What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RL survive in australia without sydney?

well?

i like expansion but seeing so many fans of non sydney teams arguing for less, my question is should be keep carrying these expansion teams?

indeed if we reverted to a sydney competition with teams in newcastle, central coast and wollongong would it be much different to today.

joshreading

Staff member
well?

i like expansion but seeing so many fans of non sydney teams arguing for less, my question is should be keep carrying these expansion teams?

Wow - lets think - NZ provides HUGE amount of talent atleast in part due to the Warriors presence, QLD Teams have the highest Attendance and Melbourne Ensures some national coverage which ensure large sponsors such as Telstra.

I think the question needs to be should the rest of the nation ''carry these Sydney teams?" Now this may surprise you but to some degree yes they should HOWEVER they should NOT stop expansion to other areas such as Perth etc.

Would RL survive without Sydney? Yes Thrive - probably not. Would RL survive without the rest of the teams? Yes Thrive - Probably not

The real question going around is can we afford to cut teams from Sydney to allow for easier expansion? I think there are two sides to that - no we can't cut teams at present and yes expansion must STILL happen. If that means we move to 18 teams or 20 with a lower cap but central contracts for the top then so be it.

bobmar28

Bench
What we have at the moment is an extended Sydney suburban competition and what we need imo is a truly national competition with less Sydney teams and more expansion teams.

That is less, not none as your thread title implies.

Parra

Referee
Cut the NRL down to 3-4 Sydney teams and watch the NSWRL comp in Sydney become a stronger comp than the NRL.

Not a bad idea at all.

Wow - lets think - NZ provides HUGE amount of talent atleast in part due to the Warriors presence, QLD Teams have the highest Attendance and Melbourne Ensures some national coverage which ensure large sponsors such as Telstra.

I think the question needs to be should the rest of the nation ''carry these Sydney teams?" Now this may surprise you but to some degree yes they should HOWEVER they should NOT stop expansion to other areas such as Perth etc.

Would RL survive without Sydney? Yes Thrive - probably not. Would RL survive without the rest of the teams? Yes Thrive - Probably not

The real question going around is can we afford to cut teams from Sydney to allow for easier expansion? I think there are two sides to that - no we can't cut teams at present and yes expansion must STILL happen. If that means we move to 18 teams or 20 with a lower cap but central contracts for the top then so be it.

we dont need expansion teams to survive, they need us to survive though.

if fans of expansion teams want less sydney clubs, my response is go and form your own competition and see how long it last and if anyone will pay for it.

a sydney centric comp with newcastle and wollongong would be very, very strong.

but sydney fans were more than happy to see our competition expand.

its a shame that once we let in clubs from other areas, fans from outside sydney were so greatful they wanted our clubs to leave.

What we have at the moment is an extended Sydney suburban competition and what we need imo is a truly national competition with less Sydney teams and more expansion teams.

That is less, not none as your thread title implies.

well all the expansion teams can just go and form a competition and well see how long it lasts.

what made RL great in australia are clubs with rich heritage and tradition. saint george, souths and easts originally, then parramatta, manly and canterbury.

balmain and wests as well i suppose.

some of that history was lost by forced mergers due to expansion teams trying to set up their own competiton and failing.

id much prefer to see RL restored to its former glory in sydney than seeing the game suffering in sydney because of expansion teams.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The real reason clubs merged was basically the NRL only had X amount of dollars and only wanted X amount of teams. It was business, pure and simple cost cutting at the expense of tradition, supporters passion and the basic fabric of the game.

For example a club like Balmain given the current climate, salary cap, maximising attendances, also their new leagues club venture and getting a private backer involved as Souths and Manly have done there is no reason why they couldn't be a huge asset in today's game.

I'll have to agree with Dallymessenger.

People are pretty much forgetting history. Such as, drop South Sydney and Easts to put in a team from Adelaide and Perth, to lessen down Sydney and make this a national competition.

Yup, amazing. Drop two teams that have had an amazingly proud 101-year long history, to enter two teams who, ten years ago could barely win, just to make our competition more national?

