What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap disaster: Eels have no room to rebuild

Bazal

Post Whore
speaking of our cap space, how important is Kelly's signature after his 5 try effort for Wenty today.

Didn't one Steve Witt once score 5 tries in PL? Kelly can wait IMO...I'm personally still not sold on his attitude. Offer him minimum wage at best, he hasn't proven himself by any means...and if he wants big money, then seeya :nwave:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think we`ll be sweet, too. I`m an optimist. But I`m also a realist. I think it`s only sensible to fully comprehend that our playing roster (current first-graders) is not as strong as a lot of other clubs (maybe even ANY other clubs) at the moment. I have great faith in the coach; I also think that the original article is probably an absolute crock of sh*t; and I think we will re-build in 2011 and become a force again. I have absolutley no doubt about that. I`m excited about that. But to pretend that our current side is a very good one, is just unrealistic.

Absolutely. I don't think we have a fantastic side, but until we can make some big outside signings (if that is Daniel's intention to begin with anyway) I think we can be pretty happy that we have some talent at our disposal. True, a lot of them aren't ready yet. But they will be, and we'll better for it - Tim Mannah is getting better every week imo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
From that list I'd take (if possible):

1. Shack
2. Fitz on a one-year with a second in our favour
3. Poore

If we can squeeze those into our cap I'd be happy.

I'd also be happy with the previously mentioned Lehroyd-Lars and /or Logan from Canberra.

Agreed.

The more I hear about Fitzy possibly coming down the more I like it to be honest.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well there goes that idea.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25494783-5006066,00.html

CHAMPION Sydney Roosters forward Craig Fitzgibbon will depart Bondi Junction at the end of this season after signing a one-year deal to join English club Hull.
A cornerstone of the foundation club for the past 10 seasons, Fitzgibbon informed his Roosters teammates in the SFS dressing rooms after last night's match against Newcastle.
The Bondi Junction icon and former club captain has taken the role Michael Crocker was signed to fill at Hull FC before his UK visa was denied.
NRL rivals Parramatta had made a major play to lure Fitzgibbon west next season, but the long-time NSW and Australian Test forward was loathe to play for any team other than the Roosters.
"I've had a wonderful career at the Roosters and I did have a couple of opportunities in the NRL,'' Fitzgibbon said.
"But I just couldn't see myself playing against the Roosters, I couldn't do it. Going to England I've got the opportunity to play in a different country and experience a different culture. Hopefully I might be able to win some silverware with Hull and finish my playing career on a positive note.''

Often likened to a modern version of Ray Price, at the height of his career Fitzgibbon was a picture of perpetual motion for the Roosters.
One of his greatest triumphs was winning a surprise recall to representative football last season after two years in the State of Origin and international wilderness.
Fitzgibbon notched his 250th NRL game for the Roosters last Monday and won a premiership ring with the club in 2002.
Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce applauded him for a decade of outstanding service.
"His enthusiasm, commitment and the way he's applied himself has been a key component of the Roosters' success for the past 10 years,'' Noyce said.
"I was proud last week when he played 250 first-grade games. You don't achieve that number of games, especially the way he plays, without being the ultimate professional.''

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
#SnowballEffect

Anyway the cap is fixed. Five years of missing the finals is the price we had to pay but we're looking good for next year and 2016 we only have twelve players on contract.

Chipmunk

Coach
Only makes it more important to expose the likes of Marty Lewis, Tim Robinson, Jeremy Latimore, James Grehan, Jono Wright and Greg Nuchols to first grade over the coming months. Provided we even have the cash to keep any of them.

Wow, some real world beaters in that mob above... We obviously didn't re-sign any of them. I have never heard of half of them

strider

Post Whore
Colonel, I am reading this from London, where the weather is cr*p, the TV is awful and train fares are daylight robbery at least my daughter and her family is here packing to come home after a few years working here.

It would be ridiculous to put any blame on DA, I am aware that the staff are working very long hours to try and work out the issues left behind by supercoach. From the moment DA walked into the club, he was terrififed of the roster and payment situation, I heard that they had 2011 as the real target for some recruitment with some work to be done for 2010,have faith in DA.

Having a little knowledge I am gobsmacked how much some of the players were resigned for nder MH, and I am not talking about the top 10 or so. Anyway, when you have a disinterested coach and a rookie manager who possibly couldn't question much, you end up with what we have.

Thank goodness we have some changes at the club, particularly at NRL level to sort it out over time. Never underestimate the absolute c**k up that the roster and cap was left in when the F3 got its final workout.

seriously - this one is like a deja vu moment .... I'll swear this post is copy n pasted every 2 years with different names :lol:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
seriously - this one is like a deja vu moment .... I'll swear this post is copy n pasted every 2 years with different names :lol:

Unfortunately the brief flash of brilliance late in 2009 created some unrealistic expectations among some of our squad and staff, and huge back-ended extensions were offered to players that didn't deserve them.

Then our poor form in future years created a need for external signings that also received back-ended contracts they didn't deserve. It's easy to see how this kind of thing rolls forward into future years.

Thank f**k we currently only have half a squad contracted for 2016. Unfortunately there's a good chance most of them are back-ended. :(

hindmarshisgod

Juniors
It is a f**king awesome thread to dredge up. I'm loving it.

I'm sure there's one lying around where I predict Kearney will become a great coach for us. :lol::lol::oops:

It reminds me that it wasnt kearney that destroyed the club,.............. and maybe its the club who destroyed kearneys coaching career who tried to clean up the shitfight.

Latest posts