What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can RL take over from RU in NZ?

screeny

Bench
No i disagreed with your assertion that PI's are more suited to League than Rugby because they are renowned for tackling and bal carrying... because they are renowned for so much more than that and are just as suited to Rugby as they are League
I would say that PI players are renowned for those two things above all others (and you can add to that things like strength, size etc that all contribute to a strong ball carry and a hard tackle).

To say that PI players are not renowned for those two parts of 'rugby' is just being pedantic though...

Te Kaha

First Grade
I would say that PI players are renowned for those two things above all others (and you can add to that things like strength, size etc that all contribute to a strong ball carry and a hard tackle).

To say that PI players are not renowned for those two parts of 'rugby' is just being pedantic though...

FFS i am not saying they are not renowned for those two.. i am saying they are renowned for so much more as well... you said. based on those two attributes only, that PI's are more suited to league than Rugby... i dispute this by saying that PI players offer so much more which is why they are just as suited to BOTH games... to say that all the offer is being big and strong and good for only big tackles and ball carrying is bordering on being racist.

Super Porkie telling Irish Warrior common I know you can do it.....post me the link!
League: NZRL clashes threaten league reforms

5:00AM Sunday February 25, 2007
By David Fisher

The body count is already high. As problems continue with the administration of the game, player numbers have fallen.
The most recent figures from the Sport and Recreation Council show that numbers of people playing league slipped from 30,249 in 2000 to 15,136 three years later. Similarly, at secondary schools, the number of young people playing has fallen from 2376 in 1999 to 1393 in 2005.
League doesn't even feature in Sparc's latest list of the 15 most popular sports in the country.
:lol::lol:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10425652

Show us the link!!!!!! Or you got something to hide? The article must also be giving Union a ribbing in NZ .:crazy:

And i think you need to read my previous comments again I would think the Sparc report is correct for 2001. See you can't even read the sparc report How about your invisable article?

Warrior what are you going to tell us next?

Poor old porkie telling Irish Warrior you are the laughing stock of the forums!!!

Start giving facts....I back up all my arguments with article and reports. You back up yours with.........NOTHING!!!!!!

I can't stop laughing

http://www.sparc.org.nz/research-po...rticipation-nz-adults/participation-nz-adults

PLEASE NOTE:
  1. The figures in this table are from a sample survey and so are estimates of the percentage and number of participants in each sport and activity. The accuracy of the estimates varies with the number of respondents the figures are based on (see columns 5 and 6). For sports/activities mentioned by less than 100 respondents, the figures should be used to indicate the level of participation in these sports/activities and not to provide exact figures.
  2. These figures do not refer to registered members of a national sporting code.
  3. The percentages are rounded to the nearest whole number (<1 indicates that less than 0.5% of adults took part in the sport/activity). The numbers of participants are rounded to the nearest hundred and are calculated using the percentages before rounding and the number of New Zealand adults recorded in the 2001 Census.
  4. People may participate in the sports/activities shown in this table on a casual basis and/or with a club or organisation.
  5. The figures in this table are from the 1997, 1998 and 2000 Combined Sport and Physical Activity Surveys.
  6. Motor sports includes motorcycling, trail biking and motor racing.
:crazy::crazy:

Cheezel

Juniors

Super Irish Warrior...............Finally......now that wasn't so hard was it :lol:

So now we got the link lets have a look in a little more detail.

The most recent figures from the Sport and Recreation Council show that numbers of people playing league slipped from 30,249 in 2000 to 15,136 three years later

So the (15,136) was for 2003. Is this not 2008? Warrior that would be like me giving you ARU figures from 2000 and say the ARU is in crisis. Irish Warrior your living in the past :lol: so how does this relate to the current figured I have given you from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League_in_New_Zealand

It has inceased from 15,136 in 2003 to 22,000 in 2007. :lol: an improvement. Watch out Warrior the RL tidelwave is coming!!!!

All this progress on the back of the NZRL board that could not organise a R$$t in a brothel.

at secondary schools, the number of young people playing has fallen from 2376 in 1999 to 1393 in 2005

So the (1393) is from 2005 :lol: Is this not 2008? Warrior your living in the past :lol:

Warrior you make debating so much easier!!!!

Please don't leave this forum. I need my daliy does of comedy!!!

tack

Juniors
100 years of prejudice - still a problem with kids being able to play league in the schools.

Go the Kiwis:

screeny

Bench
FFS i am not saying they are not renowned for those two.. i am saying they are renowned for so much more as well... you said. based on those two attributes only, that PI's are more suited to league than Rugby... i dispute this by saying that PI players offer so much more which is why they are just as suited to BOTH games... to say that all the offer is being big and strong and good for only big tackles and ball carrying is bordering on being racist.
Don't talk crap...even mentioning racism has no part in this conversation. When did I say they are only known for tackling and ball carry and nowt else?

If a host of 'rugby' fans were polled with the following:

"which two rugby attributes are PI players are renowned for: organisational skills, strong ball carry, passing ability, tackling, work rate."

you know which answer would poll the most.

My contention, sticking to the point of the thread, is that because RL has more tackling and ball running it will logically become more and more popular with Islander players, as is already being seen in lower Aussie grade RL and the NRL clubs too (or is that racist too?). Therefore, as this trend continues RL will continue to make ground in the Pacific - including NZ - until it takes over.

You do know that nobody on any RL forums uses wikipedia as a source . :D
Similarly, at secondary schools, the number of young people playing has fallen from 2376 in 1999 to 1393 in 2005.

It has inceased from 15,136 in 2003 to 22,000 in 2007. an improvement. Watch out Warrior the RL tidelwave is coming!!!!['/quote]
School numbers were down to 1393 in 2005 from 2376 in 1999 . And the whole paticipation numbers down to 15,136 in 2003 . The only RL tidalwave that is happening is the one in your dreams . RL numbers are falling in NZ every year and I wouldn't be surprise if its under 10,000 by 2010 .

All this progress on the back of the NZRL board that could not organise a R$$t in a brothel
Wikipedia is like asking you to give us the paticipation numbers in RL and RU .

Te Kaha

First Grade
Don't talk crap...even mentioning racism has no part in this conversation. When did I say they are only known for tackling and ball carry and nowt else?

If a host of 'rugby' fans were polled with the following:

"which two rugby attributes are PI players are renowned for: organisational skills, strong ball carry, passing ability, tackling, work rate."

you know which answer would poll the most.
There you go again... "which two"... in YOUR world maybe... have you ever played League or rugby??? ask any "Rugby" fans what PI players are renowned for and you will get... big hits, fancy foot work, ball carrying, offloading... even work rate... Micheal Jones... widely regarded as the best open side flanker of all time was of Samoaen heritage... his work rate was second to none... Olsen Filipaina was known for a few other things than "ball carrying and tackling"

My contention, sticking to the point of the thread, is that because RL has more tackling and ball running it will logically become more and more popular with Islander players, as is already being seen in lower Aussie grade RL and the NRL clubs too (or is that racist too?). Therefore, as this trend continues RL will continue to make ground in the Pacific - including NZ - until it takes over.
so Islander players will only ever be interested in a game that has more tackling and ball running??? my god your view of islanders is pathetic....

Not mention that your logic has some glaring holes in it... one.. there are more islanders playing rugby in Auckland, samoa, tonga, fiji than there are in the NRL and lower aussie grades... and two, anacdotally, they are growing the same as the NRL... therefore since both trends are likely to continue then logically, with all things being equal, League WILL not take over.... however things arent equal... as the IRB is pumping millions into Island Rugby in an effort to get those youngsters playing rugby... so far it is working... there is no reason to believe it will not continue to work...

Cheezel

Juniors
You do know that nobody on any RL forums uses wikipedia as a source . :D

It has inceased from 15,136 in 2003 to 22,000 in 2007. an improvement. Watch out Warrior the RL tidelwave is coming!!!!['/quote]
School numbers were down to 1393 in 2005 from 2376 in 1999 . And the whole paticipation numbers down to 15,136 in 2003 . The only RL tidalwave that is happening is the one in your dreams . RL numbers are falling in NZ every year and I wouldn't be surprise if its under 10,000 by 2010 .

Wikipedia is like asking you to give us the paticipation numbers in RL and RU .

You running out of steam Irish Warrior? :lol:

You must be if that's you best comeback:lol::lol::lol:

My contention, sticking to the point of the thread, is that because RL has more tackling and ball running it will logically become more and more popular with Islander players, as is already being seen in lower Aussie grade RL and the NRL clubs too (or is that racist too?).
If that is the case then why aren't all the Islanders in New Zealand playing rugby league ? It proves that rugby union is in their blood. Did you know that Polynesians from Tokelau, Niue, Cook Island, Tuvalu, Kiribati in NZ aren't really interested in either RL, RU or any contact sport at all ? Its like saying that all the Afro American kids are going to take up marathon and long distance events like their counterparts in Africa and Africans taking up sprint events .

Therefore, as this trend continues RL will continue to make ground in the Pacific
RL would never take over soccer and rugby in Pacific . It would always play the long distance cousin to both sports .

including NZ - until it takes over.
Screeny, Do you know what percentage of the NZ population are Islanders ?

You do know that nobody on any RL forums uses wikipedia as a source .

You running out of steam Irish Warrior? :lol:

You must be if that's you best comeback:lol::lol::lol:
You must be running out of numbers to use for your RL paticipation because you have broken the record on this forum for most emotions in one week . Keep it up cheesy. Next week you will have the same numbers of emotion as the NZ rugby league paticipation numbers .:D

Cheezel

Juniors
Did you know that Polynesians from Tokelau, Niue, Cook Island, Tuvalu, Kiribati in NZ aren't really interested in either RL, RU or any contact sport at all ? quote]

Super Irish Warrior Are you saying the RU & RL are not played on these islands? Not that I am an expert like you :lol: but I am pretty sure Union and League are played on the Cook Islands.

Warrior your not telling more porkies are you?:lol:

screeny

Bench
If that is the case then why aren't all the Islanders in New Zealand playing rugby league ? It proves that rugby union is in their blood. Did you know that Polynesians from Tokelau, Niue, Cook Island, Tuvalu, Kiribati in NZ aren't really interested in either RL, RU or any contact sport at all ? Its like saying that all the Afro American kids are going to take up marathon and long distance events like their counterparts in Africa and Africans taking up sprint events .

