is a victim of his versatility and there are much better options than him for NSW, which is a shame because the bloke gives his all and deserves a series victory. I doubt we'll get one with him playing though

Gidley is a champion in the sense he always try's his heart out, wears it on his sleeve and his passion is undying. He will put 110% effort in till the 80th minute, he's a strong minded player. That's whatcOrigin players are built on. As you said Gidley is a victim of himself. He tries to hard at times rather then play his natural game. If he repeats his GameII performance he did last year this series he will be good and can be a grat asset to the team.

He needs the players around him for support though, they need to move and play with him and be there for the support and vice-versa. I think Bennett looked to have worked the brain explosions out of him and his defense has increased to. Gidley might not be the best but he's seriously not that bad.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I agree with you D2010 but he is the LU whipping boy so there is little point in trying to talk sense regarding him as the wowsers will still put up the same anti-Gidley posts, only less so if he has a good game.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
John Morris tries hard too but he isn't an automatic Origin selection.

Gidley is nothing more than a wholehearted yet very limited club level player. Should never have played Origin, let alone somehow get picked every year regardless of form or fitness.

RABK

Referee

Absolute rubbish. There was a thread started in our forum by GKD about a month ago where plenty of Knights fans expressed a dislike for Gidley and that they wish he was another clubs problem.

Gidley last had a MOTM performance for the Knights in 2008 so i don't know where the f**k you are getting the 'just about best' shit from. I agree he'd be decent as a club hooker - but he's played about 6 games of his club career there.

Fact is we've payed him 3 million dollars over the last 10 years and gotten about 1 million dollars worth (largely when he was in a purple patch 07-08 as a fullback)

I repeat - PLENTY of Knights fans think all things considered (He's our captain, been payed 400-450k, destroys our attack) - Gidley is garbage.

RABK

Referee
Also comparing Gidley to John Morris is harsh?

Well we know someone glued to knights games with his red and blue goggles firmly on.

Just so you know - Morris is currently playing better footy than Gidley has in over 3 years. He'd be a better choice for the NSW bench than auto selection Gidley. It's no huge rap on Morris - just shows how rubbish Gidley is.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Absolute rubbish. There was a thread started in our forum by GKD about a month ago where plenty of Knights fans expressed a dislike for Gidley and that they wish he was another clubs problem.

Gidley last had a MOTM performance for the Knights in 2008 so i don't know where the f**k you are getting the 'just about best' shit from. I agree he'd be decent as a club hooker - but he's played about 6 games of his club career there.

Fact is we've payed him 3 million dollars over the last 10 years and gotten about 1 million dollars worth (largely when he was in a purple patch 07-08 as a fullback)

I repeat - PLENTY of Knights fans think all things considered (He's our captain, been payed 400-450k, destroys our attack) - Gidley is garbage.

This thread here, the one where pretty much just you and Dean think he is all but useless lol

His best year was 2008 but to say he has been crap since then is silly champ. In '06-'10 he finished in the top 5 KOTWs in the Knights forum. Plenty of people have rated him highly over the years and its only started to drop off since he has been used in the halves more often than not.

Playing in the halves is where he is garbage mate but at FB he has been excellent

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
he's getting paid too much based on his '08 form. everyone including the fans, coaches, games adminstration, media and everyone else is very slow to react. fact is, Gidley is a very, very handy player to have at your club... but he was only a marquee player for a season, season and a half tops. the criticism for him comes because he IS over-rated... that isn't to say he doesn't have his functions, but he isn't amongst the elite of the game. not for any length of time - he's too erratic. having now seen Roberts have a crack in first grade, i now think Gidley is probably still our best option at half for now. i think he'd go quite well at hooker regardless of the team he's playing in. i wouldn't pick him for origin, but i think he's at the point now where he can add value from the bench and not be a liability at that level. it's not something i would be inclined to defend, though... i'm very much "take him or leave him" about Gidley at all levels at the moment.

Rod

Bench
To say he's rubbish at club level is ridiculous. Any club would take him if they could and find a place for him. If we are paying him $400k, then yeah that is overs, but from '07 till the present he has been pretty much our best player every year. I would suggest that he had a longer patch of great form than you suggest pervy, '07-'09 he was very very good for us at fullback. '08 he practically carried the team and you would have to be a blind Gidley-hater to remember it any other way. The first half of '09 he was just as good and that form led him to be picked as NSW fullback (in hindsight not the best move but he was the form fullback at the time, and leading the Dally M's after 10 rounds IIRC). Since then he has been not quite as good, but when he has been injured it is clear that we miss him.

Club talk aside, I can totally understand why people get frustrated when Sticky says things like him and Gallen are the only certainties for NSW. He IS overrated in that respect, even most die-hard Knights fans would admit that he shouldn't be an automatic start for NSW (and Australia when he's fit it seems). He probably hasn't earnt a NSW spot on form since '09. He is not a game breaker like Hayne or just a consistently great player like Gallen, so yes he should not be an automatic start.

That being said, I genuinely believe that his Origin career has not been as bad as people on here like to make out. Especially last year I think he was in his best position of coming off the bench with 15 minutes left in each half and just playing simple without trying too much. As pervy said, I can take him or leave him as far as Origin is concerned. If Gidley coming off the bench is the worst thing about the team when it is named in a couple of weeks time then I would consider that an improvement on past years.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
For 400-450k and as your captain Gidley would be rubbish at club level in any NRL side.

FMD some of you fellow Knights fans are as thick as a brick when it comes to Gidley. You've got NFI sometimes. Gidley is not a 180k bench utility - we are paying him huge dollars to touch the ball 100 times a game. It means all things considered he is, i'll refrain from using the word garbage, the most overpaid and overated NRL player by some huge margin.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
And using a line like 'every coach/club would take him - that means he's a gun" isn't logical.

That's the point - that coaches and the media severely overate him.

Take your Gidley love to the NRL forum and start a thread and see how far you get. Some people might find a spot for him in their club side as a bench utility for half the coin he'd demand. You get one person screaming for 450k Gidley anywhere in their side then quote me the post.

Rod

Bench
I assuming you're talking about my post.

Pretty much the first thing I said was that 400k was overs.

RABK

Referee
Well im calling Gidley rubbish considering he's been played 450k to touch the ball more times than Cooper Cronk does for the storm.

You said Gidley rubbish at club level claims were ridiculous. All things considered every fan knows that for what he gets paid what he serves up is rubbish. It's not 2008 anymore.

perverse

Referee
in the context of being a marquee player, he is rubbish, yeah.

in the context of just being a footballer, he's not half as bad as you're making out. he's not a marquee player, he's not a rep quality player, and we're paying him like one. it's frustrating... but he's a protected species, and i can't see it changing until he chooses to move on.

i generally reserve rubbish for players that actually are rubbish. the Dan Tolars, Antonio Kaufusis and Cameron Ciraldos of the rugby league world. now that is genuine rubbish in any context you care to put it in. if Gidley was on average wage, he'd be a useful contributor to our squad.