What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast and the Bears - Important Fact

coolumsharkie

Referee
the place isn't gods gift to Rugby League. Support the game there tonight, support the Sharks for the next couple of years, and don't deny the Bears the right to recognise their history.

Or enjoy the Soccer.

FFS! It's not as if the Bris Lions AFL hasn't worked. It's kept a bit of the old clubs tradition but is well and truly a Brisbane AFL identity. (I felt a bit dirty typing that)

In 5 years time you will have the Central Coast Bears playing out of Bluetounge Stadium. Support it, or enjoy the Soccer and the Yawnion.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
The Bears can not win on the CC...

If the North Sydney Bears went to the CC and it was a success then the CC would take the credit for it...

If it failed then the Bears would be to blame for it...

A new team representing the Central Coast is the only option, and then there is no one else to blame except themselves if it were to fall over...

Just my opinion..

If they do any sort of half-arsed move with the Bears to Gosford, it'll fall on its arse just like the Beagles did. To do otherwise if not giving people of the central coast what they want, a team they can call theirs.

If the Bears want to keep their history, keep it where it is now, in the same place as Balmain, Wests and Newtown.

MayMoo

Juniors
If they do any sort of half-arsed move with the Bears to Gosford, it'll fall on its arse just like the Beagles did. To do otherwise if not giving people of the central coast what they want, a team they can call theirs.

If the Bears want to keep their history, keep it where it is now, in the same place as Balmain, Wests and Newtown.

How in the hell could it be a half arsed move. ?

They built a stdium there over ten years ago and went broke in the process, and have been trying to get back there ever since as the Central Coast Bears - That's the Central Coast Bears (not the NS Bears).

The fact that the Central Coast Bears would bring back a hell of a lot of disenfranchised Bears supporters to the NRL, whilst at the same time giving the CC it's own team - I would have thought would be a massive bonus and holds this bid up over any other bid attemped bid or relocation etc.

Playing a game a year at NSO is a masterstroke, and whoever thought of the idea should get a pat on the back.

The North Shore is an adjoing terrritory as well.
It's such a good fit, It would be criminal for the team not to be the CC Bears.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another Bears thread? And you have a go at me for talking about the Reds!

They aren't in the frame as the NRL don't want to give a precious spot to ANOTHER NSW team. Simple enough to understand I would have thought.
Yes they want a team on the CC (hence why the relocation package is only available to move to the CC not to any where else) but they also want less teams in Sydney (despite what they say) and more teams in other parts of the country when the time is right.

How in the hell could it be a half arsed move. ?

They built a stdium there over ten years ago and went broke in the process, and have been trying to get back there ever since as the Central Coast Bears - That's the Central Coast Bears (not the NS Bears).

The fact that the Central Coast Bears would bring back a hell of a lot of disenfranchised Bears supporters to the NRL, whilst at the same time giving the CC it's own team - I would have thought would be a massive bonus and holds this bid up over any other bid attemped bid or relocation etc.

Playing a game a year at NSO is a masterstroke, and whoever thought of the idea should get a pat on the back.

The North Shore is an adjoing terrritory as well.
It's such a good fit, It would be criminal for the team not to be the CC Bears.

Playing any games at NSO is poor management/marketing if the Bears are to go to Gosford, in my opinion, of course. Putting that as part of the Bears' package to the NRL is insane.

TBH, any team that chooses to move lock, stock and barrell to Gosford will be miles in front of the Bears....

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

You ignorant prat.

The Bears effected a genuine relocation before Arko and the NRL did the deal to save Manly's broke arse. Then the CRL stepped in and told the Bears to leave.

The Northen Eagles was Manly - name, colours, people. Manly were happy for The Neagles to fail because the dodgy deal said Manly then got the NRL licence.

The equation is simple: the Bears created the opportunity for the CC to have a team. The add-on benefits are it brings the north shore back to rugby league and maintains the traditions of the game - similar to the Swans and Sth Melb Bloods.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely for the Bears to be succesful they would NEED to re engage with the old North Sydney fans as well as the new CC fans? Playing two games a year for the North Sydney fans, developing membership packs for the North Sydney fans and trying to engage with corporate supporters from the old Nth Sydney stomping ground will make the CC club stronger and more succesful. There has to be doubts if a stand alone CC team can survive and flourish over the next 20 years as large city teams without the NSW competition emerge and grow, a CC club+ gives them a lot more chance.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
An advantage also is that it ties up the North Shore back into League where more corporate dollars can come from into The National Rugby League. The Central Coast on its own may not have enough local corporate entities to throw big sponsorship bucks into the game and club

....we are talking about bringing back to the game some of the most affluent area's of Australia here let alone Sydney.

Plus the 600 000 untapped people (some of which disgruntled) to get into Rugby League, Which helps in killing off Rugby Union's only Australian heartland which is the North Shore.

You ignorant prat.

Aren't you the one who old us there were 2 million AFL players in Australia?

AFL - over 2 million people registered to play. NRL? Not even close.

LOL

The Bears effected a genuine relocation before Arko and the NRL did the deal to save Manly's broke arse. Then the CRL stepped in and told the Bears to leave.

You're breaking my heart.

The Northen Eagles was Manly - name, colours, people. Manly were happy for The Neagles to fail because the dodgy deal said Manly then got the NRL licence.

meh..

The equation is simple: the Bears created the opportunity for the CC to have a team. The add-on benefits are it brings the north shore back to rugby league and maintains the traditions of the game - similar to the Swans and Sth Melb Bloods.

errr, the equation is actually even simpler than that.

The Bears aren't in a position to make any demands and with any luck, Greg Florimo knows that.

If he doesn't, the Bears have no chance at being the next NRL team...

As for bringing the Bears back, I'll say what a lot of people are thinking, f**k the Bears, they had their chances and f**ked it up by going into a JV with a hated enemy who did what we all expected, they f**ked them over.

If they get a gig on the CC, fine, but if they never get back in the NRL, that's fine too. Stay in the NSW Cup and cherish what you have, rather than covet what you can't have.

An advantage also is that it ties up the North Shore back into League where more corporate dollars can come from into The National Rugby League. The Central Coast on its own may not have enough local corporate entities to throw big sponsorship bucks into the game and club

....we are talking about bringing back to the game some of the most affluent area's of Australia here let alone Sydney.

Plus the 600 000 untapped people (some of which disgruntled) to get into Rugby League, Which helps in killing off Rugby Union's only Australian heartland which is the North Shore.

Firstly, you won't kill off Union's heartland, it was there for plenty of years before the Bears went out of the NRL. It may be small, but it's going nowhere.

Secondly, when I see that f**kwit Mike Gibson on The Back Page, it reminds me just how little I want those disgruntled pricks back...

Perth Red

Post Whore

In terms of the geography how likely are the north shore people/companies to engage with a team playing in Gosford? Also why has Manly never been able to expand into this area?

As long as the Bears have a firm plan to fully engage the people of the CC and find a way to entice the Nth Shore to RL then it will work well. If we should give one of probably only two new places in the NRL that will be available for the next 10 years+ to another NSW team at the expense of expansion elsewhere is a big question.

BTW Blind, I do respect your opinion and think you argue the case well, but unfortunately for you every 5 good posts you make on the subject are shat on by a couple of complete fools who do the Bears no favours here...

meltiger

First Grade

Didn't Manly own the licence due to having made the top 14 post-99?

similar to the Swans and Sth Melb Bloods .

What is it with people making comparisons to North Sydney & Sth Melbourne/Fitzroy?

Two problems here.

#1 - The Swans & the Lions are franchises playing in "outpost" Aussie Rules areas that have little to no interest in the game. Maintaining Melbourne support bases is critical to their long term survival. The Central Coast is not a Rugby League "Outpost", it is RL Heartland. The old North Sydney base would not be critical to the clubs survival.
#2 - Even taking into account what I say above regarding the Melbourne support bases of the Swans & Lions ... Anyone care to name how many home games either side play outside of Sydney & Brisbane?

You'll find it's none.

mave

Coach
In terms of the geography how likely are the north shore people/companies to engage with a team playing in Gosford? Also why has Manly never been able to expand into this area?

As long as the Bears have a firm plan to fully engage the people of the CC and find a way to entice the Nth Shore to RL then it will work well. If we should give one of probably only two new places in the NRL that will be available for the next 10 years+ to another NSW team at the expense of expansion elsewhere is a big question.

Does this question seriously need a response?:lol:

I walked past North Sydney Oval on Grand Final day last year at about 7am dressed in my Manly gear. I passed a 60 year old bloke (who was power walking) who said to me "good luck today a**hole, you're going to need it". :lol::lol: Happy days.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does this question seriously need a response?:lol:

I walked past North Sydney Oval on Grand Final day last year at about 7am dressed in my Manly gear. I passed a 60 year old bloke (who was power walking) who said to me "good luck today a**hole, you're going to need it". :lol::lol: Happy days.

I wasn't so much talking about North Sydney as much as the whole North shore, which many claim will become the domain of the CC BEars if it happens.. Apparently there are 600,000 people in this area. If they were all die hard Bears fans then they must have had some massive crowds!

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
As for bringing the Bears back, I'll say what a lot of people are thinking, f**k the Bears, they had their chances and f**ked it up by going into a JV with a hated enemy who did what we all expected, they f**ked them over.

How can you comment on stuff you have no idea about?

Problem with rugby league is dildos like you who talk tough but have no idea about where the strength of the game lies. The Bears were cheated out of a licence - the last great open wound of superleague. there's a chance to heal this wound and give the game a massive boost - especially when most clubs are practically insolvent.

Think ahead, you moron.

skeepe

Immortal
How can you comment on stuff you have no idea about?

Problem with rugby league is dildos like you who talk tough but have no idea about where the strength of the game lies. The Bears were cheated out of a licence - the last great open wound of superleague. there's a chance to heal this wound and give the game a massive boost - especially when most clubs are practically insolvent.

Think ahead, you moron.

The Central Coast had a team. They didn't support them. They don't deserve another shot.

I'd also like to see your evidence to back up the assertion that most clubs are insolvent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
the last great open wound of superleague. .

Speak for yourself, watching 20 years of a States RL development disappear virtually overnight so they could have a team in melbourne left a gaping wound to us in WA that is only just starting to get a scab on it!:x

Red Bear

Referee
The Central Coast had a team. They didn't support them. They don't deserve another shot.

I'd also like to see your evidence to back up the assertion that most clubs are insolvent.
The gold coast had 3 f**king teams yet got another shot? That turned out reasonably well