What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmar28

Bench
Basing this post on what I have gathered from the CC bid naysers..

* It seems that putting a team in Brisbane is expansion but Central Coast is not... yet there already is a presence in Brisbane (Broncos) but not one on the Coast.

* It seems that Brisbane is expansion yet Central Coast isn't, even though both areas already play rugby league religiously.

* It seems that Brisbane bid can use numbers outside greater Brisbane to influx their numbers but the Central Coast can't do the same with North Shore.

* It seems that 6 figure sponsorship deals towards Brisbane is great financial support yet the Central Coast's multi 7 figure sponsorship deals are half baked.

* It seems that no members is worth more than 6000 financial members.

* That having both political parties backing the CC bid is disgusting. Yet if pollies backed other bids it's all gravy and chips.

* That engaging in the community means little compared to sitting in an office pondering one's next move.

Then they say that us Central Coast Bears fans debate too much :sarcasm::lol:

Adding an 11th NSW team is not expansion. QLD has only 3 NRL teams and needs more.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Yes.... in 1967.

What is conveniently ignored by the CC cheer squad when pointing the finger at Newcastle is that the Knights paid for late 80s/early 90s upgrades out of their own pockets (while also paying all upkeep for the ground), and then had to wait until the stand was literally about to be condemned before getting anything close to a completed stadium... not to mention the state govt literally trying to bankrupt the club because of a minister's personal agenda.

Meanwhile, thanks to pork barrelling, the CC gets a stadium fully paid for before it has a team, before it is even able to support a team, arguably before it even has an identity as an area at all....

....and now an NRL team that doesn't exist gets a taxpayer funded "centre for excellence" while Brooky rots, Campbelltown is barely good enough for Group 20 matches, Leichhardt is a glorified goat track, Kogarah is still pathetically small.....

Just admit it, you are a huge benefactor of disgusting pork barrelling. The CC has been in many areas for a long, long time.

It's a close call - but that ranks as one of the stupidest, most ill-informed posts ever made.

The NRL told the Bears to relocate because NSO was unfit for NRL. the identity was to be teh Central coast Bears witha regional licence and excluded from being judged under teh criteria. The Bears contributed millions along with the Govt to building their new "home" stadium. Then - in one of the great frauds of the century - the Bears were declared "likely to be insolvent". If "likely to be insolvent" was applied to the whole of the NRL (not just North Sydney) then 90% of clubs would go under as well.

To simply describe this as 'pork barrelling" is plain stupid - or deliberate dissembling.

bobmar28

Bench
It makes more sense then moving into a foreign place. At least there is a guaranteed pool of juniors and players should they relocate to Brisbane/S.E.QLD/QLD. As well as infrastucture and support base for most clubs.

I know you're not against the Bears, I know your reasons. The Central Coast Bears have ticked all the boxes. Regular contact between the CCBears bid team and the NRL, kept the CCBears informed of what is/was needed. Encouragement to sell memberships and merchandise.

There is a strong community support base established, strong corporate and sponsor partners both major and locally. A strong business model and financial plan, coupled with the Sports Center of Excellence signed off.

It is foolish to assume we wont add anything in relation to TV dollars. We will, I guarantee that.

Have you asked the TV networks?

bobmar28

Bench
Ah, so you agree the best bid not taking into location is the Bears bid, The NRL have already said the best bid will be put into the NRL not the best located bid. Therefore Bears are in, finally you have made some sense.

Who said that and when did they say it?

bobmar28

Bench
Ummm....I said 'at present' as a peace-offering! I thought Tinkler's millions would have eased your worries anyway re the Central Coast's impact on Newcastle?

The NRL have said the most advanced bid will get the nod. The Bears have the most advanced bid. Therefore 'at present' they have the best model, maybe because the Bears had the tenacity and vision to start at this years ago.

Maybe 2 other bids will trump them in 3 months with 15,000 financial members and 150 sponsors with $40m in the bank and $10 million for training facilities....or TV execs might say we'll give you $1billion but we don't want the Bears in the TV deal.

Only time will tell. If that happens, the Bears can at least say they tried their best.

That is very likely imo.

Beowulf

Juniors
Have you asked the TV networks?

So you're suggesting not one person will be added to the TV viewing audience for NRL by adding the Bears. Well I will watch NRL again for a start, and take out Foxtel as well. I can think of a dozen others that aren't even CC Bears members that will as well. D Gallop estimated 40,000 have been lost to the NRL.

What you should say is that adding the Bears will not add to TV revenues as much as adding a SEQ side in your opinion. You may possibly be right, but there are a whole lot more criteria than just TV!

Beowulf

Juniors
Who said that and when did they say it?

David Gallop about 6 months ago. Its been posted on here and other sites if you don't believe me. To paraphrase from memory its something like
- there is no preferred area for expansion.

Others he has said to paraphrase from memory include:
- do we expand into new areas like Perth or heartland areas like the Central Coast or both....said multiple times
- the most advanced bid
- bid must demonstrate a sustainable model that adds value

AuDragon

Juniors
Sponsorships from nbn and prime. Extra value from the extra game. They point towards tv revenue. You honestly believe the CCBears won't add anything? Now that is dillusional!
See, that is exactly the sort of comments that really annoy me, because it twists what has been said!
Who said that the CCBears won't add anything to the TV revenue???

The CCBears won't add nearly AS MUCH as WA and/or Brisbane II would, I don't think there is any doubt about this.
And if the CC bid thinks this won't be of major influence in the NRL decision, they're delusional.

BDGS

Bench
Please do tell...

In NSW,

Penrith, Campbelltown, Parramatta, Blacktown etc etc are seen to be all part of Sydney by the residents and community.

In QLD,

Ipswich, Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Logan etc etc are not seen to be as part of Brisbane byt the residents and community.

AuDragon

Juniors
In NSW,

Penrith, Campbelltown, Parramatta, Blacktown etc etc are seen to be all part of Sydney by the residents and community.

In QLD,

Ipswich, Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Logan etc etc are not seen to be as part of Brisbane byt the residents and community.
I don't know about Logan, who is now pretty much embedded into Brisbane, and Ipswich who is now attached to West Brissie, but instead of calling the area "Greater Brisbane" as is done with Sydney, it's called SEQ.

But you're right that there is more of an individual identity to each of those communities.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wendell Sailor was today quoted in RLW as saying he doesn't believe Queensland can sustain any more teams, and doesn't want to see BNE2 go ahead.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Is it just me, or does the CC bid seem to have hit a bit of a dead patch over the last couple of weeks?

Yeah, an announcement from the incoming Liberal government of $3.5 million in funding for Bears headquarters at Kariong is a "dead patch" :sarcasm:

clarency

Juniors
Wendell Sailor was today quoted in RLW as saying he doesn't believe Queensland can sustain any more teams, and doesn't want to see BNE2 go ahead.

With respect to him I don't understand why they publish players opinions on such complex matters, to which they'd have just as much an idea as you or I.

Meh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts