What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cam Smith

mattyg

Bench
Stranger said:
From the interviews Ive seen he does seem to have the personality of a wall doesn't he?

your just upset he has by far taken over Buderus as the premier hooker in the game ;-)

Eels Dude

Coach
Johns Magic said:
Are you impying that Melbourne are a one man team?

They've got the most star-studded line-up in the competition.

I'm not implying anything of the sort. Cameron Smith is a huge part of their side and deserves a lot of credit for their premiership victory though. To say he's made to look better by the fact Melbourne are such a good side is unfair in my opinion.

Apey

Staff member
mattyg said:
your just upset he has by far taken over Buderus as the premier hooker in the game ;-)

Yes because that has to do with Smith's personality. That's it, you've hit the nail on the head.

Johns Magic

Referee
Eels Dude said:
I'm not implying anything of the sort. Cameron Smith is a huge part of their side and deserves a lot of credit for their premiership victory though. To say he's made to look better by the fact Melbourne are such a good side is unfair in my opinion.

Inevitably he's going to look better in a winning team than in a losing team, that's undeniable. You've only got to look at the masses of players that have been picked in rep sides after winning the premiership, only to see them slip back into obscurity as their club slides down the ladder.

After the Panthers won the premiership, players like Rooney, Lewis, Wesser, Clinton, Gulavao, Waterhouse etc. were playing Origin and international. None of them get near rep jerseys anymore, and all are relatively young still.

Look I'm not trying to knock Smith, he's a fantastic player(and certainly not in the same category as the aforementioned). But I'm looking forward to the day that he's part of a struggling team and doesn't have the luxury of 10 other international players, 4 Origin players and three Country players in his side. Those figures weren't made up.

Come that day, if he doesn't perform as well as he has been recently, will he get called "old" and "past it"? Will people be calling for him to hand over his rep spot to a young hooker in a successful side?

Eels Dude

Coach
Well I think Smith's got that longevity factor about him. He's not the flashy instinctive hooker like Farah or Wing may be, he's smarter and more controlled. He's got that strong structure to his game which is why he's so consistent. The fact he's performed so well for QLD and Australia shows he's up to that next level. Smith may well fade out in a couple of years time, but given what he's done in a short time frame so far, I see no reason to think why that may be the case.

bula_stormer

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
Inevitably he's going to look better in a winning team than in a losing team, that's undeniable. You've only got to look at the masses of players that have been picked in rep sides after winning the premiership, only to see them slip back into obscurity as their club slides down the ladder.

After the Panthers won the premiership, players like Rooney, Lewis, Wesser, Clinton, Gulavao, Waterhouse etc. were playing Origin and international. None of them get near rep jerseys anymore, and all are relatively young still.

Look I'm not trying to knock Smith, he's a fantastic player(and certainly not in the same category as the aforementioned). But I'm looking forward to the day that he's part of a struggling team and doesn't have the luxury of 10 other international players, 4 Origin players and three Country players in his side. Those figures weren't made up.

Come that day, if he doesn't perform as well as he has been recently, will he get called "old" and "past it"? Will people be calling for him to hand over his rep spot to a young hooker in a successful side?

Thats how it works! Smith is the best hooker in the game so rightfully so he should be hooker of the best international team in the world.

Billythekid

First Grade
Johns Magic said:

Perhaps it's Smith making a lot of these other storm players look good? Anyhow i think you'll be waiting a while to see Cam Smith playing in a struggling team.

Cameron Smith is better than a 29 year old Buderus big deal i don't see why that's something to get worked up about, there was always gonna be a day when someone replaced him. The same thing will happen to Smith, hell with Farah going great guns it could happen sooner rather than later.

effnic

Bench
Dani said:
Cam's got a baby on the way!
40 hours of labour on the way for the chin alone. I hope when the kid is 5 and playing footy he gets knocked out and all the other kids stand over him and laugh, it isnt much different for what he has done.