What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuDragon

Juniors
On a note, I'm not handing in just opinions on here but have provided factual information which amazingly gets dismissed by people that know lesser.
Mate, I don't think anyone has put YOUR credibility at stake. I for sure don't!
If anything, I apologise some arguments in this thread affect all your hard work.

Version 6

Staff member
This thread (or any other for that matter) will have no impact on the expansion decision.

But I agree with the sentiments of your post. The hard work of those involved with all bids should be recognised. Whichever way the decision falls, the people involved a doing a great thing for the game in their respective aras.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Out of curiosity, there is a lot of talk on the Roar article about bookies betting on Expansion and that the Bears are the favourites....

Can anyone please provide the full market on this?

I find it hard to believe that people can bet on this at the moment...

clarency

Juniors
Also on the bookies side of things... How is the odds on price determined?

Is it a variable based on existing bets to ensure profit?

or

Do they just have a look at all options and give their own price based on research?

Beowulf

Juniors
A piss-poor article by journo Read in the Australian about a month ago mentioned in passing he had contacted bookmakers for odds on 2013 expansion. They framed a market for him. He didn't give exact odds, but Central Coast were clear favourites, no expansion was second favourite, then Perth & WA. CQLD & NZ were extreme outsiders from memory.

Beowulf

Juniors
Interesting to see the comments made by Gallop regarding all expansion teams (PNG, CQLD, SEQLD bids, CC, WA and Wellington) through Elbusto's post on the other major forum site.

Not sure if he has posted them up here.

Don't think he has but as it backs up all that some have been saying on here (and getting shot down for!), I'll take the liberty of quoting him (and you!) without permission - apologies to all concerned.

Originally Posted by El Diablo

He (David Gallop) didn't say too much on the TV rights deal as a whole SA.
Basically said that they're already working it out with both Nine and Fox, and working out the best time-slots for games, with the possibility arising that Monday night may be scratched, and moved to Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Only an idea though, but it may not necessarily happen.

On the note of expansion, Gallop didn't implicitly state the areas he would like to see teams go as such, as that might seem contradictory, but he did outline the pros and cons of each team with a bid.

Central Coast - Said that the idea with expansion, is all about going back to the NRL heartlands, and he sees the Central Coast region, and more importantly, the Bears name as a key part of the heartland regime in the area, and given they currently have the biggest support behind them, that does hold them in good stead. Not too many cons on the Bears as such, but he did raise the point of congestion between the Central Coast and Newcastle sides.

CQ - He said that he was impressed with what Central Queensland had to offer in many respects, but the one major concern raised was whether or not the population is there to regularly attend games.

Perth - Pointed out that Rugby League is growing, and growing rapidly in the region, and it is a possible area of expansion, given that a purpose-built stadium for League is now built, and they too have some strong backing. The downside was the distance that teams will have to travel in order to get to Perth, and also the possibility of players and families having to get up and leave to play on the other side of the country.

PNG - At some stage, but not anytime soon.

Wellington - Strong support in the area for the team, but same boat as PNG, and probably won't materialise for quite a while, though they are keen to venture into that avenue to try and get more NZ supporters into the game.

Originally Posted by L T Smash
No mention at all of South East Queensland bids?

Originally Posted by El Diablo
Very briefly, given that they're only all in the beginning phases.
He mentioned that an Ipswich had emerged, but was only in the starting phases.

Mentioned a second Brisbane team too with the backing of the Thoroughbreds, but said that he and the NRL had major concerns in relation to the congestion in the Brisbane CBD, and garnering support for a second team, given most already support the Broncos.

Based on the above, if the feedback is an accurate reflection of David Gallops comments, the Bears can be optimistic and probably Perth as the other side....surprisingly, even CQLD looks a better chance based on those comments than Ipswich or Brisbane2.

Perth Red

Post Whore
where are them Gallop quotes from? he's worried about players moving to Perth? Doesn't he know 15 odd players a year move to Europe!

Beowulf

Juniors
where are them Gallop quotes from? he's worried about players moving to Perth? Doesn't he know 15 odd players a year move to Europe!

There was an NRL fan day in Sydney today. Agree its a minor issue compared with his negatives re the QLD bids, hence I think Bears and Reds.....nothings changed in the past 6 months.

Spitty

Juniors

I seem to remember Gallop talking in the past, that he felt one of the strengths of our game was that most players (particularly polynesian players) could stay close to their families and rarely had to move far to play FG football. At least early in their careers. I think he was speaking specifically about the negatives of the AFL draft where the best young player might be from Perth, but he might have to uproot and move to Melbourne because a Melbourne team did poorly during the season.

It's a strange argument, but not the first time I've heard it from Gallop.

clarency

Juniors
It is an odd one...

The crystal clear advantage of having teams far apart is that it boosts loyalty. With 9 teams in Sydney anyone can just switch around willy nilly and not have to change anything about their lives at all.

Ben Hannant went from Bris to Syd only to think "aww sh*t... I don't like this" and went straight back. The more teams we see spread across the country the more "loyal" we will see players become.

adamkungl

Immortal
haha I don't believe we're discussing the distance to Perth in this day an age...we have a NZ team in the comp ffs, and netball comps and dud soccer comps manage to have a perth side.

clarency

Juniors
I hear the NZ <----> Perth is the furthest distance travelled by teams in any "domestic" competition in the world. I'm not surprised it's an issue.

Version 6

Staff member
At most it's three times a year. With one side doing it twice, and the other once.

It's not a massive conundrum, considering the Premiers travel to Europe each year for one match in the pre-season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I used to follow World League AF where 1/2 the teams where in Europe and the other half in Nth America, now that was travelling!

Just on the Gallop interview in TripleM, that is the least positive about expansion I have heard him. Seems the clubs are getting to him!

BDGS

Bench
Don't think he has but as it backs up all that some have been saying on here (and getting shot down for!), I'll take the liberty of quoting him (and you!) without permission - apologies to all concerned.

Not a problem mate, for those that don't know on the other forum i am L T Smash.

Based on the above, if the feedback is an accurate reflection of David Gallops comments, the Bears can be optimistic and probably Perth as the other side....surprisingly, even CQLD looks a better chance based on those comments than Ipswich or Brisbane2.

Yeah, i agree.

I wouldn't read to much into it mate, i think he just needed a negative (anything) and just through that out there. It's not a dint at all to the bid.

BDGS

Bench
I seem to remember Gallop talking in the past, that he felt one of the strengths of our game was that most players (particularly polynesian players) could stay close to their families and rarely had to move far to play FG football. At least early in their careers. I think he was speaking specifically about the negatives of the AFL draft where the best young player might be from Perth, but he might have to uproot and move to Melbourne because a Melbourne team did poorly during the season.

It's a strange argument, but not the first time I've heard it from Gallop.

It's not strange at all, its a good argument that highlights the advantages of not having a draft system.

Perth Red

Post Whore
but how does having a perth team equate to anything to do with a draft system? Moving to NQ from Illawarra is just as big a move for a kid as moving from Penrith to Perth! Fortunately players are bit tougher than Gallop gives them credit for, in our SG Ball team we have players from Q'land, NSw and NZ and they are all loving being over here and having an opportunity to live away from home.

re comments on Triple M, he was generally quite negative about the possibility of expansion and trotted out the recent club CEO's line about damaging other clubs finances if we expand now, this fed Geyer who carried on the theme (though Geyer did say Bears and Reds should def be in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts