What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith’s stunning call for NRL to return Melbourne’s stripped titles

SharkShocked

Bench
First expanded finals now this, must be a cunning NRL plan to distract from de Belin/Walker/etc by creating some “safe”
controversies to fill the column inches and talkback airtime...

Not sure about Cam's one, but the finals crap is 100% distraction bullshit

franklin2323

Immortal
Has an amount the Sharts cheated by been stated? I haven’t seen or heard it, but as far as how serious it was, Cameron isn’t wrong.

Cronulla cheated as far back as 2013, so 5 years. It was systematic like the Storm. They set up a private company to cover up bogus 3rd party payments ffs.

How they got away with only a $350,000/year for 2 years fine is a joke. Barry Russell could have been hired just to be a scapegoat.

Then the argument should be Why wasn't Sharks punished more? We need more punishments like the Storm got. ATM cheat and own it and you get hit with a feather

nick87

Coach
Pretty spot on IMO.
I wouldnt reinstate their premierships but certainly i think there is a case to be made that if the Storm were (rightly) stripped of their premierships, due to systematic salary cap cheating, then any and all the other clubs who won titles in similar circumstances should also have theirs stripped.

Then the argument should be Why wasn't Sharks punished more? We need more punishments like the Storm got. ATM cheat and own it and you get hit with a feather
Agree mate.

Any breach of any amount should be automatic strip of titles and loss of points in that year plus start 10-12 points behind in the next year.

Oh and if you self report and own it, you should be kicked out or sent to Perth.

Pretty spot on IMO.
I wouldnt reinstate their premierships but certainly i think there is a case to be made that if the Storm were (rightly) stripped of their premierships, due to systematic salary cap cheating, then any and all the other clubs who won titles in similar circumstances should also have theirs stripped.
Agree, even if they were not over the Cap.

some11

Referee
Pretty spot on IMO.
Sharkies beat Melbourne, I'd say we can let it slide.

Exsilium

First Grade
I can see Cameron Smiths point, both instances were labelled by the game as being "systematic breaches". Even if the way in which they cooked the books was different, the result is still the same, your team gained an advantage by cheating the cap. Seems pretty straight forward.

Generalzod

Immortal
Didn’t realise that the Grand final loss of 2016 has cut him real deep, Imagine comparing our breach to the Storms it’s a no contest

siv

First Grade
Melbourne still proudly display their two premierships replica trophies at AAMI park

But like others have said there is no word on the amount of salary cap breach other than "minor"

But a points penalty at a minimum should have been imposed if it was a real breach

Timbo

Staff member
Someone pointed this out on Reddit, I think it's worth sharing here.

Lets re-visit one of the greatest dog acts in NRL history: Danny Williams king hit on Mark O'Neill:

Smith was only about 40 games into his career at this point, it was only his second full season. What do you hear over the ref's microphone when O'Neill is lying on the ground and the remaining twelve Tigers players are trying to get to Williams to kill him?

Smith - "What about the tackle before that!"

The sooner this scumbag retires the happier I'll be.

grouch

First Grade
This guy was the captain of the Australian Kangaroos. It's like Steve Smith coming out saying he should never have been punished

franklin2323

Immortal
Agree mate.

Any breach of any amount should be automatic strip of titles and loss of points in that year plus start 10-12 points behind in the next year.

Oh and if you self report and own it, you should be kicked out or sent to Perth.

Have they said how much the breach was?

Doesn’t the Cap reduction usually represent the amount of the breach?

From the presser, I took it as minor breach / breaches 2013-15 which isn’t that uncommon for clubs. 2016 there may be unreported TPA/s however their amount insignificant and even added to the value of the player payments, remained below the salary Cap.

They said this undisclosed money ramped up in 2017 which is the main issue here from what I read into it.

From memory they said the business opened up for TPA,s by a director, was a clear indication of an intention, not that it was definitely used.

Anyway, if anyone else knows for sure, I’m happy to be corrected.

Generalzod

Immortal
Doesn’t the Cap reduction usually represent the amount of the breach?

From the presser, I took it as minor breach / breaches 2013-15 which isn’t that uncommon for clubs. 2016 there may be unreported TPA/s however their amount insignificant and even added to the value of the player payments, remained below the salary Cap.

They said this undisclosed money ramped up in 2017 which is the main issue here from what I read into it.

From memory they said the business opened up for TPA,s by a director, was a clear indication of an intention, not that it was definitely used.

Anyway, if anyone else knows for sure, I’m happy to be corrected.
Don't worry Millers every Cronulla Shark hating person in these forums would know lol

myrrh ken

First Grade
Someone pointed this out on Reddit, I think it's worth sharing here.

Lets re-visit one of the greatest dog acts in NRL history: Danny Williams king hit on Mark O'Neill:

Smith was only about 40 games into his career at this point, it was only his second full season. What do you hear over the ref's microphone when O'Neill is lying on the ground and the remaining twelve Tigers players are trying to get to Williams to kill him?

Smith - "What about the tackle before that!"

The sooner this scumbag retires the happier I'll be.

Badgering the ref when someone is lying down injured? Sounds familar.