RL would never take over soccer and rugby in Pacific . It would always play the long distance cousin to both sports .

Screeny, Do you know what percentage of the NZ population are Islanders ?

To answer your first question: simply because RL has never been well organised internationally. Now it is entering a golden era with the PI operations seeming to be doing quite well. Certainly Fijian RL has never been in as rude health as it is now. Tonga, too, is at its healthiest according to most soundings coming out of Tonga in terms of the clubs playing in the senior and junior leagues.

Add to that the general expansion of RL in the SH, not only through player numbers but also media and you've got a further appeal.

Unquestionably more PI players are making pro careers, or trying to make pro careers, out of RL than ever before, so that trend also points to the Pac Islands getting more RL influence.

Finally, and this is a point Te Kaha has also missed out on, is that none of us have espoused a theory that RL wil take over RU today or tomorrow but will in the future. As I said earlier, it's evolution.

screeny

Bench
To add to the debate, here's the latest quote from our illustrious president, Col Love:

'A number of other factors were also due to be discussed by members of the RLIF over the next few days including a future tours program and the possible involvement of both France and the Pacific Nations in a Five-Nations tournament.

The RLIF is keen to give more exposure to teams from Fiji, Samoa and Tonga to increase their competitiveness and ward off a possible raid on their playing ranks by rugby union.

"I'm sure that will happen as a matter of course," Love said of involving the Pacific Nations.

"It may well be, and we haven't discussed this yet, it may become a Five-Nations with the Pacific nations competing against each other to see who qualifies for the other spot (in the tournament), but that's a fair way down the track."'

So this again adds to our argument that RL will continue to make significant strides in the PIslands, at RU's expense, as now more PI players can not only see a career path in Aussie clubs, but the PI RL organisations can improve themselves financially as part of this new development strategy.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Finally, and this is a point Te Kaha has also missed out on, is that none of us have espoused a theory that RL wil take over RU today or tomorrow but will in the future. As I said earlier, it's evolution.

No its your opinion... or are you now able to see into the future???... nothing you have stated is a fact... its supposition only....

So this again adds to our argument that RL will continue to make significant strides in the PIslands, at RU's expense, as now more PI players can not only see a career path in Aussie clubs, but the PI RL organisations can improve themselves financially as part of this new development strategy.

Again your supposition it will be at Rugbys expense??? WHY???? The PI players love their Rugby... they wll be paid a lot more playing Rugby.... League is not that different that they will suddenly play it rather than Rugby... There is no doubt League can improve its pressence, but it will never have the financial clout to comptete with the IRB or European Rugby clubs.... what is the insenitive that will cause your "argument" to happen???

Cheezel

Juniors
There is no doubt League can improve its pressence, but it will never have the financial clout to comptete with the IRB or European Rugby clubs quote]

I agree, with your above statment but the cashed up European Clubs are going to do more damage to RU in the southern hemisphere then RL. If anything it may put League in a stronger position in the pacific Islands in the long term.

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s98/st128837.htm
"Make no mistake, in ten years time all the international players, from all over the world, will be playing in England and France. Given the time zones, you could make an argument for making the non-international circuit based in the three big markets – England, France and South Africa. Australia, I honestly think they have had it; New Zealand – too small. Wales and Ireland being so close will be able to keep their two or three or four teams going, almost piggybacking England and France."

The amount of players with PI backgrounds coming through league is huge. These players will become the hero's of tomorrow. The RU hero's will be playing in Europe. This will not do much for the promotion of the game in the Islands.

Te Kaha

First Grade
There is no doubt League can improve its pressence, but it will never have the financial clout to comptete with the IRB or European Rugby clubs quote]

I agree, with your above statment but the cashed up European Clubs are going to do more damage to RU in the southern hemisphere then RL. If anything it may put League in a stronger position in the pacific Islands in the long term.

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s98/st128837.htm
"Make no mistake, in ten years time all the international players, from all over the world, will be playing in England and France. Given the time zones, you could make an argument for making the non-international circuit based in the three big markets – England, France and South Africa. Australia, I honestly think they have had it; New Zealand – too small. Wales and Ireland being so close will be able to keep their two or three or four teams going, almost piggybacking England and France."

The amount of players with PI backgrounds coming through league is huge. These players will become the hero's of tomorrow. The RU hero's will be playing in Europe. This will not do much for the promotion of the game in the Islands.

Thats one guys opinion... it may or may not come to pass... The IRB will invariably have to do something about it if it wants a strong south pacific pressence and to keep its image as a global game.. having only one pro comp in the world does not meet that.

you also forget the Pacifc cup gets played in front of them each year with those self same stars.. they have the international 7s each year where they see their stars playing... and the amount of players with PI background coming through and playing playing rugby is just as huge as it is for League....

lol at the union trolls.

whilst one form of rugby is dieing off in our area, another just keeps growing.

and with the Anzac test on tonight the international game goes from srength to stength.