What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burt or Hayne

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Burt is a great clubman and a player that wont let you down, whatever position he plays he will do a solid job. Hayne is a freak, some of the stuff he done in 2007 at fullback when burt got injured were amazing, even the games he played at fullback last year were top games. Hayne should be our fullback

Burt will play good against mediocre sides but when it comes t crunch like a semi or a game against a very good Bulldogs side or anyone in general he looks so outta place and is generally very poor, his play reminds me so much from the Brian Smith era, chokes in high pressure games and makes embarrising mistakes.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I believe that Burt is getting a bad wrap , mainly because of last years performance,which I dont think anyone can totally blame on him. The majority of the team performed badly for most of the season and Burt can not be blamed for the whole teams performance. After reading all the opinions I think I will wait until we have played some games to see which one I believe will do the best for the team. The reason I asked the question to start with is I believe they both have the ability to do a great job for the team, although both are very different players to start with.

No, Burt has struggled in firsts since the time he made his debut.

strider

Post Whore
Burt has been in and OUT of first grade for ten years now, Hayne is entering his 4th season and is already an SOO representative and has scored some of the most memorable individual trys in first grade and SOO history.

Tim Smiths grubbers have gone, as well as Burts form ( well the only form he has ever had wasin 2007, the other years he struggled to remain in firsts) coincidence?
I actually see that as a little problem with Hayne - he seems to be a bit to keen to do it on his own at times - maybe backs himself a bit much ...... kinda good he has confidence - but he needs to improve his team game .... but he's young so hopefully it'll come with time

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I think it's funny that everyone wants Hayne - who said "Gimme, gimme or I leave" - as opposed to Burt - who takes paycuts to stay at the Club he loves.

With that kind of attitude our Club will lose its heart before we know it.

boo bloody hoo

The reason why he took a pay cut was because the cub offered to make up the difference the next time of negotiations, and i still think Luke would still be on very good money here, i doubt anyother club would offer him anything over $90,000.

lingard

Coach
Burt has been in and OUT of first grade for ten years now, Hayne is entering his 4th season and is already an SOO representative and has scored some of the most memorable individual trys in first grade and SOO history.

Tim Smiths grubbers have gone, as well as Burts form ( well the only form he has ever had wasin 2007, the other years he struggled to remain in firsts) coincidence?

I agree. Burt is really not dynamic enough; not strong enough, and it`s true - he only seems to shine when the team is going forward strongly. But I don`t like Hayne either. I don`t think he played as well as Burt at the end of 2007, and he was sh*t-house all last year. I reckon Reddy would be better than both of them. Then you could put Hayne back on the wing where he can really shine, and, well, maybe Burt`s had his day?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I actually see that as a little problem with Hayne - he seems to be a bit to keen to do it on his own at times - maybe backs himself a bit much ...... kinda good he has confidence - but he needs to improve his team game .... but he's young so hopefully it'll come with time

His try against Brisbane in 2007 and SOO try could have only been scored by individual brillance, it wasn't really a scenario like he had options inside and out and just took it himself, he created those chance.

He has already come good, just that tard Hagan brought down the whole bloody side into a pit.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I agree. Burt is really not dynamic enough; not strong enough, and it`s true - he only seems to shine when the team is going forward strongly. But I don`t like Hayne either. I don`t think he played as well as Burt at the end of 2007, and he was sh*t-house all last year. I reckon Reddy would be better than both of them. Then you could put Hayne back on the wing where he can really shine, and, well, maybe Burt`s had his day?

I disagree, Haynes form at fullback in 2007 was sensational, he was the talk of the league and his semi games against Canterbury and Melbourne as well club games against Brisbane have not been seen since the great Scott Mahon of 93 ;).

Burt just has pace? and good support play, that's about it, however in defense he's a speed hump, his runs from the back (well his crabbing anyway) generally results in us runing out of own 20. He lacks confidence in catching bombs and in 2008 probably set a record for the most amount of times a FB has left the ball to bounce from a bomb in a year, pathetic!!.

When Parra sides are going well he plays well, just like in 2005 and for half a year in 2001, but when things go sour he's not the type of player you look too to get you out of trouble, Hayne is.

strider

Post Whore
His try against Brisbane in 2007 and SOO try could have only been scored by individual brillance, it wasn't really a scenario like he had options inside and out and just took it himself, he created those chance.

He has already come good, just that tard Hagan brought down the whole bloody side into a pit.
thats cool - i don't doubt he can do great stuff - that makes him a great player ..... but at times, he goes alone a bit too much when he could be looking to set up another teammate

lingard

Coach
I disagree, Haynes form at fullback in 2007 was sensational, he was the talk of the league and his semi games against Canterbury and Melbourne as well club games against Brisbane have not been seen since the great Scott Mahon of 93 ;).

Burt just has pace? and good support play, that's about it, however in defense he's a speed hump, his runs from the back (well his crabbing anyway) generally results in us runing out of own 20. He lacks confidence in catching bombs and in 2008 probably set a record for the most amount of times a FB has left the ball to bounce from a bomb in a year, pathetic!!.

When Parra sides are going well he plays well, just like in 2005 and for half a year in 2001, but when things go sour he's not the type of player you look too to get you out of trouble, Hayne is.

I really hope you`re right, but I just don`t think he has enough of a 'football brain' to make it as a fullback. I`d rather see Reddy. He`s steady and he`s honest and he`d be really solid at the back. Maybe Anderson can steady Hayne down a bit. I hope so.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
thats cool - i don't doubt he can do great stuff - that makes him a great player ..... but at times, he goes alone a bit too much when he could be looking to set up another teammate

we need the hardly boys to investigate this!!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I really hope you`re right, but I just don`t think he has enough of a 'football brain' to make it as a fullback. I`d rather see Reddy. He`s steady and he`s honest and he`d be really solid at the back. Maybe Anderson can steady Hayne down a bit. I hope so.

I think he was abit immature last year year, but i think the world cup was a turning point for him, he made some great moments happen and was inspirationl for his side.

Reddy is not the answer, yes i prefer him over Burt but he just doesn't have the natural skill we need chiming into the backline, i think wing should be his spot, he was certainly on of our better players last year.

Hanscholo

Bench
lol @ 5/8 calls.

He might do well at fullback if he pays attention and trains hard there. Playing 5/8 is a push, sure he is good up the middle of the ruck, but he can do that from wing or fullback. You really want this guy putting on plays?

Burt has been a fantastic player for parra, with a number of very strong seasons. He had some injuries, had a few off games, but hey when your entire side is playing like sh*t why not just blame one person.

BRAD BELLICK

Juniors
Can any of u Burt fans tell me when he has ever had a good game in a late finals series match? With 11 years of first grade and about 8 years of finals footy behind him, u'd hopefully think of one..I can't! Finals footy is different to regular season footy. Alot tougher, kick returns are more important, less penalties..less opportunities inside the opponents 20metre area. All of these spell bad news for the great clubman. Who unless we're running roughshod over an opponent will go into his shell.

The best thing about Burts game is he kicks goals after we score a try and poses for photos after games.

Last edited: