What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blukablu

Juniors
So now thats Sailor, Tallis and Bennett.

Damn.. I guess they better just pack their stuff up and close the bid down.

Too bad the people that actually make the decision (the clubs) have said they don't want CC and prefer a Brisbane and WA team.

Too bad the people that actually make the decision (the clubs) have said they don't want CC and prefer a Brisbane and WA team.

Clubs don't make decisions like that. The NRL and future IC do.

BDGS

Bench

I didn't say they should, but having three influential figures against a bid saying the area itself can't sustain a team is a bad reflection on the bid. What hasn't made the media is the residents non-support for the bid.

But i agree having a 2nd Brisbane is important to the competition and we will need a team up there done right, unlike the current 2nd Brisbane bid.

Beowulf

Juniors

The IC with NRL heavyweights decide on expansion, otherwise the Broncos and Titans would veto Brisbane2 and Manly (and Newcastle if the Tinkler t/over fails) would veto CC Bears.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But i agree having a 2nd Brisbane is important to the competition and we will need a team up there done right, unlike the current 2nd Brisbane bid.

What do you feel is wrong with the bid that a different bid would improve? Some don't like private ownership (yet Bears appear to be moving that way and hard to argue Sth's are worse off for it), corporate heavy hitters seem to be running the bid which would seem a good thing from a financial sustainability point of view, stadium needs no comment. only community engagement is missing for me and they have two years to sort that out. Think it would be hard to argue that any new Brisbane team won't be able to draw 20k at least fans to start with.

BDGS

Bench

The clubs are part of the new IC. They each get a vote.

Wait... really? Wow... the Bears maybe falling down a peg if that's true...

The clubs will have no power in the IC unless a majority of clubs vote together against them.

If that was not the case, the Gold Coast and Brisbane would stop Brisbane 2 dead. While leaving the bears with only one team against them after Newcastle's Tinkler bid gets passed.

clarency

Juniors
Didn't I read an article not long ago stating that virtually no teams favoured a CC team?

As for Brisbane; Have the clubs management announced that they do not support a Bris2 side (former players hold no weight), and why?

I am also with PR when I question what reasons there are against the "current Bris2 bid is not adequate". They have covered a bit and their community chosen team name and jersey strip is a nice idea, though they do have some ground to cover. They don't appear that inadequate to me... at least.

BDGS

Bench
What do you feel is wrong with the bid that a different bid would improve?

Community engagement is missing for one, They have had huge natural disaster which lend a huge opportunity for any SEQ based bid to help out the community. You can argue that Brisbane2 at this stage was still an infant, and fair enough as well but people from those areas are still suffering today. A financial input into junior footy in the area would be an obvious starting point. Also, if the WA bid can get members then surely the any Queensland bid can put together some membership drives together to get the community feeling apart of it.

Secondly, the Brisbane 2 bid by their own admission are suppose to be a alternative choice to the Broncos. Yet the business is run very similar to the Broncos and i would go as far to describe it as a duplicate of the Broncos.

I don't like Davidson's attitude towards the bid and thus the bids attitude altogether and i don't think his motives to owning a NRL club are the right motives for the NRL to progress into the future. I also don't like the reaction from the bid when the NRL said a flat out no to having Centrebet be part owners of the potential team.

I would support a Brisbane or South East Queensland bid that would engage the community, both members and junior footy that contributed back to the area instead of staying in their offices that worked with the NRL in meeting whatever criteria the NRL will hold these bids to. This would by definition give the people of South East Queensland a true alternative to the Brisbane Broncos.

BDGS

Bench
Didn't I read an article not long ago stating that virtually no teams favoured a CC team?

It was a media beat up driven by certain people from certain teams. The result of that meeting is as follows:

1 NRL club against the CQ NRL Bid
2 NRL clubs against the Ipswich bid (only SEQ bid known at the time, the same 2 NRL clubs have since come out against Brisbane 2 in the media)
2 NRL clubs against the Central Coast NRL bid
1 NRL club against the WA NRL bid

blukablu

Juniors
It was a media beat up driven by certain people from certain teams. The result of that meeting is as follows:

1 NRL club against the CQ NRL Bid
2 NRL clubs against the Ipswich bid (only SEQ bid known at the time, the same 2 NRL clubs have since come out against Brisbane 2 in the media)
2 NRL clubs against the Central Coast NRL bid
1 NRL club against the WA NRL bid

No it was the majority of clubs, every NSW club plus more voted against you. Face it NSW has too many teams and you add nothing to the biggest revenue by far this game has (TV dollars).

clarency

Juniors
Who voted against WA?

Surely more than one team has enough common sense to see a CQ team is a stupid idea.

Beowulf

Juniors
No it was the majority of clubs, every NSW club plus more voted against you. Face it NSW has too many teams and you add nothing to the biggest revenue by far this game has (TV dollars).

Disagree on all fronts!
- Wrong on the voting. There was as much anti SEQ expansion as Central Coast anti expansion. In a perfect world, the Clubs said generally they preferred WA or CQLD or NZ expansion....but its not a perfect world, is it? Otherwise the Bears would still be in the comp! Only two teams were strongly opposed to the Bears, same as two were against SEQ. They'll all fall into line (except perhaps one) once they see the Bears bid will not threaten them. Not that that matters anyway, as its the IC and D Gallop who will call the shots.
- NSW, like anywhere, only has enough teams if there are no strong new candidates ready to go. The NRL have said location is irrelevant among the candidates.
- Re adding nothing, David Gallop has said the game has lost 40,000 fans with the removal of the Bears. There's a starting point, plus new fans on the Coast plus anyone who remembers the Bears fondly (most RL fans) will be more inclined to watch them on TV. Its the SIZE of the increase in revenue that can be legitimetly discussed. To say nothing is ludicrous.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
It's a close call - but that ranks as one of the stupidest, most ill-informed posts ever made.

The NRL told the Bears to relocate because NSO was unfit for NRL. the identity was to be teh Central coast Bears witha regional licence and excluded from being judged under teh criteria. The Bears contributed millions along with the Govt to building their new "home" stadium. Then - in one of the great frauds of the century - the Bears were declared "likely to be insolvent". If "likely to be insolvent" was applied to the whole of the NRL (not just North Sydney) then 90% of clubs would go under as well.

To simply describe this as 'pork barrelling" is plain stupid - or deliberate dissembling.

Close call, but that is one of your stupidest posts - and they are all extremely stupid, so that is a very high bar to jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts