What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burt or Hayne

lingard

Coach
I`d like to apologise for that 'bi-polar, my arse' comment I made about Tim Smith. It`s very common for alcoholics to be mis-diagnosed with mental illness - especially bi-polar disorder - and they run with that and it stops them dealing with their real problem. Tim strikes me as one of those people. The reason I used to get so frustrated with him is that he had such immense talent in so many areas of the game. (I hardly remember a halfback with the passing skills that he displayed at times. Same thing with his kicking game (at times). And the fact that he was hyped as the next Peter Sterling so early in his career made us expect more of him too.)
I just could not fathom why he seemed to completely stop running. The tackling bit was okay; there`s a lot of halfbacks that are poor defenders; but when your halfback just refuses to take the line on - well, they`re doomed to failure eventually. I think Tim Smith reached his pinnacle in the game and just couldn`t take it any further. He had patches of extreme brilliance, but overall, I think he`ll go down in history as only a modestly good first grade half who had a pretty short career. (Possibly due to alcoholism).

parra pete

Referee
My favourite sledge of all time came from Andrew Johns to his heir apparent....

"Oh, so you're the new Sterlo"......a bloody classic. :lol:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
What do you think about Reddy as an option?

I think Reddy is solid, prob a better fullback then anything, however we need to feed the ball as much as we can Hayne as he's our best back, we need to protect our best asset.

Hayne was used terribly in 2008, he wasn't fed the ball at centre and our halves didn't create anything for him, so he was pretty much a shag on a rock in the centres, such a waste.

Eelementary

Post Whore
My favourite sledge of all time came from Andrew Johns to his heir apparent....

"Oh, so you're the new Sterlo"......a bloody classic. :lol:

It is a classic, but gee, Pete - you certainly portray yourself as having a really intense dislike of Tim sometimes.

parra pete

Referee
It is a classic, but gee, Pete - you certainly portray yourself as having a really intense dislike of Tim sometimes.

Really...I don't know him as a person..He's probably a good bloke..not too many of them aren't.
I speak of him only in regards to how I perceive him as a footballer with obligations to his team and Club...

parramaniac2516

Juniors
For me there was only really one game where hayne stood out at Fullback in 07 and that was against the Broncos despite that he used to skip and dance his way back on ball returns and his positional play is terrible and does not offer the support play Burt does.

Hayne's has had more stellar games on the wing then he has at fullback. I hope im wrong but i have not seen anything great from him at fullback and he is hopeless at reading what the opposition is doing in attack and looks like he is in LaLa land.

While Burt might get shrugged off when he defends he seems to be able to read the play better and is always pointing and yelling at players where to stand in the defensive line.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Really...I don't know him as a person..He's probably a good bloke..not too many of them aren't.
I speak of him only in regards to how I perceive him as a footballer with obligations to his team and Club...

Don't get me wrong - I can see, given how harsh the media latched onto him at times, how you could see him like that. I remember being very annoyed when Eels officials had to go down to the Tollgate to pick him up when he swore he'd behave. I was irate.

But you seldom give him kudos, which is fair enough. But intriguing, is all.

Eelementary

Post Whore
For me there was only really one game where hayne stood out at Fullback in 07 and that was against the Broncos despite that he used to skip and dance his way back on ball returns and his positional play is terrible and does not offer the support play Burt does.

Hayne's has had more stellar games on the wing then he has at fullback. I hope im wrong but i have not seen anything great from him at fullback and he is hopeless at reading what the opposition is doing in attack and looks like he is in LaLa land.

While Burt might get shrugged off when he defends he seems to be able to read the play better and is always pointing and yelling at players where to stand in the defensive line.

Watching the replay of our 2008 Round 14 clash against the Tigers today made me realise that yes - he isn't perfect but he does offer a lot more than what people argue.

Same goes with Hindy - he was running the ball very well.

Latest posts