What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Cannonball" Luke

ghostface

Juniors
it was not a good tackle, cheap shot. However i don't know what the f**k Cameron Smith was waiving his arms about... the guy's team has this tackle down to a fine art.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I looked at your hidden post because of my misguided naivety that you'd have a decent post in this thread..
Please put me back on ignore constable gumby.

It's safe to say I've forgotten more about history, especially WW2, than you'll learn in your entire life.
I'll put my long toil in various universities up against your casual reading of wikipedia any day of the week.

I've read close to 100 books solely on WW2. Along with autobiographies, reading about WW2 is one of my passions. Don't think for a second you know more than me on the subject.
Stick to the history of beauty and the geek simpleton and stop embarrassing yourself.

Danish

Referee
There is a safe way to wrap up the legs, and it doesn't involve trying to shoulder charge them.

There is a safe way to wrap up the ball too which doesn't involve shoulder charging. More players are injured and suspended every year than have been hurt by these "cannonball" tackles.

Should we ban those as well?

Seriously since when did worrying about not hurting your opponent become important?

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I've read close to 100 books solely on WW2. Along with autobiographies, reading about WW2 is one of my passions. Don't think for a second you know more than me on the subject.
hor4.jpg

61b2PTECGWL._SL500_.jpg

Frailty

First Grade
There is a safe way to wrap up the ball too which doesn't involve shoulder charging. More players are injured and suspended every year than have been hurt by these "cannonball" tackles.

Seriously since when did worrying about not hurting your opponent become important?

Worrying about hurting and trying to deliberately hurt your opponent are different things.

Luke is deliberately trying to injure players.

Perth Red

Post Whore
defender tackles player around the legs, shock horror! The media love to label a tackle and the NRL love to knee jerk to them (no pun intended!)

BranVan3000

Coach
These types of tackles are not black and white and shouldn't be treated as such. You can't just blanket ban all third man in tackles around the leg. But players need to be aware that poor form can lead to penalties or worse

Danish

Referee
Worrying about hurting and trying to deliberately hurt your opponent are different things.

Luke is deliberately trying to injure players.

And what is a shoulder charge trying to do exactly if not trying to deliberately hurt the ball runner?

Frankly if any player pulling on a roosters jersey isn't trying to hit hard enough in defence to hurt their opponent I don't want them on the field.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Why are refs not allowed to use discretion? Something along the lines of "If a player comes in hard with intent at the legs of a player not in motion, the referee may use his discretion to determine if the player was wrapping the player up, or trying to injure".

There will be a few inconsistencies, but aren't there always? If you're trying to slow the play down, go for it, trying to smash a blokes legs out, the gtfo.

Also, this sort of play is very much rugby league. Reading some historical stuff about Bumper Farrels days and him and the other props had a technique of pulling the hooker down from the other props shoulders and then stomping the little prick. Not saying it's right, it has always been a part of the game until recently.

You could also hurt the guy on the other team if you dropped a knee and two elbows into his face while he was on the ground, but its against the rules because its dangerous and unnecessary get it.

The same way that there is no advantages in allowing a defender to barrel the legs of someone who isn't moving.

What's funny to me is this could have the potential to punish otherwise good tacklers with good form.

The players who go low at the legs, as they've been coached, could well be punished for freak accidents.

I don't buy referee discretion, it won't work. What needs to be done is a clear cut rule, if 2 people are in the tackle, you can't go low. Something like that. I'm just brainstorming. But there will have to be a clear rule because you cannot referee these incidents subjectively.

Take Luke for example, I seriously doubt he's geniused. I don't believe he's stupid enough to do something so blatant, in the space of 2 games. Luke's tackled like that for years, what's happened is there's been 2 freak incidents where it's "gone wrong".

In a lot of ways it's out of the players hands what the result of going in low as the 3rd man will be. So it either needs to be stamped out or allowed. I don't think realistically you'll find a middle ground that's fair.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Why are refs not allowed to use discretion? Something along the lines of "If a player comes in hard with intent at the legs of a player not in motion, the referee may use his discretion to determine if the player was wrapping the player up, or trying to injure".

There will be a few inconsistencies, but aren't there always? If you're trying to slow the play down, go for it, trying to smash a blokes legs out, the gtfo.

Also, this sort of play is very much rugby league. Reading some historical stuff about Bumper Farrels days and him and the other props had a technique of pulling the hooker down from the other props shoulders and then stomping the little prick. Not saying it's right, it has always been a part of the game until recently.

Because they'd suck at it.

BigBadWilly

Juniors
Well I am going to stick up for Luke and say yes he is a Dumb merkin that's all I will say I really wish he would stop doing this it just doesn't look good and Sandow was doing it as well and yep I think he is trying to hurt players this was a Lang thing and I remember it happening at the panthers as well.

Danish

Referee
You could also hurt the guy on the other team if you dropped a knee and two elbows into his face while he was on the ground, but its against the rules because its dangerous and unnecessary get it.

The same way that there is no advantages in allowing a defender to barrel the legs of someone who isn't moving.

No you can't. Striking with the elbow or knee has always been illegal in league and such action has nothing to do with making a tackle.

Conversely, driving your shoulder into a mans legs is a legitimate tackling technique which has proven very effective on tall props throughout the history of the league.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I looked at your hidden post because of my misguided naivety that you'd have a decent post in this thread.

It's safe to say I've forgotten more about history, especially WW2, than you'll learn in your entire life.

Perhaps a quick scan of the premiership history of the last 40 years would be enlightening?

How's this for a quick introduction?

We shall LOL@50uFF$ on the beaches,
we shall LOL@50uFF$ on the landing grounds,
we shall LOL@50uFF$ in the fields and in the streets,
we shall LOL@50uFF$ in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if,
which I do not for a moment believe,
this movement or a large part of it were subjugated and sober,
then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the anti Master and Commander,
would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time,
the new world, with all its power and might, steps forth to LOL@50uFF$.

:sarcasm:

Hooch

Juniors
Just make the rule once momentum is gone from the tackle you are not allowed to dive at the legs to bring the held up man down. You can lift the leg, grapple the legs, you just cant come screaming in at a near stationary player and dive at his knee. I haven't seen much of it until this season, seems like a clear ploy to injure the player.

Just to point out the obvious for a few, it's a very different thing diving at the legs of a running man and diving at the legs of a held up stationary man. Held up stationary mans leg will buckle and twist with a high injury risk, running man just goes arse over tit.