What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bye bye balmain and magpies

would u rather 1 team in the lower grades anyway

• yes- with open arms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes- but only just

• no- but only just

• no- ill have nothing to do with the team(this 1 is for tigger)

• Total voters

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Yappy and Gobbso: Just so its clear there are plenty of us at Balmain who would fight to the bitter end and oppose any such merger of the lower grades. As far as I am aware there is no move on from within Balmain for such a merger.
Yes to extending the JV.
No to a merger in any other grade - not now, not ever.

tigger

Juniors
yappy said:
Like I said, you can all have a lie down - it isn't going to happen.

I think the fumes from the sewerage treatment plant that is the McArthur area have effected your thinking skills.....

I take offence to your notion that the Balmain members are just bending over and waiting for the board to give us what they want. Unfortunately for the board we are the ones that get the vote, not these fairies who would know how to run a fish & chip shop let alone a football club.

Balmain will stand proud, tall & alone once more.

yappy

Bench
I take offence

Oh good. Mission accomplished then. :lol:

I'm sure plenty of Balmain members would fight it mate, but it isn't even going to get that far. There's no point Balmain's board putting it to the members (and I am reliably informed that they want to merge - bad), if West's board put the kybosh on it (which they have - yet again). What would you vote on? To merge with someone who is not even considering the possibility? Maybe they'll try and merge Balmain's Premiers with Norths? :roll:

Bald Tiger

Juniors
OK so lets kill this off once and for all. Balmain are not PL pro-merger.
And its not just me and Tigger.
I emailed the CEO of Balmain. Asked is the merger of PL sides on the agenda of the AGM and the reply was:
As it is not happening, not on agenda.

Yappy: where do you get this nonsense that Balmain Board want to merge - bad.
Fact is we dont want to merge with anybody - Wests or Norths thank-you very much.[/b]

yappy

Bench
OK Bald in the interest of killing this silly thing off once an for all, I'll retract any statement or insinuation that the Balmain board or management want to merge the lower grades. That means neither side wants to merge, therefore as I have said all along - it ain't gonna happen. That should be plenty for everyone.

tigger

Juniors
Yappy - I take offence to you not taking offence to my offensive post, you Westerners are just to calm........ must have something to do with the clean country air out there :D

In all honesty i would like Balmain to pull out of the JV and for us just to play in Premier League & the junior competitions for the time being. The JV is a drain of precious funds that give us no return. You may say that we will then in turn lose all of our juniors as they have no where to go in our system, but that is happening at both Balmain & Western Suburbs anyway, thanks mainly to previous stupidity of the JV management.....

B_Tiger

Juniors
Gobbso said:
Mighty Tiger said:
Also if the JV is exteneded as it has been proposed it will only be a matter of time before the lower grades are combined together!

Which will consequently lead to the self destruction of the Joint-Venture. The Magpies will not budge. Yappy has drilled into you people (who are as thick as bricks and must have trouble taking information in and understanding it), Western Suburbs want to preserve their name in Rugby League.

If the Joint-Venture license is extended (which i believe it will be), and if their is a push from the Wests Tigers club for both Balmain and Western Suburbs to join forcers in the lower grades, the sh*t is seriously going to hit the fan. "It takes two to tango" so to speak and if one party doesn't want engage in a Joint-Venture while the other does it is really going to make life hard for the Joint-Venture club, as internal bickering and infighting will see it brought to its knee's.

gobbs, it wasn't so long ago that you were for the merger of lower grades, so it's obvious opinions can change, quickly.

Also, you don't really know anything about the mood of the Balmain tigers board or members as you have no association to it so what position are you in to make such comments?

I can only speak for balmain, because I am a Balmain member, you bloody westies take it upon yourselves to judge what balmain's opinion is without any evidence.

My point is that it is only a matter of time before our respective boards and members stop caring about lower grades because they don't show up. It's that simple. We are a minority who attend first division and we need to change that before we can feel secure. Both you and yappy put far too much faith in your board, surely you both realise how little you can accept what the board says it believes in, given recent history. We need to make it impossible for them to merge lower grades before we can start saying it won't happen. The diehards is a good initiative but it needs to encourage members to attend matches with possibly a publication, getogethers and things like that (if these things are done then well done!). I heard you have over 150 members? So these are people who obviously care about the magpies, get them to matches. If they stop attending matches then your membership will steadily drop as people will become disconnected from lower grades.

yappy

Bench
B, your points about disconnection, and not sitting back and trusting the board to forever protect us are well made. We are obviously aware of the truth of this, and are working away little by little. No one is more aware of the need to keep at it constantly than us. It's why the Diehards (tired of waiting for the club to help out) bought their own bus to take magpie fans to away games. Yes it's only a twelve seater, and yes I have to stay sober (at least until we get back to the City Hotel), but it just goes to show what a few people who won't take no for an answer can achieve. There is far more to come too. It's incremental, but you gotta start somewhere. The important thing is we're heading in the right direction.

B_Tiger

Juniors
yappy said:
B, your points about disconnection, and not sitting back and trusting the board to forever protect us are well made. We are obviously aware of the truth of this, and are working away little by little. No one is more aware of the need to keep at it constantly than us. It's why the Diehards (tired of waiting for the club to help out) bought their own bus to take magpie fans to away games. Yes it's only a twelve seater, and yes I have to stay sober (at least until we get back to the City Hotel), but it just goes to show what a few people who won't take no for an answer can achieve. There is far more to come too. It's incremental, but you gotta start somewhere. The important thing is we're heading in the right direction.

excellent! You should also ask people who are members but do not attend matches why they don't attend. Make sure it isn't criticial and that they give a truthful answer rather then someone's wedding or some crap like that. If there is a trend in why people don't attend (and I'm sure there is) then you can find out how to solve it.

