What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No I haven't indicated I was there but I also haven't indicated I wasn't there. Yet you assumed automatically that the former was the case. The fact I was there or in the artic circle living with polar bears is moot. Where is the evidence that Gallop 'absolutely canning the Brisbane bid'? If he did say this there should be evidence as a statement as strong as this would not have gone unnoticed by the media.

I'm sorry my post wasn't civil - I didn't realize you were such a delicate flower.

:lol: Not delicate at all, just don't see the need for the torrent of abuse you unleashed. Shows your argumentative skills up to be piss poor tbh.

There's a certain hypocrisy in your statement - I'm not allowed to assume you were there or weren't there - yet you can assume that what Beowulf's saying is automatically incorrect or infactual?

:lol: Make up your mind. Are assumptions allowed or not?

BDGS

Bench
Minor point: SEQ won the last expansion spot. So it's bleedingly obvious it should be their turn again.

What the f*ck has that got to do with anything?

Under that logic every new team from now until forever has to be from SEQ.

SEQ winning last expansion is a reason not to give them another one more then anything, even that argument isn't strong one.

BDGS

Bench
yes, and I'm still waiting for a logical answer! The Bears bid have made a big thing about the date the bid is being submitted, as someone who writes heaps of submissions for grants I find it very bizarre you would put in a submission before tenders are even called for. I am sure there is some logic to why they are doing so but no one has yet told me it.

If RBB answers aren't logical, then i'm sure you will be given a logical answer from the bid itself when it goes into the NRL.

Red Bear

Referee
LOOK I just wanna say one thing about the central coast.

I'm sorry....IT IS A GOOD IDEA.

for 2003-6.

Not 20011 or beyond

Sorry guys, I truly think the comp has outgrown such a team for now. Unless its a relocation.
Sure, long term planning is important, but I dont personally think we should plan that far ahead

BDGS

Bench
I think even the slowest mind in the world will now see that the NRL are obviously favouring the Central Coast and WA.

Gallop just keeps saying it, but i know gallop won't make the deicison the IC will, whose will be the leader of the IC? Gallop, ahh so he's say is important. He knows more then any other person on all the bids, the Central Coast working along side the Gallop has pretty much secured them a spot. WA is a no brainer.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
:lol: Not delicate at all, just don't see the need for the torrent of abuse you unleashed. Shows your argumentative skills up to be piss poor tbh.

There's a certain hypocrisy in your statement - I'm not allowed to assume you were there or weren't there - yet you can assume that what Beowulf's saying is automatically incorrect or infactual?

:lol: Make up your mind. Are assumptions allowed or not?

You tell me - you're the one who brought the subject up. I at no stage said Beowulf's statement was infactual or incorrect I merely suggested that it was an exaggeration. It was you who made the assumption that I regarded it as infactual/incorrect. Neither did I suggest that Beowulf was not at the forum, it was you that made the assumption that I presumed he was not there.

I tend to unleash 'torrents of abuse' at individuals that I know commonsense argument has little effect on. It seems that you fit this category. That is if you give your permission for me to make that assumption.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Juniors
OK, 'canned' was a bit of an exaggeration! But I'm going on what was posted on this site last week regarding someone who was at the fan day at Casula, where David Gallop was unusually forthright, no doubt not thinking any comments would be picked up on.

Perhaps the best words to use were that he dampened expectations of a Brisbane team, not totally canned. But to be honest, my concern is with the Central Coast bid, and his comments on Friday on MMM were even more encouraging, talking up the need for a team in Central Coast/northern Sydney because they cannot get to a ground easily (Brookvale for those unaware is not on a train line and there are few if any buses from the north shore to brookvale, let alone Central Coast).

As for talk on why the Bears are presenting their bid now, its because 2 years ago they identified that the NRL would be in TV discussions at this point and they wanted to have a strong bid in place so the NRL could say to the executives 'look, we have one team ready to go (Central Coast) and we're looking at x and x and x locations for a second team.' My guess is the NRL will say to the Bears it's fantastic you're ready, but lets wait a month till the IC is in place for your bid. Meanwhile, they will be used in the discussions re TV rights that are already underway as evidence to the TV execs that the NRL will have 18 teams soon and therefore want a better deal - I confirmed in person with Greg Pritchard that talks have commenced.

It may well be they put the Bears + 1 off till 2014 or they may decide, like AFL, to have Bears in 2013 and 1 in 2014. I think they'll analyse to see how the AFL go for a few months plus see if Perth in particular can accelerate their bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As for talk on why the Bears are presenting their bid now, its because 2 years ago they identified that the NRL would be in TV discussions at this point and they wanted to have a strong bid in place so the NRL could say to the executives 'look, we have one team ready to go (Central Coast) and we're looking at x and x and x locations for a second team.'

I doubt that it will matter TBH. It is much more likely they will go to the TV execs and say:

We plan to expand by two teams. This will give you one extra game a week to show, For that extra game we want $x. These are the areas we have the option to expand into and the advantages we see for your TV station, tell us which ones you would consider most valuable.

I wish it was different but NRL is a reactive organisation and will simply react to what TV dictate I fear in regards to expansion.

Reality is there are 3 bids that will probably stack up and be viable so it will be a case of choosing two of those three.

I think personally there are some sides in the league at the moment whom are going to be a lot weaker then the Bears and thus excluding a better option to keep a weaker one is a poor option for the game.

