What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

age.s

First Grade
So RLW doesn't get circulated in Qld now? Or are those hordes of Bombers fans too busy making disposable income to vote?

Or maybe as the cradle of RL and the biggest population center in the country the NSW market is by far the game's biggest and most important and servicing a major part of that market while healing the one great remaining SL rifts for NSW RL fans is more important than the dots on a map crowd would have you believe.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Credibility of poll destoyed...

Have you ever been to Bluetongue? It's definitely not the best stadium facility wise but it is the most picturesque with how it overlooks Brisbane Water. But haters are always going to hate.. whatever suits their agenda's I guess right?

I personally voted for Suncorp btw.

Last edited:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
So RLW doesn't get circulated in Qld now? Or are those hordes of Bombers fans too busy making disposable income to vote?

Or maybe as the cradle of RL and the biggest population center in the country the NSW market is by far the game's biggest and most important and servicing a major part of that market while healing the one great remaining SL rifts for NSW RL fans is more important than the dots on a map crowd would have you believe.

Apparently QLD doesn't have RLW, or access to the internet (since that's how the polls were conducted). Which is funny because I'm a QLDer in Queensland and had no troubles voting in either poll.. but some would want to make the masses on here believe that LU is the epi-center of the rugby league world in social media. Yet i'd be surprised if even 0.05% of any teams fan base are joined up on here.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Have you ever been to Bluetongue? It's definitely not the best stadium facility wise but it is the most picturesque with how it overlooks Brisbane Water. But haters are always going to hate.. whatever suits their agenda's I guess right?

I personally voted for Suncorp btw.

Yes I've been, and comparing it to Suncorp is like comparing a crack in the wall to the Grand Canyon...

This makes me think that the poll has been tainted by people that may have an "agenda"...

But keep looking at the world through those rose ( or should that be black and red) coloured glasses though....

BuffaloRules

Coach
Apparently QLD doesn't have RLW, or access to the internet (since that's how the polls were conducted). Which is funny because I'm a QLDer in Queensland and had no troubles voting in either poll.. but some would want to make the masses on here believe that LU is the epi-center of the rugby league world in social media. Yet i'd be surprised if even 0.05% of any teams fan base are joined up on here.

I couldnt be assed voting in the RLW poll, like I suspect 99% of RL fans...

paulmac

Juniors
I am an old bears supporter but I think it may be time Flo talked to the WARL about combining the best bits of our bids to make a submission the NRL couldnt refuse.Our tradition with the potential for growth in the west.West Coast Bears playing in red and black,with the odd game at NSO.North Sydney acting as feeder in the NSW cup,SG Ball and Matts.
From a tv perspective it would be better aswell.At the moment when an out of Sydney side comes to town ie the Titans,Cowboys etc no-one really cares and if the Pirates got in would be more of the same.

Beowulf

Juniors
I am an old bears supporter but I think it may be time Flo talked to the WARL about combining the best bits of our bids to make a submission the NRL couldnt refuse.Our tradition with the potential for growth in the west.West Coast Bears playing in red and black,with the odd game at NSO.North Sydney acting as feeder in the NSW cup,SG Ball and Matts.
From a tv perspective it would be better aswell.At the moment when an out of Sydney side comes to town ie the Titans,Cowboys etc no-one really cares and if the Pirates got in would be more of the same.

this has been discussed recently on this or another thread in recent days, with respect QLD more so than WA, but your point has merit that it would be advantageuos to all in the game if the Bears brand be retained - ideally Central Coast, but if not, then from an area that will have little support when they journey a dozen times to Sydney/year. Rather than playing in front of empty houses etc etc. Plus people in Sydney may actually watch the Bears on TV versus a Pirates/Reds/Bombers etc brand....The matter hasn't been discussed at CC BEars level, but who knows at NS Bears level should the ARLC in its wisdom decide the CC offers nothing to Rugby League?

I think that is a something that would have to be brokered by the ARLC in that event - ie telling a bidder you're only getting a license if you do a Sth Melbourne Swans. The way they incorporate their SMFC supporters is a good model to adopt - given the Reds became the pirates for 2 weeks then nothing, they have no brand image hence may be ammendable. Certainly the WARL said they would do it if there was no other way, and the ARLC had reservations about a WARL side having the expertise/experience to run a football club. This may be the way, in conjunction with WA or a QLD side, but only IF the ARLC say no, ever, to the CC Bears.

There will be meetings when the new CEO takes office and the ARLC meet in September - by November everyone involved in expansion should know where we're headed - to the promised land, or over a cliff!

Goddo

Bench
this has been discussed recently on this or another thread in recent days, with respect QLD more so than WA, but your point has merit that it would be advantageuos to all in the game if the Bears brand be retained - ideally Central Coast, but if not, then from an area that will have little support when they journey a dozen times to Sydney/year. Rather than playing in front of empty houses etc etc. Plus people in Sydney may actually watch the Bears on TV versus a Pirates/Reds/Bombers etc brand....The matter hasn't been discussed at CC BEars level, but who knows at NS Bears level should the ARLC in its wisdom decide the CC offers nothing to Rugby League?

I think that is a something that would have to be brokered by the ARLC in that event - ie telling a bidder you're only getting a license if you do a Sth Melbourne Swans. The way they incorporate their SMFC supporters is a good model to adopt - given the Reds became the pirates for 2 weeks then nothing, they have no brand image hence may be ammendable. Certainly the WARL said they would do it if there was no other way, and the ARLC had reservations about a WARL side having the expertise/experience to run a football club. This may be the way, in conjunction with WA or a QLD side, but only IF the ARLC say no, ever, to the CC Bears.

There will be meetings when the new CEO takes office and the ARLC meet in September - by November everyone involved in expansion should know where we're headed - to the promised land, or over a cliff!
I agree totally.

The Bears brand is valuable, and should be used by the game. However, that doesn't mean Gosford.

IMO, NSW does not need any additional licences, not while we have other places which demand attention. Perth, Brisbane and New Zealand all demand the ARLC's attention, fairly urgently (ie, by the end of the new TV deal, 2017). As well, we need to consider Adelaide and Central Queensland/Sunshine Coast.

But CC deserves some sort of access to NRL games, probably part time.

*South Quensland/Brisbane* Bears, playing a few away games at Gosford against the likes of Manly, Newcastle and Souths? That would be a good outcome.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn't be against it but I would want the WARL to have the controlling share of ownership so NS Bears couldn't do a Manly on us. Only down side would be if current fans of clubs in WA would switch to supporting a Bears branded WA team. They are willing to back a non historical rival new branded team but would they be happy to wear black and red, not so sure.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I still think the Bears brand would be a better fit for the 2nd Brisbane/ Ipswich team as opposed to the WA team.

Dont forget that the old Nth Sydney Bears used to have some fans in Brisbane...

I think a brand new team would be better for Perth..

t-ba

Post Whore
Could work in either city imo.

In terms of rivalries, the Manly one is about it, and that's based on geography rather than any great competition between the clubs. They hardly ignite passion in other supporter bases due to their sustained history of mediocrity (no offense intended, but besides a good run in the 1990's they've been sh*t since the Harbour Bridge ripped the heart out of their initial heartland). I can't see many people not supporting them in WA or QLD in a limited 'second team' capacity because 'they are Norths and I hate Norths.' They're about the least offensive Sydney club that has a sustained history in the top flight. Most people would wish them success.

It gives the Perth club a decent NSW supporter base, and what better club to act as a focal point for Broncos hatred in SEQLD than a Super League War Martyr with a recent history of playing some fan favourite Queenslanders?

It's time to move on from the CC. A bloody tragedy if you ask me, but the writing is now well and truly on the Wall. Brisbane/West Coast Bears ftw. It's now time for the clubs bordering Norths territory (The Wiggers, Parramatta, East and most importantly, Manly) to actually make a concerted effort of building supporter bases up in the old territory.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
If the NRL come out and say something like the "Central Coast won't have a team any time within the next 15 years - if ever" then the Bears need to look at this.

Honestly, the NRL needs to stop stringing these bid teams along and need to start making some plans.

We definitely want the Bears brand in the game.

Beowulf

Juniors
If the NRL come out and say something like the "Central Coast won't have a team any time within the next 15 years - if ever" then the Bears need to look at this.

Honestly, the NRL needs to stop stringing these bid teams along and need to start making some plans.

We definitely want the Bears brand in the game.

I'm confident they will add the CC BEars based on the fact they are low maintenance with benefits - what John Quayle said were the key criteria for entry....stadium built/paid off and close to heavy rail infrastructure, finance, instant guaranteed supporter base, sponsor demand, low cost for otehr teams. its up to the bid team to convince the ARLC if given the chance that we do add value and do not hurt Manly/Newcastle and to a lesser extent Roosters and Tigers. I think they can through increased FTA viewing, Pay subscriptions, digital broadcasting opportunities with the North Shore demographic, rivalry benefits for the aforementioned clubs and NRL merchandising opportunities with a Foundation brand.

Should that all fail and as you say the NRL advise it isn't going to happen, then yes, makes sense for the ARLC and non NSW bidders to start talking to the Bears re a Sth Melbourne scenario.

paulmac

Juniors
I wouldn't be against it but I would want the WARL to have the controlling share of ownership so NS Bears couldn't do a Manly on us. Only down side would be if current fans of clubs in WA would switch to supporting a Bears branded WA team. They are willing to back a non historical rival new branded team but would they be happy to wear black and red, not so sure.
You do realise that the reds wore red and black in 97.

age.s

First Grade
So what happens to the Central Coast and the north part of Sydney if the Bears become a Brisbane team? Manly aren't going to solve the problem. They're Manly, they'll continue to be Manly, play at Brookvale, be hard to get to for anyone outside the peninsular and generally appeal to people living near Manly. Meanwhile the area between St Ives to Wyong has nobody to connect with. Just throwing up hands and putting it in the too hard basket is a stupid idea when you've got a ready made bid willing to solve the problem for you once and for all.

