What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith

What will happen to Cam Smith?

• Charged - found guilty at judiciary and misses 1 or 2 matches

Votes: 131 61.8%
  • Charged - found guilty but downgraded, misses 0 matches

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Charged - found innocent

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Not Charged

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

RainMan

Juniors
Smith looked like he was trying to rip his head off.

It is the second grab around Thaidays neck that will be Smith's undoing.

I originally thought that nothing would happen but if Smith had of let him go after his first attempt, he would have got away with it.

IMO Smith would not have been cited except for the fact he stopped, proped himself then reapplied force to the neck and pushed Thaiday backwards. It is the second effort that is the main problem here. Stick integrity or accident defense it was the second effort and that makes it deliberate

Loudstrat

Coach
Nathan Gibbs diagnosed Joey's punctured lung in '97, from Manly's dressing room!

Former Eel ppft! He might have worn the mighty blue and gold, but he was never worthy!

magic1132

Juniors
Firstly the tackle was horrible and the suggested penalty is fully deserved. I don’t believe however that this is a test case for the judiciary to eradicate grapple tackles from the game. Players will still wrestle and grab around the neck and head, this case will not stop that as by itself it is pretty damning whereas the traditional grapple is harder to see with the video evidence.

There is still a chance that he will get off, not because of his profile but because the Storm are desperate and will pull out all stops. Here’s how I think the Storm will play it. Jeremy Smith will cop the early plea and sit out. They will defend Cameron Smith with the defence that the already declared chicken wing tackle caused the incident. They will use the player in motion technique, similar to defences of a few years ago when a defender went low and the attacker then fell over and was hit in the head by the player coming over the top. The argument there was if the player hadn’t been tackled low then he would have been upright at the time of contact with the second defender. They will try something similar here and argue that if J Smith hadn’t been using an illegal technique and pulling in the opposite direction then C Smiths’ tackle wouldn’t have had the same effect. The second effort by C Smith will be hard part to defend, it will be interesting to see how the judiciary rules.

Shorty

Staff member
Cameron Smith deserved to be sat down for the season. That "tackle" was nothing but attacking the head of an opponent.

I personally don't care if he doesn't make the WC team either - there are adequate other hookers around to take his place that don't need that as part of their game.

C'mon judiciary, take a stand and lay the platform for some more skilful footy next season!
Exactly.
Hopefully he doesn't get off.
I'm sure it'd be heart breaking for him to miss a GF or last game but if this happens then maybe he and coaches that teach such aggressive and violent techniques will learn.

Shorty

Staff member
Firstly the tackle was horrible and the suggested penalty is fully deserved. I don’t believe however that this is a test case for the judiciary to eradicate grapple tackles from the game. Players will still wrestle and grab around the neck and head, this case will not stop that as by itself it is pretty damning whereas the traditional grapple is harder to see with the video evidence.

There is still a chance that he will get off, not because of his profile but because the Storm are desperate and will pull out all stops. Here’s how I think the Storm will play it. Jeremy Smith will cop the early plea and sit out. They will defend Cameron Smith with the defence that the already declared chicken wing tackle caused the incident. They will use the player in motion technique, similar to defences of a few years ago when a defender went low and the attacker then fell over and was hit in the head by the player coming over the top. The argument there was if the player hadn’t been tackled low then he would have been upright at the time of contact with the second defender. They will try something similar here and argue that if J Smith hadn’t been using an illegal technique and pulling in the opposite direction then C Smiths’ tackle wouldn’t have had the same effect. The second effort by C Smith will be hard part to defend, it will be interesting to see how the judiciary rules.
But even with that defence,Smith still goes in for Thaiday's head and neck area when his torso is wide open.
One could even argue had Smith gone for the torso with his shoulders, Thaiday would have been on the ground on his back a lot easier and quicker...
That's why if(read:when) he gets off that I'd love to see the defence.
I don't think you can justify going for the neck and head area and reefing it backward for anything...especially in a tackle where someone else is already charged.

magic1132

Juniors
But even with that defence,Smith still goes in for Thaiday's head and neck area when his torso is wide open.
One could even argue had Smith gone for the torso with his shoulders, Thaiday would have been on the ground on his back a lot easier and quicker...
That's why if(read:when) he gets off that I'd love to see the defence.
I don't think you can justify going for the neck and head area and reefing it backward for anything...especially in a tackle where someone else is already charged.

I agree, but the intitial contact by was him reaching around the chest and trying to force him back. His hand slipped up a moment later and he went on with the tackle regardless. Yes he should have driven in with his shoulder but that would open up a 'prowler tackle' charge. He should be suspended for the tackle, but as I said the Storm are desperate and will try anything.

JJ

Immortal
i can't believe benny eliass comments down the bottom.

what an absolute fool

No question he's the village idiot, he proves it reliably.

If this wasn't Cameron Smith, there would be no discussion, if he gets off it's because of who he is, and that would be farcical - although, it's not like it would be the first or last farcical decision - although I am a kiwi, the McKinnon decision was an absolute joke, if he actually did spit at the touchie, then the suspension was a joke

StormChaser

First Grade
Exactly.
Hopefully he doesn't get off.
I'm sure it'd be heart breaking for him to miss a GF or last game but if this happens then maybe he and coaches that teach such aggressive and violent techniques will learn.

Zomg! Footy thats violent and aggressive? God forbid! :sarcasm:

DJShaksta

First Grade
Zomg! Footy thats violent and aggressive? God forbid! :sarcasm:

God forbid a player cited for an illegal tackle where he attacked a players head and neck!!

He should be suspended for 2 weeks MINIMUM.
Anyone defending this clown needs to question their own intelligence.

StormChaser

First Grade
God forbid a player cited for an illegal tackle where he attacked a players head and neck!!

He should be suspended for 2 weeks MINIMUM.
Anyone defending this clown needs to question their own intelligence.

The only time I question my intelligence is when I come here and mix it with you nuff nuffs.

DJShaksta

First Grade
The only time I question my intelligence is when I come here and mix it with you nuff nuffs.

Blind Freddy knows it was a bad tackle, and that he deserves a stint on the sidelines to learn from it.
Cameron Smith knows it was a bad tackle and that he deserves to sit down for a few weeks.

All this crap from past players saying he doesn't deserve to miss the finals BS. He did the crime, he can do the f**king time.

JJ

Immortal
Blind Freddy knows it was a bad tackle, and that he deserves a stint on the sidelines to learn from it.
Cameron Smith knows it was a bad tackle and that he deserves to sit down for a few weeks.

All this crap from past players saying he doesn't deserve to miss the finals BS. He did the crime, he can do the f**king time.

funny thing is he pleaded guitly to a similar charge earlier in the year, now that will come back to haunt him...
IIRC he didn't even get charged on the Cayless one last year