I think the biggest problem is that there is absolutely no hype or discussion of first division anywhere outside of the match so there is no "did you see the match on the weekend?" sort of thing going on to make people interested in attending. That is why get togethers are important, it would allow for discussion of matches and as such it would be necessary to attend first division so as to enter into such discussions. First division can be a difficult thing to get into but if there is a community in which to allow for such involvement then there is more likelyhood of a person coming back. You have a good guide to how better to get people to matches with your membership numbers, ask 'em what they'd like to improve.

magpiemax

Juniors
B_Tiger said:
magpiemax said:
for as long as there is posts like this doing the rounds,the wests tigers will never be a fully united team

why does everyone bring up unity? who cares if we aren't unified? and what the hell would that achieve if we were? I won't ever love campbelltown and I will always hate the magpie on the sleeve of a tigers jersey. Just as other people will love campbelltown and the bird. It really doesn't matter if we agree or not, the main thing is supporting the club. Does anyone really expect balmain fans to accept travelling to campbelltown as they would going to leichhardt? No, there will always be resentment there and nothing will change that, ever.
question:how many people do you know who are in business resent each other and are highly successfull??? p.s...... if you meet one let me know.

Gobbso

Juniors
B_Tiger said:
gobbs, it wasn't so long ago that you were for the merger of lower grades, so it's obvious opinions can change, quickly.

In the middle of 2001, yes i did believe a lower grade merger was for the best, but since that time, i have weighed up the pro's and con's of joining the two clubs in the lower grades and now and have for some time now believe that Western Subrusbs tanding alone in the lower grades is the right move. Why should both clubs have to sacrifice their identities once more and face oblivion to make a Joint-Venture work? Its working now isn't it? Is there any evidence to suggest in won't work in 2 or 5 years time? No there's not. As a Magpie fan who supports the Joint-Venture due to Western Suburbs being apart of it, i believe that the preservation of the Magpies is essential for the fans, the club and Rugby League in general.

I do however, agree with your statement about questioning the football club member's support for the club, in regards to Stand Alone premier leagues matches. I myself, did n't make it it too as many as i would have liked, but did attend as many as i could, as well as watching the Magpies go round before 1st Grade on Wests Tigers game days. Greater emphasis should be placed upon football club members to attend games.

King Tigerman

Juniors
& how do we do that gobbs , i wouldnt mind paying an extra $5 in football club membership in order to get free entry to all stand alone reserves games , also let season ticket holders in for free thats an extra 500 through the gate

if that doesnt work have balmain reserves play stand alone home games at millner field

mc5

Juniors
There is another aspect to this whole issue which is being missed.

Many of the NRL clubs ( St George, Canterbury, Parramatta, Easts ) want to do away with a premier league side and have instead a national version of Jersey Flegg which would be the game before first grade NRL. When this happens each NRL side will be invited to field a u20 side meaning a combined Wests Tigers. Premier League ( or those teams left ) will be joined with the Jim Bean Cup teams.

Gobbso

Juniors
King Tigerman said:
& how do we do that gobbs , i wouldnt mind paying an extra $5 in football club membership in order to get free entry to all stand alone reserves games , also let season ticket holders in for free thats an extra 500 through the gate

if that doesnt work have balmain reserves play stand alone home games at millner field

King stop being such a tight arse and just pay the $10 to go watch Premier League for crying out loud! :lol:

B_Tiger

Juniors
king, I don't think $5 has ever stopped anyone from attending first division. Besides, I'm sure if you rock up and say, I got no cash, they'll let you in for free. God damn king, $5!

B_Tiger

Juniors
Gobbso said:
B_Tiger said:

In the middle of 2001, yes i did believe a lower grade merger was for the best, but since that time, i have weighed up the pro's and con's of joining the two clubs in the lower grades and now and have for some time now believe that Western Subrusbs tanding alone in the lower grades is the right move. Why should both clubs have to sacrifice their identities once more and face oblivion to make a Joint-Venture work? Its working now isn't it? Is there any evidence to suggest in won't work in 2 or 5 years time? No there's not. As a Magpie fan who supports the Joint-Venture due to Western Suburbs being apart of it, i believe that the preservation of the Magpies is essential for the fans, the club and Rugby League in general.

I do however, agree with your statement about questioning the football club member's support for the club, in regards to Stand Alone premier leagues matches. I myself, did n't make it it too as many as i would have liked, but did attend as many as i could, as well as watching the Magpies go round before 1st Grade on Wests Tigers game days. Greater emphasis should be placed upon football club members to attend games.

mate, i wasn't questioning your passion for the magpies or anything like that. but when a majority opinion is for something it can sway's people's opinion, no matter how passionate they may be. So we have to make sure we have reasons to keep the clubs seperate.

King Tigerman

Juniors
B_Tiger said:
king, I don't think $5 has ever stopped anyone from attending first division. Besides, I'm sure if you rock up and say, I got no cash, they'll let you in for free. God damn king, $5!

but sometimes location does i dont live in drummoyne any more also i usually have other things on

Latest posts