Chapsta

Juniors
well?

indeed if we reverted to a sydney competition with teams in newcastle, central coast and wollongong would it be much different to today.

Who is suggesting having a League comp' with no Sydney teams? Nobody, that's who.

Can Rugby League survive with less Sydney clubs?

I'll have to agree with Dallymessenger.

People are pretty much forgetting history. Such as, drop South Sydney and Easts to put in a team from Adelaide and Perth, to lessen down Sydney and make this a national competition.

Yup, amazing. Drop two teams that have had an amazingly proud 101-year long history, to enter two teams who, ten years ago could barely win, just to make our competition more national?

well said.

The real reason clubs merged was basically the NRL only had X amount of dollars and only wanted X amount of teams. It was business, pure and simple cost cutting at the expense of tradition, supporters passion and the basic fabric of the game.

For example a club like Balmain given the current climate, salary cap, maximising attendances, also their new leagues club venture and getting a private backer involved as Souths and Manly have done there is no reason why they couldn't be a huge asset in today's game.

the wrong clubs merged or were kicked out.

saints merged, west and balmain merged, norths and souths out.

yet cronulla make it stand alone?

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
well?

Begrudgingly I would keep Brisbane and North Queensland, but Melbourne is dead weight.

The warriors should be punted because they suck. Kill off Cronulla and create the central coast bears.

Let Canterbury play their games out of Long Bay, will raise the tone of their support base.

Vossy

Bench
Begrudgingly I would keep Brisbane and North Queensland, but Melbourne is dead weight.

The warriors should be punted because they suck. Kill off Cronulla and create the central coast bears.

Let Canterbury play their games out of Long Bay, will raise the tone of their support base.

phil gould is that you..watch out for the cement truck..

All the fans of Sydney clubs who are sh*t scared of losing their club will say we need them all simply because they are sh*t scared the ones that will go are theirs. The people who have no agenda and no bias will admit there are clearly too many clubs in Sydney for the game to expand. Expansion is vital but can't happen when we're spending over $26 million a year just on Sydney via club grants and that's not including SGI, especially when we MUST find more money for things like grassroots footy, salary cap increases and international footy. It's pretty simple.

at
we dont need expansion teams to survive, they need us to survive though.

if fans of expansion teams want less sydney clubs, my response is go and form your own competition and see how long it last and if anyone will pay for it.

a sydney centric comp with newcastle and wollongong would be very, very strong.

but sydney fans were more than happy to see our competition expand.

its a shame that once we let in clubs from other areas, fans from outside sydney were so greatful they wanted our clubs to leave.

what do you do in your spare time? wage mock battles in your back yard?

You have delusions of grandeur, and may well be skitzo to the core, perhaps you are in your late teens, thats when skitzo's emerge.

and really, who gives a rats....they are not against each other, and any discussion on this is useless. sydney does need less teams, but big deal, life moves on, and things improve....and you can not tell anyone that a single city comp is better than a national comp.

you're a joke.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's inevitable, just a question of how long. Sydney seemingly CAN NOT continue to support so many clubs. it could when clubs had 20% of their incomes from pokies but that cash cow is drying up quick and there simply isn't enough people interested in watching RL live in Sydney for clubs to get their incomes up to those of non Sydney teams. We will soon have two comps anyway with most of the Sydney clubs struggling on 12mill income whilst a couple of Sydney teams and the rest are spenidng upto 20mill. When i heard some Sydney clubs where looking at playing home games in Brisbane the writing was on the wall!

the sydney clubs made RL great here.

we carried expansion teams even when they set up a rival competition.

we would be perfectly fine without any of those expansion clubs.

so if fans of those clubs want less sydney clubs, my solution is fine, have none and set up your own competition.

when that fails well take you back like we always do cause we want to see RL succeed.

but hopefully after TWO failed attempts at setting up a rival competition you will have learnt the lesson

Perth Red

Post Whore
Evreything in the PAST tense Dally. It's the future of RL we need to look to. I know its the centenary year but nostalgia doesn't pay the bills.

There is plenty of room in the NSWRL cup for those NRL clubs that can't cut the mustard and at the moment the NSWRL had better get ready to expand by a few teams!