What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the Sharks win the Premiership?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I hope they do, and we play them in the first final. At least we're guaranteed a week off during the finals the next week.

The reality is, they limped over the line against a pathetic Eels outfit, gifted a game against the Raiders, played against the Warriors who are quite simply the biggest disappointment of any side this year, and the Broncos who were in bad form and missing all their stars.

Wait until they come up against some quality opposition, then you'll know if they've turned the corner. Based on their run home, I'd say they'll win 4 or 5 at best.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
soward gets hurt and you guys are royally fugged.
We won't be as strong, but alot of our structure no longer revolves around Soward exclusively, in the opp 20 we generally attack down the left with Hornby, Creagh, Cooper and Morris. It's the long kicking we'd miss, but it can be covered albeit less effective.

There is no doubt he is our most dangerous weapon, but the same can be said of Inglis or Slater at the storm, Thurston and Bowen at the Cowboys. Your main goto guy goes down, you're never going to be as effective.

We'd still be competitive without him though.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
the sharks can win the premiership. any team except the roosters can at this stage.
The Roosters technically can as well. They must win all their remaining games however and improve their for and against substantially to be a chance.

But put the Sharks and Roosters in the same basket, if you're starting to talk "Mathematical" chances just past the mid-way point of a season, your season is over.

topKing

no the sharks are more than mathermatical. their destiny is in their hands. they do not need to rely on any other clubs results to make the finals.

carcharias

Immortal
We won't be as strong, but alot of our structure no longer revolves around Soward exclusively, in the opp 20 we generally attack down the left with Hornby, Creagh, Cooper and Morris. It's the long kicking we'd miss, but it can be covered albeit less effective.

There is no doubt he is our most dangerous weapon, but the same can be said of Inglis or Slater at the storm, Thurston and Bowen at the Cowboys. Your main goto guy goes down, you're never going to be as effective.

We'd still be competitive without him though.

um ...royally fugged.
like ABBA without Benny.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
no the sharks are more than mathermatical. their destiny is in their hands. they do not need to rely on any other clubs results to make the finals.
Not necessarily, there is a divide between the top 8 and bottom 8 at this point this year. It is entirely possible that the floor of the 8 could reach 30, and at a stretch 32.

The number 28 is not a definitive rule for entry into the 8, and even then you're still relying on for and against. If the Sharks drop one more game all season they drop into the mathematical chance category... Which they will.

topKing

30 is the highest for the cutoff to the 8 can be. if u get to 30, u make the finals. simple as that. do the maths.

this goes for every year, not just this year.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
30 is the highest for the cutoff to the 8 can be. if u get to 30, u make the finals. simple as that. do the maths.

this goes for every year, not just this year.
I have read it elsewhere before that it is possible to reach 32. 30 can still be judged on for and against.

topKing

I have read it elsewhere before that it is possible to reach 32. 30 can still be judged on for and against.

well maybe u should stop relying on what u read, and do the maths urself. its very simple. in the most even comp of all time, if u get to 28 u must rely on for and against. but if u get to 30 u are guaranteed of a spot in the finals.

The Dodger

First Grade
lol

what a gee up of a thread.
and trust the silly stains to come in on their high horse like they are royalty.

and yes, nothing is sweeter than watching the merged scum choke in the finals.

in reality, I cant see the sharks making a major dent this year, they have lost too many games already.

but having a crack because we are playing understrength teams is also very funny because the sharks would have to have one of the most understrength teams in the comp, so that argument is void.

with a team like ours, manly and melbourne should be a sure thing when they play us....

and if we make the 8 and play against the dogs or stains, then they must also be a sure thing....

drake

First Grade
lol

what a gee up of a thread.
and trust the silly stains to come in on their high horse like they are royalty.

and yes, nothing is sweeter than watching the merged scum choke in the finals.

in reality, I cant see the sharks making a major dent this year, they have lost too many games already.

but having a crack because we are playing understrength teams is also very funny because the sharks would have to have one of the most understrength teams in the comp, so that argument is void.

with a team like ours, manly and melbourne should be a sure thing when they play us....

and if we make the 8 and play against the dogs or stains, then they must also be a sure thing....
Some clubs would say that winning a Grand Final is sweeter. Or getting to a grand final. Or not being the laughing stock of professional rugby league for four decades.

But, beggars can't be choosers ay Dodger?

I can say that destroying the Sharks to make the Grand Final in '99 was sweet though.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It's in the bag already, shut the gate, listen to fat lady sing, all over red rover.

Seriously though, it is possible, but no one team is standing out are they?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
well maybe u should stop relying on what u read, and do the maths urself. its very simple. in the most even comp of all time, if u get to 28 u must rely on for and against. but if u get to 30 u are guaranteed of a spot in the finals.
I suggest you learn the maths, it can change EVERY year, there is practically an infinite number of variables that affect the outcome. I suggest you play with the NRL ladder predictor, you'll find that your maths that is "very simple" is actually quite wrong, with the ladder as it stands, albeit with a few unlikely results to manipulate the ladder, the following is possible...

ladderb.jpg

It is the uneven comps, which this one is shaping up to be that raise the floor of the top 8. 30 or 32 are definitely not impossible.

Last edited:

The Dodger

First Grade
Some clubs would say that winning a Grand Final is sweeter. Or getting to a grand final. Or not being the laughing stock of professional rugby league for four decades.

But, beggars can't be choosers ay Dodger?

I can say that destroying the Sharks to make the Grand Final in '99 was sweet though.

lol
nice catch.

i'd say you would be filthy if the sharks folded.
the next worst is 30 years and sweet f**k all.

Sleep

Juniors
Haha. Great thread. I laughed plenty. Be realistic.

Can they? Yeah. Will they? :lol: No.

If they make the eight it'll be a good turn around for them but that's probably the best they can hope for and even that is slim jim.