What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Melbourne Seriously Be Stopped in 2012?

Shorty

Staff member
Meh, they've got 2006 written all over them.
But they'll get tested by a couple of hot form teams in the finals and more than likely not make it to the GF.

wibble

Bench
*Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough*

You happy that they snuck home vs a team outside the 8 and struggling for consistency, on an intercept from a rocks and diamonds play that could have given the Warriors the game?

Sure the storm are looking certs for the top 4, but still don't look unbeatable. On current form I'd back the Dogs or Souths against them, and at the end of the year there will be a number of teams in form.

KennyatWembley

Juniors
doubt it

It was all a bit too much for them last year with the pressure of the year before hanging over them. They are deadset certs this year without that pressure.

DIMEAST

Juniors
The Storm are honestly next level this year! Even when it seems like they're under the pump they just weather it so well then punish you when given the chance. They have superstar players, slick set plays, great coaching, always keep composed and patient - deserve short odds for the premiership. I guess a positive out of the game is seeing the continued development of our own young up and coming superstars like Johnson and Hurrell. Johnson's cut out pass for Manu's try was insane and Hurrell is like another Jonah Lomu. Matulino has been awesome. Warriors are slipping down the ladder a bit now and I don't wanna start planning for next year yet but Luck, Friend and Locke can't come back soon enough. Good win by Storm!

LESStar58

Referee
You happy that they snuck home vs a team outside the 8 and struggling for consistency, on an intercept from a rocks and diamonds play that could have given the Warriors the game?

Are you fair dinkum? They did not "sneak home". From Lowe's try onwards they had the ascendency in all areas. As soon as a few penalties went against them and Mannering started sooking to the refs, the touchies and any one else who might give a f**k, the Warriors spiralled out of control and Melbourne just got a roll on over the top of them. The Warriors has more ball in the first half, made more metres and constructed more second phas posession than were capable of. Warriors in Auckland is not money for jam by any means. A truely great team makes something out of nothing and Melbourne did that off the back off f**k all posession and terrible field position in the first half.

While I'm not ready to suggest Melbourn'es name be put on the trophy already it was by far and away their best win this year. To come from 12-nil down and keep the Warriors scoreless is a gargantuan effort! Warriors let themselves down with some errors but they are always thretaned Melbourne and were right in it until Vatuvei screwed the pooch.

joshie

Live Update Team
This is screaming 2007 all over again. In 2006 we had a great year, fell short and in 2007 ran out and came on every mother f**king team.

This year we are ready to explode all over the comp again.

Great analogy? I think yes.

Evenflow

Bench
Are you fair dinkum? They did not "sneak home". From Lowe's try onwards they had the ascendency in all areas. As soon as a few penalties went against them and Mannering started sooking to the refs, the touchies and any one else who might give a f**k, the Warriors spiralled out of control and Melbourne just got a roll on over the top of them. The Warriors has more ball in the first half, made more metres and constructed more second phas posession than were capable of. Warriors in Auckland is not money for jam by any means. A truely great team makes something out of nothing and Melbourne did that off the back off f**k all posession and terrible field position in the first half.

While I'm not ready to suggest Melbourn'es name be put on the trophy already it was by far and away their best win this year. To come from 12-nil down and keep the Warriors scoreless is a gargantuan effort! Warriors let themselves down with some errors but they are always thretaned Melbourne and were right in it until Vatuvei screwed the pooch.

Spot on. While i totally agree we're far from over the line in winning the comp and i honestly believe there's at least 5 genuine chances it, would take either the biggest Storm hater (of which there are many) or someone who knows f**k all about the game (of which there are just as many around here) to talk down that effort today. Especially as you mentioned after being 12-0 down on the toughest road trip in the game. Best win of the year for our boys by far and was very happy to take the points.

blaza88z

Coach
556800_10150835362023045_744908044_9802963_20544.jpg

Lowdown

Juniors
Storm were getting done over by Warriors slowing down the ruck and the refs making some typical home town calls.

Thank god common sense prevailed in Lowe's try. Deadest I thought the video ref was having a laugh by ignoring the camera angle that showed the try preferring to focus on the angle that was inconclusive.

On top of that - Cronks inside pass to Slater was beautiful and should have been a try. A good tough game but Storm should have won by much more than they did.

Storm muscled up today and that is rare against the Warriors...a bloody good win.

Good to see the likes of Lowe stepping up...

Ryles has been impressive this year, big bugger with a good offload...I reckon he should go around again next year.

wibble

Bench
Spot on. While i totally agree we're far from over the line in winning the comp and i honestly believe there's at least 5 genuine chances it, would take either the biggest Storm hater (of which there are many) or someone who knows f**k all about the game (of which there are just as many around here) to talk down that effort today. Especially as you mentioned after being 12-0 down on the toughest road trip in the game. Best win of the year for our boys by far and was very happy to take the points.

What parts of "snuck home", given the Warriors were in it until the last intercept, and Warriors being "out of the 8" and having an "inconsistent" season were untrue?

Warriors are fine, on their day, and Melbourne coming back from 12 down shows toughness. The possession was 50/50, and nearly all stats were pretty even. Warriors had terrible luck with injuries as well.

Any win in the NRL is good, on the road even more so. During Origin, Storm should be happy with any points. Though the Warriors are hardly the toughest road trip, and this was hardly Melbourne's best effort (beating 2nd place by 24 was pretty good, smashing Cowboys away was good). But yes, it was a fine effort and shows they are ticking along nicely. Hardly shows them being unbeatable, which is why Epileptic Shocker keeps bumping this thread.

Storm still 6 clear of 2nd, and 8 clear of 3rd/4th depending on Monday game. Even if they win only half their remaining games (which is very unlikely, given they've lost 1 so far, just, on goal kicking, to a team running 3rd at the time), they will make the top 4 now. This means they are genuinely one of the 4 main contenders already. Their worry is that they may lose momentum and still make the top 4 and face teams on the way up. But I doubt they will stumble much.

Three other teams will make the top 4 and will be in good form having done so (barring injuries, which could as easily derail Melbourne as any team). Any number of teams look good at the moment. I'm just suggesting that beating the Warriors is hardly cause for ordering the trophy cabinet right now.

LESStar58

Referee
I'm just suggesting that beating the Warriors is hardly cause for ordering the trophy cabinet right now.

Ordering a trophy cabinet? We have one; it has a premiership trophy, A J.J Giltinain Shield, a World Club Challenge Trophy, a Club Championship Trophy and a wooden spoon in it... oh, and a Southern States Cup. ;-)

Evenflow

Bench
I'm just suggesting that beating the Warriors is hardly cause for ordering the trophy cabinet right now.

Who said it was cause to order the trophy cabinet even though we already have one? He bumps this thread after every win so it's hardly just because we beat the Warriors. As I mentioned in my original post, I genuinely believe there's still at least 5 real chances to win this thing and there's a very long way to go where anything can happen.

That said while you clearly weren't overly impressed by today's effort there were plenty of Storm fans that were and even some opposition fans that thought it was ok. Does that mean we think we've got the title in the bag? Of course bloody not because the vast majority of us don't pin our title hopes on one win unlike you who obviously does given it's the only game you've commented on and forgotten about the other 11 played. It's the season so far as a whole that would put us as one of the serious contenders, not just today.