What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGS

Bench
but how does having a perth team equate to anything to do with a draft system? Moving to NQ from Illawarra is just as big a move for a kid as moving from Penrith to Perth! Fortunately players are bit tougher than Gallop gives them credit for, in our SG Ball team we have players from Q'land, NSw and NZ and they are all loving being over here and having an opportunity to live away from home.

I think Elbusto may have tied something in with another.

Gallop has mentioned plenty of times why the draft is a bad idea and using Michael Jennings as a good example of a kid who grew up in Penrith and is now a super star in the same area.

On a different topic, (WA Reds) the only possible negative is will people move to WA to live? Which is easily countered by anybody with half a brain. I think Gallop just need something negative to say about the bid because he had said something negative about every other bid.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I hear the NZ <----> Perth is the furthest distance travelled by teams in any "domestic" competition in the world. I'm not surprised it's an issue.

In the Super 15, teams travel twice as far ( from NZ to Sth Africa).

They seem to be able to manage it...

BuffaloRules

Coach
re comments on Triple M, he was generally quite negative about the possibility of expansion and trotted out the recent club CEO's line about damaging other clubs finances if we expand now, this fed Geyer who carried on the theme (though Geyer did say Bears and Reds should def be in!)

As has been mentioned, its not up to Gallop. The IC will make the call on Expansion.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Out of curiosity, there is a lot of talk on the Roar article about bookies betting on Expansion and that the Bears are the favourites....

Can anyone please provide the full market on this?

I find it hard to believe that people can bet on this at the moment...

Anyone, or is this more Bears BS?

re: Skinny on expansion from the australian, skim through the pages here because the article is here somewhere. It was written quite clear in regards to the bookies. More Bears bs? More like
more bs from bears naysayers who can't read.

As has been mentioned, its not up to Gallop. The IC will make the call on Expansion.

Actually gallop will lead the ic and due to his involvement with the current bids, they will refer to him for advice as he has more information on each bid and re: expansion. Ultimately he will have the bid documents and therefore his input is being drastically under rated by you.

BDGS

Bench

Are you blind?

A piss-poor article by journo Read in the Australian about a month ago mentioned in passing he had contacted bookmakers for odds on 2013 expansion. They framed a market for him. He didn't give exact odds, but Central Coast were clear favourites, no expansion was second favourite, then Perth & WA. CQLD & NZ were extreme outsiders from memory.

clarency

Juniors
In the Super 15, teams travel twice as far ( from NZ to Sth Africa).

They seem to be able to manage it...

Super 15 is not considered a domestic comp, though you do make a good point.

While most teams will only make the trip once to Perth. The Perth team themselves will be making a lot of travel milage. I've never been to Perth before so I can't really comment on what the jet jag would be like, and whether I could deal with it fortnightly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I travel East every month'ish and apart from the first morning when it is 3hrs time difference there is no jet lag. Its not like other codes aren't coping with it with no problems (inc our SG Ball kids!). If we had 9am kick offs it might be a problem, but we don't so its not an issue. In this day and age a 4 1/2 hour flight is nothing.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Are you blind?

So in other words - no, there is no official market, just some bookie making up hypotheticals that you cant actually back.

Still doesnt stop some Bears supporters using this as evidence that the Bears are raging favourites for expansion and that "bookies rarely get it wrong"... ( even though in this case you cant actually get your money on with them..)

BDGS

Bench
So in other words - no, there is no official market, just some bookie making up hypotheticals that you cant actually back.

Still doesnt stop some Bears supporters using this as evidence that the Bears are raging favourites for expansion and that "bookies rarely get it wrong"... ( even though in this case you cant actually get your money on with them..)

I'm sure there are many bookies that would let you have a bet on NRL expansion, it may not be official but the options there.

And why would there be an official NRL expansion betting field? That's just silly.

Central Coast Bears membership drives are on today @

MCDONALDS ERINA
DATE: Saturday 12th March, 9:30am - 4pm
BRIDGEPOINT SHOPPING CENTRE MOSMAN
DATE: Saturday 12th March, 9:30am - 4pm
NSW CUP SEASON LAUNCH, LEICHARDT OVAL
DATE: Saturday 12th March, 11am - 4pm

Central Coast Bears are shopping for numbers
PEOPLE
12 MAR 11 @ 07:59AM BY ROWAN COWLEY

Bears fans Tim Blazey, Robert Lopez, four-year-old Jack Blazey, Carl Johnston and Alex Stojanovic.
THE Central Coast Bears will head to Bridgepoint Shopping Centre today as the club aims to take its membership numbers well beyond the 6000 mark.

The club has already exceeded its target of 5000 members by more than 1000 as it prepares to present its case for re-admittance to the NRL by the middle of the year.

Club representatives will be at the Mosman shopping centre from 9.30am-4pm offering membership packages and merchandise and foundation jerseys.

CEO Greg Florimo said the club was pleased to have exceeded its membership target and urged fans to turn up on Saturday to continue the momentum.

Florimo said while the side would be based on the Central Coast it would still be a team for the whole North Shore. He said the club was optimistic about its chances of taking part in NRL action again with expansion becoming a topic that was discussed by NRL executives on a daily basis.

If the Bears are re-admitted to the NRL, the club plans to play two games a year at North Sydney Oval including one trial game and the annual heritage round clash against Manly.

http://mosman-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/central-coast-bears-are-shopping-for-numbers/

Beowulf

Juniors
Nice anecdote from the Bears Foundation Sponsors luncheon at Terrigal yesterday. Billy Moore was talking about playing a semi in the 90's against Canberra. The Bears were pumped and on the field. Then Canberra came out - Meninga, Daley, Stuart, Lazarus, Belcher etc etc...to the Green Machine song. Gary Larson was fired up and turned to look at Billy Moore just before kick off to see him smiling at the Raiders stars and humming the Green machine song, saying '$%@ that song is good!'

Doesn't surprise me. I have said several times that expansion probably won't happen in 2013.

The NRL will probably want a year under the new TV deal to give the current clubs a bit of a financial "booster" to stabilise the comp as it is. I'd expect expansion to occur in 2014, and the impact on current clubs along with financial return from media/Sponsorship will be the two most important conciderations in issuing any new licence.

This is why the Bears seem so unlikely; but these are not things they can control. It will be Perth and a Queensland side in 2014, or nothing.

LOOK I just wanna say one thing about the central coast.

I'm sorry....IT IS A GOOD IDEA.

for 2003-6.

Not 20011 or beyond

Sorry guys, I truly think the comp has outgrown such a team for now. Unless its a relocation.

bobmar28

Bench
At the risk of repeating myself. With so many other areas crying out for a team an 11th NSW franchise would be insane.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Ignore lists are great. I have no idea what you said, but being backed up by Braindead Bob and his "Punt anyone but Canterbury" dribble, I can guess it was similarly idiotic and f*cking pointless.

Have you lost your virginity yet? Or is the cat still avoiding you?

Goddo

Bench
Why the F*** did this get a new thread? And don't quote me if you are just dribbling.

Mods delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts