What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RL survive in australia without sydney?

The garbage that continaually spews out of here is ridiculous - RL MADE SYDNEY TEAMS GREAT - NOT Vice Versa.

I actually said RL would survive without expansion BUT IT WON"T THRIVE!!! That is a fact, without increased TV Money, Sydney People (WHO ARE NOT THE SAME PEOPLE THAT SUPPORT the SAINTS IN THE 50's) will slowly move to other pursuits because their kids will increasingly play other sports. Their imaginations will be captured by stages that are bigger than South V Rabbitohs.

Expansion nationally and Internationally is a need, we don't have the advantage of a 'nationalistic identity' for RL even though it is rooted in our history. This is a globalism issue and no amount of bra burning will change the fact that world is becoming increasingly connected and global in every pursuit.

I have not said to cut teams but to ignore places such as Perth, 2nd NZ and SQ is to our peril. It is arrogance and ignorance that says that history will pay the bills. Can someone please get the CEO of Glebe for me? In our history was the Line out, the maul, 15 men aside but we have changed. History is important, but your sydney teams history should not get in the road of the development of a new history in Perth.

It frankly is OPPOSED to EVERYTHING RL is, to refuse the opportunity to expand and innovate. Such attitude and action is more akin to the traditional union ranks.

so why werent other areas that had RL as successful.

we are the heartland.

if expansion means losing sydney clubs for a new team in perth or adelaide, then i say, stuff that.

i dont know WTF youve been smoking but if saints fans in the 50s arent sydney siders, what are they?

saints and souths are the 2 most famous RL clubs in australia. they helped forge the sport into what it it today. easts, parra, manly, dogs, wests and balmain all played a big role in that too.

The Sydney clubs were the one who voted to allow new teams to come into the comp in thef first place,ie Cronulla,Penrith,Canberra,Newcastle,Illawarra,Warriors,Nth Queensland,Gold Coast,Crushers.

The Sydney clubs were the one who voted to allow new teams to come into the comp in thef first place,ie Cronulla,Penrith,Canberra,Newcastle,Illawarra,Warriors,Nth Queensland,Gold Coast,Crushers.

and how did the broncos, perth, warriors and cowboys repay us??

set up a rival competition.

so if perth doesnt have a team now, i say sucked in.

and not only has perth already cost us some teams already, people are saying it should cost another club to move there.

f**k that.

who cares about a bunch of AFL fans anyway

barney gumble

Juniors
I'm old enough to remember the pure sydney based competition that was the best rugby league in the world, it was tribal, hard and passionate.

All you arseholes wanted in on this comp. and as soon as you were invited in you wanted to take over and kick sydney based teams out.
What a joke. Without the sydney based teams there would be no rugby league.

Parra

Referee
Sydney is also the capital of TV in this country.

Every other market could disappear - but Sydney would still be viable.

The reverse is not true. Take out Sydney and TV is not viable in Australia.

I'm old enough to remember the pure sydney based competition that was the best rugby league in the world, it was tribal, hard and passionate.

All you arseholes wanted in on this comp. and as soon as you were invited in you wanted to take over and kick sydney based teams out.
What a joke. Without the sydney based teams there would be no rugby league.

Absolutely.They were INVITED by the other clubs to play in the competition.

simmo1

First Grade
and not only has perth already cost us some teams already, people are saying it should cost another club to move there.

f**k that.

who cares about a bunch of AFL fans anyway

Where is the real Dally and what have you done with him?

I cringe every time I hear idiots like Geyer claim that we should add teams in Adelaide, Perth and the Central Coast and then cut the comp down to 12 teams. What its essentially saying is we need to boot half the competition. Utter bullsh*t.

Sydney is also the capital of TV in this country.

Every other market could disappear - but Sydney would still be viable.

The reverse is not true. Take out Sydney and TV is not viable in Australia.

what you say misses it all. you have it wrong.

Onto Dally

IF the comp was without sydney, what would happen atm?

ALL the players would end up playing OUT OF SYDNEY! Have you really thought about it all? It would be a reverse of the old situation.

Sydney clubs have no money. Do you think sydney alone is going to net a big tv deal? And even if it netter a fairly large one, so what?

Those clubs are going to need sponsorships, and national ones, not bobs hardware down the road at cronulla.

Sydney comp would shrink in money and players would leave for the more national comp.

Dally - YOU CRAZY!

Can rl survive with people like dally supporting it?

Where is the real Dally and what have you done with him?

I cringe every time I hear idiots like Geyer claim that we should add teams in Adelaide, Perth and the Central Coast and then cut the comp down to 12 teams. What its essentially saying is we need to boot half the competition. Utter bullsh*t.

when youve grown up watching the sydney based nswrl add teams from canberra and illawarra, then brisbane and gold coast, then finally the other 4 you know who made the nrl what it is.

then when you saw the expansion club set up SL and watching it die in the arse you know where the power, money and heartland is. it runs from the northern beaches to the southern suburbs of cronulla, and out to the foot of the mountains.

Onto Dally

ALL the players would end up playing OUT OF SYDNEY! Have you really thought about it all? It would be a reverse of the old situation.

Sydney clubs have no money. Do you think sydney alone is going to net a big tv deal? And even if it netter a fairly large one, so what?

Those clubs are going to need sponsorships, and national ones, not bobs hardware down the road at cronulla.

Sydney comp would shrink in money and players would leave for the more national comp.

Dally - YOU CRAZY!

its the wealthiest city. it has the most valuable ads on TV. the most TV viewers. the most RL sponsors.

we could survive without the rest (newcastle and illawarra) included, the rest could not survive without us.

what SL showed was the game cant do without the sydney clubs for its prosperity

Onto Dally

Dally - YOU CRAZY!

If insanity happened and the NRL did not involve Sydney, you'll find a lot of the sponsors involved would jump onto another code. They won't stay without Sydney. Bugger who's playing where. If the biggest TV audience isn't seeing my brand, why would I continue to sponsor the game? So both comps would suffer.

bobmar28

Bench
thats my point though.

i just frustrated that people havent learnt from the SL war.

the game has been f**ked once already, we are now back on our feet again.

and now people want the whole thing to happen again?

im all for expansion, but not at the cost of sydney teams.

some fans of expansion teams sound like they are eager for sydney teams to fail so others can cash in

thats a pathetic attitude.

i dont want to see any RL club fail, even the roosters :lol:

I wouldn't like to see any Sydney team fail but I want to see a truly national competition, not the extended Sydney suburban competition we now have. That means less Sydney teams and that frees up franchises for expansion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The cake is only so big. If someone new wants a slice there are only 3 options:

1. A thinner slice for everyone else (not going to happen as Sydney clubs are already on the bones of their ar5es)
2. A larger cake (not going to happen as our media deals are ltd due to conflicts of interest and our corporate sponsorship deals are ltd by not being a national sport)
3. Someone gives up their slice

Personally I don't really care that much anymore. This year has been a major fu#$ up for the sport and I'm just hoping the WC adds some positive energy back into the game.

If the Reds get in the NRL I'll watch them, if they stay in the JB cup I'll watch them there and if they give it up I'll go back to wtaching Nth Beach. One thing though my Fox subscription is getting cancelled at the end of the WC.

adamkungl

Immortal

1. A thinner slice for everyone else (not going to happen as Sydney clubs are already on the bones of their ar5es)
2. A larger cake (not going to happen as our media deals are ltd due to conflicts of interest and our corporate sponsorship deals are ltd by not being a national sport)

Personally I don't really care that much anymore. This year has been a major fu#$ up for the sport and I'm just hoping the WC adds some positive energy back into the game.

If the Reds get in the NRL I'll watch them, if they stay in the JB cup I'll watch them there and if they give it up I'll go back to wtaching Nth Beach. One thing though my Fox subscription is getting cancelled at the end of the WC.

Larger cake is the only sensible option. The majority of clubs are working on new revenue streams, are pushing for larger memberships and bigger crowds (some don't seem interested, with their bosses preferring to pay players less money instead of making an effort...). Hopefully clubs like Souths and Dragons can exceed 10,000 members next year, Dogs and Roosters should be aiming for about 7000-8000 (Roosters have 6000 this year). The NRL is under huge pressure to get a much improved TV deal next time around.

I wouldn't like to see any Sydney team fail but I want to see a truly national competition, not the extended Sydney suburban competition we now have. That means less Sydney teams and that frees up franchises for expansion.

why do you have to weaken your strongest area to bring in weaker clubs?

thats bad for the game.

when ken arthurson was baking the cake there was enough for everyone.

but your club got greedy and didnt want to share, now you have nothing

joshreading

Staff member
when ken arthurson was baking the cake there was enough for everyone.

but your club got greedy and didnt want to share, now you have nothing

When Ken Arthurson was in power they were moving towards the 'Bradley Plan' of only FIVE TEAMS IN SYDNEY. That is a fact. The rationalisation of teams in Sydney is NOT some sort of SL conspiracy. It is something the ARL has been looking at for TWENTY FIVE YEARS. Originally they looked at making a 'super league' of teams in QLD and NSW but NSW rejected it. If only the painful decisions were made then but we are all in a lose lose situation now.