If the Bears are going to have this horrible effect on every NSW team then we'll no doubt see a team from a non-viable area willing to move to SEQ. Let the team from the area that can't sustain it in a properly configured Sydney market be the one to take the fall. If no team takes the fall then we know that Sydney has the level of support it can sustain, and we introduce a new SEQ team when there's a bid the people of the area give a shit about.

We need to remember that we aren't the AFL. Our clubs can be run more cheaply, we need fewer players for our teams and have more than 3 Australian states from which to draw those players. We can and should plan for a scenario where the game has teams in all areas where support levels are high enough. That means doing thing right in all expansion areas and that includes the CC.

Beowulf

Juniors
So what happens to the Central Coast and the north part of Sydney if the Bears become a Brisbane team? Manly aren't going to solve the problem. They're Manly, they'll continue to be Manly, play at Brookvale, be hard to get to for anyone outside the peninsular and generally appeal to people living near Manly. Meanwhile the area between St Ives to Wyong has nobody to connect with. Just throwing up hands and putting it in the too hard basket is a stupid idea when you've got a ready made bid willing to solve the problem for you once and for all.

If the Bears are going to have this horrible effect on every NSW team then we'll no doubt see a team from a non-viable area willing to move to SEQ. Let the team from the area that can't sustain it in a properly configured Sydney market be the one to take the fall. If no team takes the fall then we know that Sydney has the level of support it can sustain, and we introduce a new SEQ team when there's a bid the people of the area give a shit about.

We need to remember that we aren't the AFL. Our clubs can be run more cheaply, we need fewer players for our teams and have more than 3 Australian states from which to draw those players. We can and should plan for a scenario where the game has teams in all areas where support levels are high enough. That means doing thing right in all expansion areas and that includes the CC.

age.s what you say is 100% correct and thats what SHOULD happen. The difficulty is that Manly and Easts have steered the direction of the NSWRL, ARL and NRL for over 50 years now.....despite the ARLC in place, the fear is that nothing in the best interests of the game will transpire IF IT IS GOING TO HAVE ANY POSSIBLE IMPACT on these two clubs. Thats why the Bears must jump through more hoops than any other bidder and prove they won't impact negatively on Manly in particular. Who thinks Manly would come out like Daniel Irvine did last night on The Game Plan in support of the Central Coast being Bears territory?.... kudos to him and the Sharks.

You're right - John Grant seeds to ensure from the start its the Commission that steers RL direction, not self-interested clubs.

BuffaloRules

Coach
If the Bears are going to have this horrible effect on every NSW team then we'll no doubt see a team from a non-viable area willing to move to SEQ. Let the team from the area that can't sustain it in a properly configured Sydney market be the one to take the fall.

Penrith perhaps?

age.s

First Grade
age.s what you say is 100% correct and thats what SHOULD happen. The difficulty is that Manly and Easts have steered the direction of the NSWRL, ARL and NRL for over 50 years now.....despite the ARLC in place, the fear is that nothing in the best interests of the game will transpire IF IT IS GOING TO HAVE ANY POSSIBLE IMPACT on these two clubs. Thats why the Bears must jump through more hoops than any other bidder and prove they won't impact negatively on Manly in particular. Who thinks Manly would come out like Daniel Irvine did last night on The Game Plan in support of the Central Coast being Bears territory?.... kudos to him and the Sharks.

Thing is having competition on the North side of the bridge would actually have a lot of positives for Manly. Our game is built on rivalry and tribalism. Having a hated enemy on your doorstep increases interest for fans of all clubs. Easts fans cheer for whoever's playing Souffs, Sharks fans do the same for the team playing the Dragons. You don't have to manufacture this emotion like the AFL is desperately trying to do in Sydney/SEQ, and the NRL would be doing with the Bombers/Broncos.

Penrith perhaps?

I would be devastated personally, but isn't this discussion supposed to rise above our personal bias towards our clubs? I don't see why Penrith would be effected by an team on the CC, but if it turned out that my club couldn't survive in Penrith then I would expect relocation to be an option that was looked at by all parties.

There was also a best case scenario in my post. All clubs are able to thrive in a properly configured Sydney RL market. I see no reason why a CC team would jeopardize that.

Joker's Wild

Coach

Where was the poll advertised? I didnt even know about it until the results were published here on LU

Status
Not open for further replies.