What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra Raiders vs. Canterbury Bulldogs *Live Updates*

Raider_69

Post Whore
scottyeel said:
So who brought them to the club?
Great win today Raiders.

a combination of many things
most of all from speaking to them, an oppertunity, to which management and elliott have played a role in :)

Stranger

Coach
Canberra played excellent today, dogs played... deacent.

Canberra seem to be well trained, and i dunno what elliot has done thats so bad with the mob:|

He gave Carney sniffs of FG, and now hes preforming well, cant fault elliot there. Apart from the very boring style of play, canberra look well trained, but hey its also working atm isnt it?

*awaits Raider onslaught*

Elliott has done a much better job coaching this year IMO, and I do pay a lot of credit to him for developing our forwards and making some astute long-term buys like Thurling, TLL, Tilse, etc.

However we'll have to wait and see what he does come the business end of the season, if he benches Carney in favour of starting with Smith, Woolford and Withers then it will undo all of Carney's good work and confidence.

We'll see, but this shouldn't be turned into a thread about Elliott, instead we should talk about such a great game.

Mr Saab

Referee
Raider, you blatant dislike for Elliott is remarkable.
For him to have coached this team to 7 wins so far is a great achievement.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well done Canberra, ran us ragged.

As with any game, there were a few sh*thouse decisions (albeit in both directions) but at the end of the day we let you get away with it for a bit too long. Brilliant finish, had everyone on the edge of their seat. Hopefully we can sink the Cowboys season on Sunday. Not happy it's on the GC though. :(

Mal Meninga

Bench
Stranger said:
He gave Carney sniffs of FG, and now hes preforming well, cant fault elliot
Sorry but you just have not followed the Todd Carney situation at all.
Many of the Raiders fans believed that Toddy would be the clubs star halfback of the future, back as an 18 year old where he tore up the lower grades, winning SG Ball, and fast-tracked to premier league as a 17 year old.

He made his debut as an 18 year old, and for one reason, struggled for the next 1.5 years. The reason being that an organising and ball running halfback was being played off the bench for the final 15-20 minutes of most games when the game had already been settled. Now as a 20 year old, he's been given a decent shot at first grade with Smith out of the way, and he's improving every week because he's playing 80 minutes.

Matt Elliot also predicted that Willy Zillman would be a 'future star' in this comp. Has he played at all? Barely. Why? No idea. He'd much rather prefer to bring in hookers to play halfback, and base EVERYTHING around a 33/34 year old 5/8.

Along with his persistance to pick duds such as Bulgarelli, Gafa, Purtell, Tyran Smith, Drew etc, and the love affair with David "He's got rep footy in him" Howell, makes me sick in the stomach.

Can I ask, how is a side that runs one out, or from dummy half, a 'well trained' side? I'm sure you could get most NRL teams to do that without coaching.

Raider_69

Post Whore
lotm said:
mob mentality at its finest.

:lol: :lol:
there are 4 facts of life as it stands

1. the sun will rise
2. the sun will set
3. tax's are unavoidable
4. lotm will go against the grain :p

Master Vippo

Juniors
Elliot has developed a good style of play for a team with few superstars. Safe, reliable with few mistakes. Keep it Simple Stupis. Not bad i reckon. Has a weird sense of humour

thickos

First Grade
Stranger said:
Canberra played excellent today, dogs played... deacent.

Canberra seem to be well trained, and i dunno what elliot has done thats so bad with the mob:|

He gave Carney sniffs of FG, and now hes preforming well, cant fault elliot there. Apart from the very boring style of play, canberra look well trained, but hey its also working atm isnt it?

*awaits Raider onslaught*

Were you bored yesterday? I thought it was a damn exciting game. This year we've had two golden point wins and a nailbiter liked that - yet Channel 9 will not have a bar of us because of the 'boring' perception.

Fact is we're 7-6, Eels are 3-10... and they'll have had 9 FTA games by Rd 16.

Shame.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't mind the opportunity for a chuckle at Parramatta losing, although I'd much rather see the better ranked teams run around.

aussies1st

Staff member
Elliott has always been like that but our problem is if we get dominated like we usually do against the Storm. We have no 2nd game plan of attack. Then it gets really ugly.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Our huge positive on the weekend was the step up of young forwards Rothery and Thurling, and the return of Weyman. Despite their performance, they've found themselves on the extended bench! Weyman on the bench, but he has to start soon.

I suppose if it gives them sniffs of FG, they'll eventually come to grips with regular footy 2 years down the track.

Latest posts