Beowulf

Juniors
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/znrl/league-coasting-to-death/story-e6frfgh6-1226021300353

THE NRL dodged a bullet on Sunday night - you just wonder if they realise how lucky they are.
If the Central Coast Mariners had won the A-League grand final, it would have been good night for rugby league on the Coast.

The people up there are sick and tired of being treated as second-class citizens. I'm one of them.

League on the Coast has been on life support for a couple of decades.

And after the Mariners' success, soccer no longer has a foot in the door, it has a foot on the throat.

Last Sunday, I was driving to Canberra to watch the Raiders take on the Sharks in the NRL when I heard David Gallop on Triple M's Footy Forum talking about the Central Coast Bears.

I nearly drove off the road laughing. I reckon I'm like a lot of people on the Coast right now - fed up with false hope.

What the NRL must understand is the Central Coast already has its team - they're called the Mariners.

League must win back the area.

As for Sydney people telling us we don't want the Central Coast Bears, they're wrong. That used to be the case, but not any more - because there is no alternative.

If another group put up their hands called the Central Coast Dolphins, I'd be backing them.

But despite all the criticism of David Fairleigh and the Bears, at least he's having a crack.

They first started talking about taking a rugby league team to the Central Coast in 1983. It is now 2011.

Nothing's changed in all that time - except the Mariners.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I love the Mariners, but that's a load of garbage. Their average home crowd is nowhere near what a Rugby League team on the Coast would be.

Beowulf

Juniors
As for Sydney people telling us we don't want the Central Coast Bears, they're wrong. That used to be the case, but not any more - because there is no alternative.

If another group put up their hands called the Central Coast Dolphins, I'd be backing them.

But despite all the criticism of David Fairleigh and the Bears, at least he's having a crack.

They first started talking about taking a rugby league team to the Central Coast in 1983. It is now 2011.

Talking to fans on the Coast constantly, the highlighted area sums up the vast majority on the coast pretty well. Bears volunteers get told constantly by locals 'we understand it's Bears or nothing, and we're joining because we want a team'. Talking to a President of one of the local clubs on Friday, he said the feeling in his Club is that once a license is granted, the Bears will be swamped by local support.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I heard Graham Arnold ( Mariners Coach) on the radio this morning saying that as the A-League doesnt re start again until October, he will be turning into " a massive league fan" during the off season....

I dont think Rugby League has to much to fear on the CC...

BDGS

Bench
You tell me - you're the one who brought the subject up. I at no stage said Beowulf's statement was infactual or incorrect I merely suggested that it was an exaggeration. It was you who made the assumption that I regarded it as infactual/incorrect. Neither did I suggest that Beowulf was not at the forum, it was you that made the assumption that I presumed he was not there.

I tend to unleash 'torrents of abuse' at individuals that I know commonsense argument has little effect on. It seems that you fit this category. That is if you give your permission for me to make that assumption.

You do that a lot, the person that gave the comments on what Gallop said was not Beowulf it was El Diablo. El Diablo is fairy neutral on expansion.

BDGS

Bench
OK, 'canned' was a bit of an exaggeration! But I'm going on what was posted on this site last week regarding someone who was at the fan day at Casula, where David Gallop was unusually forthright, no doubt not thinking any comments would be picked up on.

Perhaps the best words to use were that he dampened expectations of a Brisbane team, not totally canned. But to be honest, my concern is with the Central Coast bid, and his comments on Friday on MMM were even more encouraging, talking up the need for a team in Central Coast/northern Sydney because they cannot get to a ground easily (Brookvale for those unaware is not on a train line and there are few if any buses from the north shore to brookvale, let alone Central Coast).

As for talk on why the Bears are presenting their bid now, its because 2 years ago they identified that the NRL would be in TV discussions at this point and they wanted to have a strong bid in place so the NRL could say to the executives 'look, we have one team ready to go (Central Coast) and we're looking at x and x and x locations for a second team.' My guess is the NRL will say to the Bears it's fantastic you're ready, but lets wait a month till the IC is in place for your bid. Meanwhile, they will be used in the discussions re TV rights that are already underway as evidence to the TV execs that the NRL will have 18 teams soon and therefore want a better deal - I confirmed in person with Greg Pritchard that talks have commenced.

It may well be they put the Bears + 1 off till 2014 or they may decide, like AFL, to have Bears in 2013 and 1 in 2014. I think they'll analyse to see how the AFL go for a few months plus see if Perth in particular can accelerate their bid.

I don't know Greg, but it backs up what i was saying a few weeks ago.

BDGS

Bench
I think personally there are some sides in the league at the moment whom are going to be a lot weaker then the Bears and thus excluding a better option to keep a weaker one is a poor option for the game.

Which teams?

Newcastle won't, Manly shouldn't ... The bid isn't even located in the same city.

BDGS

Bench
I heard Graham Arnold ( Mariners Coach) on the radio this morning saying that as the A-League doesnt re start again until October, he will be turning into " a massive league fan" during the off season....

I dont think Rugby League has to much to fear on the CC...

what does this particular one person have anything to do with the NRL bids?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Considering David Gallop last week absolutely canned a Brisbane team at the NRL fan day at Casula on Thursday and was lauding a team on the Coast both there and on MMM (Friday) due to the vital need to connect with northern Sydney, me thinks you may be bitterly disappointed.

David Gallop is obviously insane.

You do that a lot, the person that gave the comments on what Gallop said was not Beowulf it was El Diablo. El Diablo is fairy neutral on expansion.

WTF?

Im not sure your comprehension skills are up this debate....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts