What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney or Hastings

getsmarty

Immortal
Jackson Hastings signs deal with Manly
5/40

9News.com.au

Laine Clark 3 hrs ago

BBxthOj.img
:copyright: AAP Image/Paul Miller Jackson Hastings of the Roosters passes the ball during the round 17 NRL match between the Sydney Roosters and the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at Allianz Stadium in Sydney on Thursday, June 30, 2016. Out of favour Sydney Roosters half Jackson Hastings has signed with Manly on a two year NRL deal.

Hastings, 20, had one year left on his Roosters contract but had fallen out with coach Trent Robinson in 2016 after the emergence of young halves Connor Watson and Ryan Matterson.

The son of Roosters legend Kevin Hastings fell even further down the pecking order for 2017 after the tri-colours signed South Sydney half Luke Keary in the off-season.

Hastings finally signed with Manly after being linked to UK Super League club Warrington and reportedly being knocked back by Melbourne and St George Illawarra.

He played 36 NRL games for the Roosters since making his first grade debut in 2014.

Manly head of football Bob Fulton hoped Hastings would revel away from the spotlight he believed had been turned on him at the Roosters.

"As a junior, he was without peer and being the son of a great player in Kevin Hastings obviously has placed extra pressure on him," Fulton said in a statement.

"There will be none of that at Manly.

"We consider him to be one of the most outstanding young players in the game and often a change of clubs can bring about the necessary changes needed for Jackson to fulfil the promise he showed throughout his junior career.

"At the age of 20, Jackson's rugby league career is ahead of him and we want him to be at the Sea Eagles long term."

Hastings reunited with Manly coach Trent Barrett - his childhood neighbour at Wollongong.

"I've known Jackson his whole life, pretty much, and he's an exceptional player," Barrett said.

"We've watched him since he was a kid and he's always been a standout coming through the juniors."

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...th-manly/ar-BBxtrjb?li=AA54yd&ocid=spartandhp

RedVDragon

Juniors
So the theory from uncle Nick that no one by the name of Hastings will play for anyone other than the Rorters is full of crap. The claims he rejected the dragons offer is not true as they didnt go after him.

I believe there are discussions regarding Carney. Not sure how far this will go.

SaintPauli

Juniors
And there you have it. Roosters showing their true colors. The son of a great Kevin Hastings being replaced and shown the door. No priority there even though he did show signs of talent at a young age of only 20. Roosters certainly not a nurturing club. Take note juniors in the NRL. Dragons would never do that.

Bench
There is a post in Facebook from one of the supporters who had a drink with carney, picture of them together, virtually saying he would be signing with us, all things resolved with the NRL he stated six weeks before that is done.
I know the story is not official, photo could be photoshopped and the big issue is the NRL they have been saying he won't be allowed back
So I'm just reporting this but not convinced it's going to happen

TomRedVRiver

Bench
There is a post in Facebook from one of the supporters who had a drink with carney, picture of them together, virtually saying he would be signing with us, all things resolved with the NRL he stated six weeks before that is done.
I know the story is not official, photo could be photoshopped and the big issue is the NRL they have been saying he won't be allowed back
So I'm just reporting this but not convinced it's going to happen

Saw it too mate. I'm pretty sure there's no denying the picture is authentic, there was more than one photo posted as well.
The person who posted the photo quoted Carney saying "He's been talking to Mary every day". Basically said if the NRL allow him back in the game he'll be at the Dragons within 6 weeks.
I doubt the NRL will register him, but if they do.. Look out!!

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
Where's this photo can someone post it? I remember a few months ago someone on the forum is friends with carneys mum and they posted that carney told his mother he will be signing with us very soon

FlameThrower

Bench
If we sign Carney, it would follow the recent trend of bad boys covered in Tatts...
A 1 year deal to prove himself would be a safe option. Hutch is gone for 2017, Mann and Nona are green and untested. Field by all accounts is even greener and more like a seed at this stage.
Low risk, backup plan if you ask me...is signing Carney...although NRL actually letting him register is another story.

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
Signing Carney would be typical of the club. Sign an old player who has been out of the NRL for awhile in a knee jerk reaction. He would add nothing to the future of the club.

If we are going to go down this route, sign up Soward. At least he has two things we could use, a great kicking game we lack and a great cut out pass to negate the opposition winger coming in and jamming the backline.

2017 has been butchered already. I hope it is used to find out what we have in house and to plan for the 2018 purchases of the off contract players we need for the future.

The Doc

Juniors
We need to give Nona and Mann a run.
That simple. Signing Carney nullifies that option.
Mann and Nona should get 6 weeks each minimum to show what they got.
If one shows he has what we've lacked, then leave him in there.
If both flop after 6 or so weeks then mary should say f@#k it and throw young field in to get a taste of first grade.
Im more then certain we will get a halfback out of either Mann or Nona.
Or either of them can be 5/8 and Widdop to Half.
We dont need over the hill halfbacks.
F@#k brian smith and what he has to say.
At worst the will be a stack to choose from for 2018.
Lets give what we have now a shot before we panic.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
We need to give Nona and Mann a run.
That simple. Signing Carney nullifies that option.
Mann and Nona should get 6 weeks each minimum to show what they got.
If one shows he has what we've lacked, then leave him in there.
If both flop after 6 or so weeks then mary should say f@#k it and throw young field in to get a taste of first grade.
Im more then certain we will get a halfback out of either Mann or Nona.
Or either of them can be 5/8 and Widdop to Half.
We dont need over the hill halfbacks.
F@#k brian smith and what he has to say.
At worst the will be a stack to choose from for 2018.
Lets give what we have now a shot before we panic.

Spot on doc hopefully mary is thinking the same way.

St Georgio

Juniors
Brian Smith is a dinosaur and Carney's a tool and a distraction we don't need.
Some said Wayne Bennett was a dinosaur before coming to us some people still say he is a dinosaur!
I would had have both the tool and the dinosaur for 2017 for sure!

Last edited:

monsterkev

Juniors
Saints will probably get him registered to play as they have had success repatriating other players who were trouble

Old Timer

Coach
Some said Wayne Bennett was a dinosaur before coming to us some people still say he is a dinosaur!
I would had have both the tool and the dinosaur for 2017 for sure!
Brian Smiths' coaching record over the last 10 years is a win ratio of 43% including 2010 when he took the Roosters to the GF so hardly an endorsement to sign him up.
Just like Carney his best is a long time ago and not what we need.