What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuffaloRules

Coach
what does this particular one person have anything to do with the NRL bids?

Nothing...

Im referring to the newspaper article being discussed in the posts above mine that the Mariners are taking over RL on the Central Coast....

The seasons are now distinctly opposite with no cross over at all..

Do try and keep up....

CC_Roosters

First Grade
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/znrl/league-coasting-to-death/story-e6frfgh6-1226021300353

THE NRL dodged a bullet on Sunday night - you just wonder if they realise how lucky they are.
If the Central Coast Mariners had won the A-League grand final, it would have been good night for rugby league on the Coast.

The people up there are sick and tired of being treated as second-class citizens. I'm one of them.

League on the Coast has been on life support for a couple of decades.

And after the Mariners' success, soccer no longer has a foot in the door, it has a foot on the throat.

Last Sunday, I was driving to Canberra to watch the Raiders take on the Sharks in the NRL when I heard David Gallop on Triple M's Footy Forum talking about the Central Coast Bears.

I nearly drove off the road laughing. I reckon I'm like a lot of people on the Coast right now - fed up with false hope.

What the NRL must understand is the Central Coast already has its team - they're called the Mariners.

League must win back the area.

As for Sydney people telling us we don't want the Central Coast Bears, they're wrong. That used to be the case, but not any more - because there is no alternative.

If another group put up their hands called the Central Coast Dolphins, I'd be backing them.

But despite all the criticism of David Fairleigh and the Bears, at least he's having a crack.

They first started talking about taking a rugby league team to the Central Coast in 1983. It is now 2011.

Nothing's changed in all that time - except the Mariners.

I read this in the tele today and was gobsmacked! This guy has absolutely no idea, is he even from the coast as i have never heard of him. The laughable parts for me are "life support" and "win back". I have only lived here for 8 months but its enough to know league is king, everybody talks about it and everyone seems to have a team. Sure many follow the mariners and hope they do well, probably A LOT follow both codes. Example being, i watched the HAL final with a dozen or so people all of whom play soccer but support NRL clubs.

I don't know what shape the game is at the junior and grade levels here, somebody more involved might elighten me??

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
I don't know what shape the game is at the junior and grade levels here, somebody more involved might elighten me??

It's going great at junior level, with year-on-year growth, the odd new club popping up and expanded female comps. That's only going to get better when the Bears make it back to the big time.

As for the article... I just took a dump that was a better summation of the sporting culture of the Coast. The Semen are nothing - no-one gives a sh*t about them.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I'm a soccer fan as well as a league one, but how can the Mariners be king when they got 7500 to their prelim final last week?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You do that a lot, the person that gave the comments on what Gallop said was not Beowulf it was El Diablo. El Diablo is fairy neutral on expansion.
And Beowulf, who I have no beef with at all, requoted what El Diablo said in an exaggerated fashion. Which Beowolf freely admitted to. And I'm not sure that El D would appreciate you calling him a fairy neutral.

This happened a day ago Bear and has been dealt with. Try and keep up lad.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Central Coast barely pulled 7000 for the semi final in the A-League. Central Coast Mariners are still years behind where league is.

The Bears will come , who knows when but when they do they will own that territory.

Beowulf

Juniors
The Bears are actually in preliminary talks with the Mariners about working together on a lot of issues. With the reduction in the A league calendar, there is no crossover and no direct competition, except for junior sport where league and soccer both play Saturday mornings in winter.

But at a senior level, things like joint promotions, joint advertising, joint charity support are a great possibility. Only Newcastle could really do the same regional co-operation between soccer/league (with NQLD Fury folding), particulary if as expected Tinkler gets the Knights.

Both Knights and Bears and their soccer equivalents will be able to sell year-round discounted memberships...e.g iso $250 Mariners & $300 Bears for a season ticket, a year-round ticket may be $450. The aim is to unite the community with 2 teams - 1 in winter, 1 in summer.

Joint training/office facilities were also promised by Gillard, but she failed to deliver...luckily Barry O'Farrell will kick the can for $3.5m at Mt Penang for the Bears if they get the nod. And he will honour his promise. He couldn't live in his electorate otherwise and regardless, Joe Hockey will be on his case daily!

Goddo

Bench
^ There is little cross over between soccer and RL anyway - the physical attributes are different. Generally, the two sports are complimentary.

The relationship between Soccer (soft sport, strong among juniors) and Rugby League (brutal, most popular code) is one of the forces keeping AFL out. So little wonder the story comes out of Melbourne.

They also use the same shaped stadiums, again, locking AFL out of stadium funding grants. This article is just a whinge about both codes for a Victorian audience.

BDGS

Bench
WTF?

Soccer and Rugby League are both forms of football, if they are played at the same time there is a cross over and a fight for tv ratings, juniors and crowd numbers.

That is the cross over being talked about.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
It's going great at junior level, with year-on-year growth, the odd new club popping up and expanded female comps. That's only going to get better when the Bears make it back to the big time.

As for the article... I just took a dump that was a better summation of the sporting culture of the Coast. The Semen are nothing - no-one gives a sh*t about them.

Great to hear that

AuDragon

Juniors
But at a senior level, things like joint promotions, joint advertising, joint charity support are a great possibility. Only Newcastle could really do the same regional co-operation between soccer/league (with NQLD Fury folding), particulary if as expected Tinkler gets the Knights.
I don't see why. Storm / Victory; Broncos / Roar; Titans / GC United; Perth Reds / Glory, etc... could all have some sort of partnership that would not affect eachother's bottom line and ratings.
Sydney would be a bit of a problem due to the amount of NRL clubs per square Km.

Beowulf

Juniors
I don't see why. Storm / Victory; Broncos / Roar; Titans / GC United; Perth Reds / Glory, etc... could all have some sort of partnership that would not affect eachother's bottom line and ratings.
Sydney would be a bit of a problem due to the amount of NRL clubs per square Km.

I was more talking about regional teams with only R.L and soccer due to their lack of senior crossover and hence unique opportunities for greater community joint promos.

AuDragon

Juniors
I was more talking about regional teams with only R.L and soccer due to their lack of senior crossover and hence unique opportunities for greater community joint promos.
Fair enough, but why restrict it to that? The way I see it, is that RL and soccer, which probably is the fastest growing code in Australia, are 2 codes that can live with eachother really well, and could possibly even help minimize the interest in AFL.

BDGS

Bench

What about the heart? they left with rugger?

The NEXT Central Coast Bears membership drive is @

SATURDAY 19TH MARCH
WHERE: Breakers Country Club & Resort, Wamberal
TIME : 2pm - 7pm

WHERE: Big Bear Shopping Centre, Neutral Bay.
TIME : 10am - 2pm
SUNDAY 20TH MARCH

WHERE: Central Coast District RL Season Launch
TIME/VENUE : 1pm - 6pm @ Gosford Race Club

WHERE: Berowra Juniors Family Fun Day
TIME/VENUE : 11am - 3pm @ Warrina Street Oval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts