What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap disaster: Eels have no room to rebuild

Avenger

Immortal
Unfortunately the brief flash of brilliance late in 2009 created some unrealistic expectations among some of our squad and staff, and huge back-ended extensions were offered to players that didn't deserve them.

Yeah but who would have thought that Mortimer would have such a career since. I know he has won a comp but you know what I mean. He was brilliant in 2009.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It reminds me that it wasnt kearney that destroyed the club,.............. and maybe its the club who destroyed kearneys coaching career who tried to clean up the shitfight.

I'm sure coming to Parra was a bad career move but if he was a better coach he would have done better with the 2012 roster, even with Hayne missing half the year.

2011 I thought we overachieved, to be honest. But I think Maitua turned out to be a toxic influence in the playing group.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah but who would have thought that Mortimer would have such a career since. I know he has won a comp but you know what I mean. He was brilliant in 2009.

I was slightly concerned at zero LBAs (I'm not kidding) but with everything else I assumed the playmaking ability would come. I would have been gutted if the Dogs took him off us so I understand why the club felt pressured to keep him after the disappointment of losing that grand final.

But as soon as he played behind a team not making 20 offloads every week he turned into the plodder he is today. It seems his only strength is his support play, and everyone looks good in the backfield.

Chipmunk

Coach
I was slightly concerned at zero LBAs (I'm not kidding) but with everything else I assumed the playmaking ability would come. I would have been gutted if the Dogs took him off us so I understand why the club felt pressured to keep him after the disappointment of losing that grand final.

But as soon as he played behind a team not making 20 offloads every week he turned into the plodder he is today. It seems his only strength is his support play, and everyone looks good in the backfield.

I think The Hayne Train making the entire comp look like it was back in the Under 10s made plenty of our players in 2009 appear better than they were.

strider

Post Whore
Unfortunately the brief flash of brilliance late in 2009 created some unrealistic expectations among some of our squad and staff, and huge back-ended extensions were offered to players that didn't deserve them.

Then our poor form in future years created a need for external signings that also received back-ended contracts they didn't deserve. It's easy to see how this kind of thing rolls forward into future years.

Thank f**k we currently only have half a squad contracted for 2016. Unfortunately there's a good chance most of them are back-ended. :(

actually I reckon alot of the damage in the DA/Ossie period was done before our good run .... we were shit and had to pay overs to attract and keep players

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought Tahu was a waste of money (we already had four outside backs on first grade money - Burt, Inu, Reddy, Grothe) but Poore and Shackleton were good signings. They were just both ruined by injury.

strider

Post Whore
i think they were good from a roster point of view and agree things would have been vastly different without injuries .... but we still paid overs

hineyrulz

Post Whore
seriously - this one is like a deja vu moment .... I'll swear this post is copy n pasted every 2 years with different names :lol:
:lol: not having a go at Del but that is eerily similar to a post of his on Friday night.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Wow, some real world beaters in that mob above... We obviously didn't re-sign any of them. I have never heard of half of them

I thought Marty Lewis would make a great first grader. He was the Jersey flegg captain in the grand final against the Panthers then he disappeared.